You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-28 09:48:52

maevius
Website

Trinity Desktop Environment - KDE3 fork

I searched the forums and didn't find an oficial TDE thread so, I'm starting this one. Installation is now much more easier as there is a repository with all the needed packages. Thanks to David Rankin for all the arch packaging. More info in the wiki page (I cleaned it up a bit). For all it's worth, I tried instaling TDE in a virtualbox image with no hickups, everything went according to plan smile

#2 2012-08-28 10:12:53

Jodell

Re: Trinity Desktop Environment - KDE3 fork

There's a thread on the forums. I haven't seen it be bumped for a while though.

#3 2012-08-28 10:23:56

maevius
Website

Hmm I searched and all I ound where topics where users requested some help. If it's needed, topics will be merged, thanks.

Edit: Is this the one you were talking about? https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=135771

Last edited by maevius (2012-08-28 10:28:57)

#4 2012-09-01 21:25:37

slot

maevius wrote:

Installation is now much more easier as there is a repository with all the needed packages. Thanks to David Rankin for all the arch packaging. More info in the wiki page (I cleaned it up a bit). For all it's worth, I tried instaling TDE in a virtualbox image with no hickups, everything went according to plan smile

Sounds great - what are the possibilities or procedure for upgrading from 3.5.12 to 3.5.13 - smooth? tried?

I read that 3.5.14 will not be backward compatible, I take it to mean not upgradable. But what about reusing user settings, migrating mail etc.?

Thanks for the effort.

#5 2012-09-04 23:52:09

mythus
Website

Just want to mention, the 14.0 repository return a 404 error.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#6 2012-09-05 00:22:24

maevius
Website

@slot
I installed straight from 3.5.13 so I don't know what the transition would be like.

@mythus
The 14.0 packages aren't uploaded yet. It's up to David.

#7 2012-09-05 10:56:51

slot

what are the possibilities or procedure for upgrading from 3.5.12 to 3.5.13 - smooth? tried?

I read that 3.5.14 will not be backward compatible, I take it to mean not upgradable. But what about reusing user settings, migrating mail etc.?.

So there were no upgrade path - file conflicts prompted removal of kdemod3 packages, sip and libart-lgpl, then install of the tde-base, which starts up fine and puts it's configurations in .trinity.

then it might be possiple to copy over some configurations from the old .kdemod3.

Will there be any fundamental change in configuration files from .13 to .14?
If not then from a user's perspective there is afaik no difference in 'backwards compatibility' between the to versions relative to older versions.

No backward compatibility in .14 then probably means that you will have to follow the same procedure once again when moving from .13 to .14 - am I getting this right??

#8 2012-09-24 23:53:54

kwd

Hi all

I tried to install Trinity 3.5.13 from the information and packages listed on this post:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Trinity

I started with a new install of Arch on a typical AMD desktop system, using the Arch September 2012 ISO image.  I installed and tested Xwindows and the Nouveau open source video driver.  I then setup several users and fixed the "root not having a .bashrc problem".

After testing the base system I made a custom repository on my hard drive and downloaded all the packages for Trinity x86_64 into the repository and used add-repo to create the database and then checked to make sure pacman could see and use the custom repo.  I made a custom repo because my Internet is slow and goes out occasionally--besides if you have to repeat the install it is much faster from the custom repo. Every thing seemed fine at this point.

I then ran "pacman -Sy tde-base" as root and it said custom was up to date, indicating it saw and could use the repo. 

Then after,
-----------------
checking package integrity,
loading package files
checking for file conflicts"
-----------------

appeared on the screen I got this error message:

-----------------
error: failed to commit transactions (conflicting files)
util-linux /bin/kill exist in filesystem
util-linux /bin/su exist in filesystem
util-linux /etc/pam.d/su exist in filesystem
util-linux /sbin/sulogin exist in filesystem
util-linux /usr/bin/mesg exist in filesystem
util-linux /usr/bin/utmpdump exist in filesystem
util-linux /usr/bin/wall exist in filesystem
util-linux /usr/share/man/man1/kill.1.gz exist in filesystem
util-linux /usr/share/man/man1/mesg.1.gz exist in filesystem
util-linux /usr/share/man/man1/su.1.gz exist in filesystem
util-linux /usr/share/man/man1/utmpdump.1.gz exist in filesystem
util-linux /usr/share/man/man1/wall.1.gz exist in filesystem
util-linux /usr/share/man/man8/sulogin.8.gz exist in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
-----------------

Should I just delete these files (with a backup) or tell pacman to ignore them and then try to re-install?

