You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-05 18:23:52

guitarxperience

[SOLVED] mount: /dev/sda3 is already mounted or /mnt busy

Hello all, I've spent several hours researching this to no avail.  I'm trying to mount my partitions, first with my root partition (/dev/sda3) mounted at /mnt.  It seems no matter what partition I try to mount it gives me the same error: mount: /dev/sda3 is already mounted or /mnt busy.  I've tried the fuser command and killed all process associated with this device but new processes seem to pop up making it busy once more.

Hopefully somebody has some knowledge of what could be causing this one.

Thanks, and I hope to resurrect an Arch workstation once more!

-Aaron

Last edited by guitarxperience (2012-10-09 14:52:21)

#2 2012-10-05 18:49:42

hadrons123

Re: [SOLVED] mount: /dev/sda3 is already mounted or /mnt busy

Did you try umount ?

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#3 2012-10-05 19:56:35

guitarxperience

Absolutely.  Nothing is mounted to /mnt and lsblk reveals that nothing is mounted at any /dev/sda device.

Thanks,
Aaron

#4 2012-10-05 20:01:52

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Try a liveCD, does the behaviour persist? If so, you may have a hardware problem.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2012-10-05 20:02:38

ewaller
Administrator

Can you post the output of mount
and, the mount command you are using.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2012-10-05 20:05:11

guitarxperience

WorMzy wrote:

Try a liveCD, does the behaviour persist? If so, you may have a hardware problem.

I've tried the NetBoot disc as well as the archlinux-2012.09.07-dual disc.  Nothing works for mount so far with those.

#7 2012-10-05 20:07:01

guitarxperience

ewaller wrote:

I'd love to post that but can you tell me how to post it when I'm running the install on another computer.  I'm not trying to be smart I just don't know if there's a way to route the output to a URL or something after-all it is connected to the internet. But there is no browser as far as I know.

#8 2012-10-05 20:11:58

guitarxperience

I just would like to add for clarification that I partitioned 4 partitions... sda1 (boot), sda2(swap), sda3(root), sda4(home) as primary partitions.   I did this via a G-Parted live disc.  Everything seems to have gone well with that step.  I have to head out for the evening but I will sign on again tomorrow to view replies.  Thank you very much.

#9 2012-10-05 20:12:55

guitarxperience

guitarxperience wrote:
ewaller wrote:

I'd love to post that but can you tell me how to post it when I'm running the install on another computer.  I'm not trying to be smart I just don't know if there's a way to route the output to a URL or something after-all it is connected to the internet. But there is no browser as far as I know.

But I can say that I did type the error message in the title of this thread, it is:  mount: /dev/sda3 is already mounted or /mnt busy

#10 2012-10-05 20:16:28

Scimmia
Fellow

Does either /dev/sda3 or /mnt show up when you do a df -h?

#11 2012-10-05 21:24:46

ewaller
Administrator

guitarxperience wrote:
ewaller wrote:

I'd love to post that but can you tell me how to post it when I'm running the install on another computer. ...I just don't know if there's a way to route the output to a URL or something after-all it is connected to the internet. But there is no browser as far as I know.

Why, yes!  smile

community/wgetpaste 2.20-1 [installed]
    A script that automates pasting to a number of pastebin services
ewaller@odin:~ 1004 %ls -l | wgetpaste
Your paste can be seen here: https://gist.github.com/3842491
ewaller@odin:~ 1005 %

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#12 2012-10-06 13:54:45

guitarxperience

Scimmia wrote:

Does either /dev/sda3 or /mnt show up when you do a df -h?

Nope,  df -h shows several mounts none of which are either /dev/sda3 or /mnt.  I'm trying to learn how to use wgetpaste to post outputs.   Thanks.

#13 2012-10-06 13:55:55

guitarxperience

ewaller wrote:
guitarxperience wrote:
ewaller wrote:

I'd love to post that but can you tell me how to post it when I'm running the install on another computer. ...I just don't know if there's a way to route the output to a URL or something after-all it is connected to the internet. But there is no browser as far as I know.

Why, yes!  smile

Looks like a groovy tool.. Can you tell me how to get it on my installation setup?  Don't seem to have apt-get available or anything like that to install things.

#14 2012-10-06 14:04:17

guitarxperience

guitarxperience wrote:
ewaller wrote:
guitarxperience wrote:

Why, yes!  smile

Looks like a groovy tool.. Can you tell me how to get it on my installation setup?  Don't seem to have apt-get available or anything like that to install things.

Oh yeah this is Arch so I would use pacman.  The community database along with core and extra does not exist... when i run pacman.

#15 2012-10-06 14:42:25

ewaller
Administrator

Okay, I am highly confused.  Lets start the top.

In my posts thus far, I have assumed we are talking about a working Arch Linux installation into which we have booted and have yet to install Xorg.  In other words, a fully functional command line system.

I now realize you are still trying to build a system.  It appears you may be trying to do this from a chhroot environment from another OS, or from an Arch live media.  Maybe a bit more information on what you are booting, the method you are trying, and the documentation you are following.  Thanks.

---

#16 2012-10-06 14:56:18

guitarxperience

ewaller wrote:

Okay, I am highly confused.  Lets start the top.

In my posts thus far, I have assumed we are talking about a working Arch Linux installation into which we have booted and have yet to install Xorg.  In other words, a fully functional command line system.

I now realize you are still trying to build a system.  It appears you may be trying to do this from a chhroot environment from another OS, or from an Arch live media.  Maybe a bit more information on what you are booting, the method you are trying, and the documentation you are following.  Thanks.

OK I am running the Arch Linux 2012.09.07 installation CD, which is fully command-line (no more gui).  I am doing this from a separate computer than what I am on now (this is a windows machine).  The hard drive I formatted for the Arch install I partitioned in G-parted Live CD.  Then I booted with the Arch CD.  I tried to follow the instructions to mount the partitions and am running into the said error.

#17 2012-10-06 14:59:55

hadrons123

What is the partition table layout?

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#18 2012-10-06 15:01:59

guitarxperience

The partition table layout is
(all primary partitions)
sda1 - boot
sda2 - swap
sda3 - /
sda4 - /home

#19 2012-10-09 14:50:07

guitarxperience

OK I will marked this as solved... My educated guess is this.  I may have been booting into the x86 architecture live CD rather than the 64 bit architecture which is what I wanted.  I was using a 2TB hard drive.  My combination of switching to a 500GB hard drive and using the 64bit architecture allowed me to mount no problem.  I proceeded to follow the instructions, mount, install, and I even got the grub-bios to install.  My arch is now up and running.  Time to customize!  smile  Thank you for your help my fellow linux gurus.

Take care.

Board footer