You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-07 00:29:38

cliff99

Is this safe kdm as root then user for kde ?

I have a small problem I have to start kdm from root for some reason then it goes to graphical logon and I log on as a normal user.

I can run xfce from user no problems just not kdm?

thanks ,
Cliff

#2 2005-10-07 02:21:27

glib

Re: Is this safe kdm as root then user for kde ?

To the best of my knowledge, login managers must run as root.

#3 2005-10-07 02:41:24

cliff99

glib wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, login managers must run as root.

Not sure myself but seems ok. Still have to enter root password for pacman etc so I guess is ok.

#4 2005-10-07 05:26:35

pressh
Developer/TU

cliff99 wrote:

I have a small problem I have to start kdm from root for some reason then it goes to graphical logon and I log on as a normal user.

Graphical login managers are meant to run as a deamon on boot. Is there any particulary reason why you want to start a login manager from prompt?
Others, you should just add kdm to your deamons array in /etc/rc.conf, or start xfce with the startx command from prompt as a normal user

#5 2005-10-07 09:10:08

cliff99

pressh wrote:
cliff99 wrote:

Graphical login managers are meant to run as a deamon on boot. Is there any particulary reason why you want to start a login manager from prompt?
Others, you should just add kdm to your deamons array in /etc/rc.conf, or start xfce with the startx command from prompt as a normal user

Thanks for the reply, impressed by the support in this group, I have/ had my Dvico DVB-T card going ok then trying to get lircd working for the IR remote I think I broke something.

I will put the kdm in the rc.conf

cheers,
Cliff

Board footer