Since these files are always installed by a distro, I'm confused.  If Trinity needed to use it's own versions of these files, I would have expected the package would either say so or overwrite the existing files.

Could this problem be because I was installing Trinity as root instead of as a normal user or somehow because I was using a custom repository?

Thanks

kwd

"A newspaper is not just for reporting news,
it's to get people mad enough to do something about it."

--Mark Twain

#9 2012-09-25 08:06:01

maevius
Website

This isn't Trinity related. See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=149509

#10 2012-09-25 09:27:34

slot

So far I have installed Trinity 3.5.13 on 4 computers - three were replacements of kdemod. It was successful on 3, but on one computer it does complain when launching:
Krandtray crashed signal 11
Korgac crashed signal 11
Klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_file'
A kde text editor component could not be found
Desktop preview & pager applet could not be loaded
Taskbar  applet could not be loaded
System tray  applet could not be loaded
Clock  applet could not be loaded

I have tried to create a new user and also to log in as root - same problems.
I  have checked that it is the tde version of hal and qt3 that are installed.
I have tried to install tde again

And I don't seem to get further with it - where can I look for tde specific error messages - any ideas??

Update:
Removing /opt/kde /opt/kde3 and /opt/kdemod3 (had uninstalled all kde packages already) and then reinstalling tde did the trick.

Last edited by slot (2012-10-04 12:45:47)

#11 2012-09-25 17:50:08

kwd

maevius wrote:

Thanks maevius

I feel kinda stupid.  I did some Google searching before I posted here, using keywords like: archlinux, "conflicting dependencies", "exist in filesystem", etc. but got too many hits to go through all of them and none of the headers looked like they directly applied to my problem.  When you posted the link you found, I did a bunch of Google searches to see if I could find the link you provided using my keywords.  I had the same problem of too many hits with those searches.

FINALLY... I realized that adding "solved" to my searches might reduce the number of hits.  THEN, it came up on the first line--making me feel stupid that I had never thought of doing this before when I had problems to find.  Thanks for the lesson and enlightenment...

Back to my problem, the solution was:

Removing ALL the packages that are listed as "exist in filesystem"  and re-running "pacman -S tde-tdebase".

That solved the problem and the instalation finished with no error messages and I now have Trinity up and working.

"A newspaper is not just for reporting news,
it's to get people mad enough to do something about it."

--Mark Twain

#12 2012-09-25 20:50:59

maevius
Website

Yeah, next time do a search in the forum for the package in question, in your case util-linux wink

#13 2012-09-25 23:51:18

Silex89

maevius wrote:

I searched the forums and didn't find an oficial TDE thread so, I'm starting this one. Installation is now much more easier as there is a repository with all the needed packages. Thanks to David Rankin for all the arch packaging. More info in the wiki page (I cleaned it up a bit). For all it's worth, I tried instaling TDE in a virtualbox image with no hickups, everything went according to plan smile

I tried it too and wooooh! smile what a great experience, such good old times with KDE3.

Thanks a lot to the developers and the Arch personnel for making this possible! big_smile

Regards

"The way your heart sounds makes all the difference" John Myung

I love Dream Theater! ImL
Best Guitar Solo Ever

#14 2012-10-04 13:20:41

slot

Checking mail from some IMAP servers is not possible - error message is:

"SASL authentication is not compiled into kio_imap4"

It seems to be a packaging issue like these:

http://bugs.trinitydesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=809
http://bugs.trinitydesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=771

Regards

Steen

Update: It wasn't a packaging issue - it was some left overs from the earlier 3.5.12 kmail IMAP account. Delete account + delete some files in imap directory in ~/.trinity/share/apps/kmail/ and recreating the account did the trick.

Last edited by slot (2012-12-18 13:28:20)

#15 2012-10-04 15:25:28

slot

I did not get trinity to start by editing the inittab - it 'respawns too fast' and then waits for 5 minutes.
It can start from the daemons line in rc, but it does not activate limits.conf  so jack does not work.

