==> ERROR: module not found: `hid_tivo'
==> ERROR: module not found: `hid_emsff'
==> ERROR: module not found: `hid_ntrig'
==> ERROR: module not found: `hid_logitech'

Amongst others...

What do I do next? Can I safely reboot?

Thanks for some info.

Thor

PS - I looked into the forum and did'nt find anything like this...
Edit - this was issued before upgrading the Linux:
could not open directory /lib/modules/3.5.4-1-ARCH: No such file or directory

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2012-10-07 20:38:00)

#2 2012-10-06 09:44:18

loafer

Re: [SOLVED - sort of]Linux updated with errors

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2012-10-06 09:48:42

Thor@Flanders

Thanks loafer,
The thread showed one line (by falconindy)

Well it is now. I suggest you rerun 'mkinitcpio -p linux'. Everything should be fine.

that did sound familiar for such problems. I'm making a backup now, so somewhat later, I'll run this...

Thanks for an answer... smile

Thor
Edit - that did'nt work, however, my /lib is not a symlink, maybe that needs to be resolved first. At any rate, during "mkinitcpio -p linux", I had the same output...

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2012-10-06 10:05:32)

#4 2012-10-06 12:10:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thor@Flanders wrote:

my /lib is not a symlink, maybe that needs to be resolved first.

I gather this means you have been doing partial updates .... which are not supported.

Solution: pacman -Syu

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2012-10-06 12:25:47

Thor@Flanders

Hi, did an ignore of glibc...well, at any rate, after reboot, the system could not find dis-by-ID anymore, I went out for a new harddrive and am doing a re-install...it was bount to happen anyway...too bad it had to happen now...

Oh well, lessons learned...

Thor

#6 2012-10-06 12:28:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

There is no need for a reinstall - and DEFINITELY not for a new harddrive.  Just fix your mistake.  There are countless forum threads and even a dedicate wiki page on exactly how to fix this.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2012-10-06 13:13:00

Thor@Flanders

I did try to fix it, by naming /lib to its old name, that's when the troubles started...

#8 2012-10-06 13:28:32

Thor@Flanders

I downloaded the new install medium and dont get the install framework, it boots into "something" and lands in the local drive...
Time is running short, I need an option...sorry to push but a critical system crashed smile

I read the install.txt...where in sthe install framework? Has Arch gone the LFS path?

Edit - it seems the framework is'nt there anymore....this is going to take too long folks...I have to find an other solution...

Thanks for trying to help...byebye

Thor
Edit - unless the installscripts are on the CD-rom, that would help...

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2012-10-06 14:10:02)

#9 2012-10-06 14:13:30

lifeafter2am

The new install method takes no longer than the old one; you need to type a few commands manually that's all. All the information is in that install.txt.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#10 2012-10-06 14:24:43

Thor@Flanders

oooo, okay...thanks

Edit - no luck, I'm too nervous....I need that framework (or something to hold on to)...if it's not there, I cannot use Arch anymore sad

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2012-10-06 15:12:42)

#11 2012-10-06 15:12:22

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Use the Beginners' Guide.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-10-06 15:12:35)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#12 2012-10-06 15:20:05

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Thor@Flanders wrote:

oooo, okay...thanks

Edit - no luck, I'm too nervous....I need that framework (or something to hold on to)...if it's not there, I cannot use Arch anymore sad

I respectfully suggest that you try a more newbie-friendly distro. You shouldn't really be using Arch on a critical system in the first place, especially if you're not comfortable using the command line..

Last edited by WorMzy (2012-10-06 15:20:54)

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#13 2012-10-06 15:25:57

Thor@Flanders

I respectfully suggest that you try a more newbie-friendly distro. You shouldn't really be using Arch on a critical system in the first place, especially if you're not comfortable using the command line..

Ummm...I've been using Arch successfully for some YEARS now, I've also tried (successfully, I might add) my hand at LFS...the crucnch here is that I dont have the time to spend sifting tru NEW stuff. What was wrong with the old installer anyway?

Distros I successfully use on a regular base include the 'buntu's right up to LFS, please...

Thanks 2ManyDogs, that was the info I needed...
Edit - 2ManyDogs - this was what I've been lmooking for ALL day, thanks for the saving link!!!! I may just owe you a beer!

Thor

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2012-10-06 15:29:54)

#14 2012-10-06 16:15:56

nomorewindows

Thor@Flanders wrote:

Ummm...I've been using Arch successfully for some YEARS now, I've also tried (successfully, I might add) my hand at LFS...the crucnch here is that I dont have the time to spend sifting tru NEW stuff. What was wrong with the old installer anyway?

