You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-07 06:14:53

ill

Linux Friendly Bluetooth Dongle?

Hey all, any recommendations for a linux-friendly bluetooth dongle? Preferably one of those tiny ones?

#2 2012-10-07 06:18:05

headkase

#3 2012-10-07 10:45:38

89c51

Re: Linux Friendly Bluetooth Dongle?

While i am not the one that makes the rules i don't see anything wrong in suggesting a product that works. The argument against it in the wiki is also a bit weak in a way. After all there is a date on the topic and we already have a Laptops that work with arch thread which serves a similar(ish) cause. Someone could also exaggerate and say the same about software with all the changes that happen or will happen in the Desktop linux stack.

@ill

Whatever you buy make sure it supports BT 4.0 and check for reviews (amazon etc). Many report about linux compatibility.

#4 2012-10-07 18:02:02

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator comment.  Yeah, that policy on product recommendations can be a but fuzzy.  The way the question was posed in this thread was fine by me.  The critical element is that it did not solicit a specific recommendation, but rather a class that happen to be Linux friendly.

The rule was created to give us a tool to control threads of the nature, "What hard drive should I buy" or "What laptop should I buy".  Like all rules, enforcement should be a judgment call.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2012-10-07 18:30:20

headkase

Here's how I buy Linux hardware:  I go to a local store (local is important), buy the product, go home and plug it in.  If it doesn't work I return it right away.  Linux is amazing for what it supports.  There are a few problem areas but besides those a piece of hardware has a better than 90% chance of working.  Hardware that has been well-standardized for quite a while like hard-drives almost always work.  Most stores have fair return policies so if it doesn't work you can either get a refund or exchange.  Wal-Mart of all places, at least my store, has a great return policy - they'll just take it back no questions as long as you have a receipt.  And if you don't have that they'll put the value onto a gift card.

@ill, sorry if I came off a little snarky.

Board footer