Update: When using SLIM the limits.conf settings are activated - but I would prefer tdm as login manager

Last edited by slot (2012-10-05 09:21:31)

#16 2012-10-05 09:10:32

plustwo

I did a fresh install of Archlinux 64bit as a dual boot with Win8Ent, with the help of the beginners guide( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide ). Not forgetting to install HAL from AUR of which is really needed. I then followed the trinity wiki ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Trinity - 3.5.13) for the installation and config. All went well, trinity started with startx - no problems. Then I decided to load Qingy ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Qingy ) and did the configurations there and there. As from now on, I'm very impressed and brave to have done this type of configuration without any hickups and draw backs. Thanks to the Arch developers and Trinity team including Qingy team.

one happy proud user of "Arch+Qingy+Trinity"

tnx
plustwo

#17 2012-10-05 14:22:22

slot

Do you have USB working?? and K3B not crashing??

#18 2012-10-05 14:36:38

plustwo

slot wrote:

Do you have USB working?? and K3B not crashing??

@ slot, so far USB mouse works, USB storage not working. I thought i'll do some research first as I'd like to restore some data from USB devices. no USB crashes. will update.

#19 2012-10-05 14:42:50

slot

@plustwo, I used this as a work-around for automounting:

http://kissmyarch.blogspot.dk/2011/10/u … mount.html

Can you see if your limits.conf is activated with your Quinghy ;-)

#20 2012-10-05 15:11:19

plustwo

@slot, tnx for the link. will go deeper into it later, quite interesting. i figured that i had to add the line

"/dev/sda1        /media       vfat        users,umask=1000,rw,noauto 0   0"

manually in my /etc/fstab

i can only see @audio entry being as active, unless if i'm not understanding the limits.conf file.

Last edited by plustwo (2012-10-05 15:22:21)

#21 2012-10-12 11:19:43

slot

If you have in limits.conf something like

@audio          -       rtprio          95
@audio          -       memlock    unlimited

you should see the parameters active with the command 'ulimit -r -l' like:

ulimit -r -l
real-time priority              (-r) 95
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited

which is needed if you use Jack.

#22 2012-11-07 00:29:48

ismaelvc

in order to start kdm with systemd I had to do this:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 6#p1188756

I wanted to update the wiki, but then I tought what to do if someone have both kde and trinity installed in order to run one or the other kdm without conflicts?

Laptop: LG LM70 Express                                                  Kernel: 3.14.2-1-ARCH   
CPU: Intel Pentium M processor @1.86GHz                  Hard Drive: 80G
Video: Mobility Radeon X600                                            X Driver: xf86-video-ati
Memory Size: 1.5G + zramswap: 384M + swap: 3G

#23 2012-11-09 14:44:05

ismaelvc

Cant install trinity since removal of consolekit, I tried with consolekit-git fromAUR, the PKGBUILD clearly states it provides consolekit, but still it doesn't work.

Do you guys know how to make pacman recognize consolekit-git as if it where the normal one? Could this package be uploaded to trinity repo?

Also Kde-games is missing from trinity, are there any other packages missing?

Have a nice day!

Laptop: LG LM70 Express                                                  Kernel: 3.14.2-1-ARCH   
CPU: Intel Pentium M processor @1.86GHz                  Hard Drive: 80G
Video: Mobility Radeon X600                                            X Driver: xf86-video-ati
Memory Size: 1.5G + zramswap: 384M + swap: 3G

#24 2012-11-25 01:42:42

woomia

ismaelvc wrote:

Cant install trinity since removal of consolekit, I tried with consolekit-git fromAUR, the PKGBUILD clearly states it provides consolekit, but still it doesn't work.

Do you guys know how to make pacman recognize consolekit-git as if it where the normal one? Could this package be uploaded to trinity repo?

Have a nice day!

Same here with the ConsoleKit error.

#25 2012-12-14 11:21:33

slot

woomia wrote:
ismaelvc wrote:

Have a nice day!

Same here with the ConsoleKit error.

I changed the name to consolekit (instead of consolekit-git) and the version to 0.4.6, then it was recognized ;-)

Board footer