Distros I successfully use on a regular base include the 'buntu's right up to LFS, please...

Edit - 2ManyDogs - this was what I've been lmooking for ALL day, thanks for the saving link!!!! I may just owe you a beer!

Thor

If you still have the old installer on a CD somewhere use it.  It will probably still work.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#15 2012-10-06 17:31:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Perhaps "newbie-friendly" wasn't taken well, but if you don't like "NEW stuff" as you put it - or change - then a bleeding edge rolling release is really not what you should use.

#16 2012-10-06 19:23:33

WonderWoofy

How in the world did you get through an LFS when the install.txt made you nervous?!?!

#17 2012-10-06 19:50:07

falconindy
Developer
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

How in the world did you get through an LFS when the install.txt made you nervous?!?!

Linux From Scratch is more like Linux From Copy and Paste. The install.txt file shipped with the ISO requires independent thought.

#18 2012-10-06 19:59:36

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

falconindy wrote:

Linux From Scratch is more like Linux From Copy and Paste. The install.txt file shipped with the ISO requires independent thought.

This is very true. I made it through LFS, but I really didn't learn anything. Saying you successfully made it thorough LFS doesn't mean anything other than that you can follow very explicit directions.

I also think falconindy is right about the new install method, and that this is why some people don't like it. They don't want to think -- they want to just start the installer and have it do all the work. Personally I like it much better than the AIF.

I'm more worried about the OP's inability to find the Beginners' Guide than anything else...

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-10-06 20:02:12)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#19 2012-10-06 20:05:43

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

2ManyDogs wrote:
Thor@Flanders wrote:

So you have been "using Arch successfully for some YEARS" and yet the Beginners' Guide has managed to elude your attention?

Our respective definitions of success have quite different semantic associations.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#20 2012-10-06 21:49:17

WonderWoofy

jasonwryan wrote:

So you have been "using Arch successfully for some YEARS" and yet the Beginners' Guide has managed to elude your attention?

It amazes me that with >250 posts, the OP has never seen a mention of the beginners guide. 

BTW, I had no idea LFS was so easy to get going.  I have thought about doing it, but the thought of no package manager makes me nervous.

#21 2012-10-07 01:20:58

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

WonderWoofy wrote:

It amazes me that with >250 posts, the OP has never seen a mention of the beginners guide.

That's what I meant when I said "I'm more worried about the OP's inability to find the Beginners' Guide than anything else..." hmm

WonderWoofy wrote:

BTW, I had no idea LFS was so easy to get going.  I have thought about doing it, but the thought of no package manager makes me nervous.

"Getting it going" is one thing (not too difficult if you can follow instructions and copy/paste commands). Building and maintaining a working system using it is much more difficult, in my opinion.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-10-07 01:23:28)

#22 2012-10-07 20:37:34

Thor@Flanders

@ ... just about everybody here,

From the first page on this site...

Our strong community is diverse and helpful,

????????????????????????????????????????????

Just some info on the situation I was in: left and right nervous users that had to have a running system: NOW, Arch being a distro I proudly introduced, and a blank and at that time not very helpful screen/prompt. How do you think I looked then? What do you think is left of Arch's reputation with the users?

Face it - not very practical.

I'll mark this as solved, friendly inviting you all of you to ramble amongst yourselves...

Thor

#23 2012-10-07 20:48:12

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You really have invited this on yourself in a number of ways. In so many of your posts people have politely asked you to read the documentation; apparently as well as refusing to do so, you now recommend Arch to others and underwrite their experience of it on your expertise?

The only reputation in danger of being further tarnished here is yours. Man up and read the documentation.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#24 2012-10-07 20:52:57

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Thor@Flanders wrote:

You got the help you needed, didn't you?

Thor@Flanders wrote:

Just some info on the situation I was in: left and right nervous users that had to have a running system: NOW, Arch being a distro I proudly introduced, and a blank and at that time not very helpful screen/prompt. How do you think I looked then? What do you think is left of Arch's reputation with the users?

I think this was more an issue with your reputation than one with Arch. I like Arch and use it on two machines, but I would never put it on someone else's computer. I would help someone learn how to install it themselves, but for a non-lunux person Arch is just not a good idea (in my opinion).

Face it - not very practical.

I don't know what you mean. You got the help you needed. We were discussing whether someone who has used Arch for as long as you have should need that kind of help, not whether we would give it to you.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-10-07 20:53:41)

#25 2012-10-07 21:22:21

WonderWoofy

Thor@Flanders wrote:

I am Asian amongst a community of people from all over the world, so don't tell me there is no diversity here!

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2012-10-07 21:22:49)

Board footer