You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-06 17:29:49

hellfire[bg]

[SOLVED] Unexpected problems after installing systemd

Hi there,

Since I read that Arch is going to start using systemd I decided to install it. I followed the systemd wiki article (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … g_to_start) and at first sight everything seemed OK and I didn't have much problems with it. My only serious problem was that the network-manager plasmoid in KDE was not working properly - it stated that Network Manager was not started. After searching the forums I found out that the problem was due to my pam login file for lightdm not configured properly and I managed to fix the problem. However after several days of use I found out the following additional problems:

1. Removable drives not working - before usb flash drives and sd cards were automounted by KDE when i inserted them. Now nothing happens (I tested with a usb flash drive and an sd memory card).
2. My laptop's touchpad feels very slugish and scroll is not working. After I tried to check the touchpad settings in the KDE control centre I found out while all the touchpad settings are present, they are greyed out and can't be changed.
3. Sound is extremely choppy in wine games. In native linux games (Faster Than Light for example) it is OK. It is also OK in other native linux applications like clementine and mplayer. I am using pulseaudio which i've set up in accordance with the pulseaudio wiki article.

I tried to recall any problems I may have had while setting up systemd and the onlything ordinary i can thing about was that when i tried to do "systemctl enable dbus.service" (because the systemd wiki article advised me to "systemctl enable" all daemons listed in my former rc.conf) I got the following output: "The unit files have no [Install] section. They are not meant to be enabled using systemctl.". On the other hand the dbus.service seems to be running just fine:

"dbus.service                                 loaded active running       D-Bus System Message Bus"

Has anyone encounter similar problems when using systemd?

Best regards!

Last edited by hellfire[bg] (2012-10-14 19:36:59)

#2 2012-10-06 19:27:55

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] Unexpected problems after installing systemd

I suggest you check the output of $ ck-list-sessions , as the first two problems sound related to that.  I do not use wine or kde, so I cannot comment on those specifically, but it sounds like your session is not authenticated properly.

#3 2012-10-06 19:33:40

hellfire[bg]

Thanks for the reply! $ ck-list-sessions returns the following output:

Александър Годумов ~ $ ck-list-sessions
Session2:
        unix-user = '1000'
        realname = 'Александър Годумов'
        seat = 'Seat1'
        session-type = ''
        active = TRUE
        x11-display = ':0'
        x11-display-device = '/dev/tty7'
        display-device = ''
        remote-host-name = ''
        is-local = TRUE
        on-since = '2012-10-06T13:49:21.150381Z'
        login-session-id = '4294967295'

However I'm not sure if this is the normal output.

Last edited by hellfire[bg] (2012-10-06 19:34:13)

#4 2012-10-06 21:42:57

WonderWoofy

The part you are looking for it "active = " and in this case it seems to be pretty normal.  So I am going to have to drop out of this one because I do not know kde at all.  Sorry, hopefully someone else can step up here and help you out.

#5 2012-10-07 06:11:38

hellfire[bg]

Thanks anyway. At least we rulled out this possibility.

#6 2012-10-07 18:59:21

Pse

Please post the output of

systemctl --all --no-pager

Edit: about D-Bus: there's no need to manually tell systemd to start it as it is required by systemd to work (i.e., systemd always starts D-Bus).

Last edited by Pse (2012-10-07 19:00:38)

#7 2012-10-14 19:36:35

hellfire[bg]

I had some time to tweak my system and i have an update on my problems - the 1st and 2nd problems were solved by reverting back to initscripts and setting up systemd again. I can swear i followed the same instructions (on the arch linux wiki page) as before but somehow after it did it those problems disappeared. I am now running a pure systemd system and everything appears to be OK. Regarding the 3rd problem it turned out that it was a pulseaudio issue. After I set up pulseaudio initialy I checked wine and it was running fine but apparently I have tweaked my pulseaudio setup since then and this broke wine. Systemd being the biggest change to my system before i detected the problem, i assumed that it was the reaseon. However it seems that pulseaudio was the culprit and after a little tweking with its configuration file it seems to be OK now. If anyone has the problem, this setting described in the arc wiki was the reason for my problem - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu … _crackling . Using the default set up (as opposed to the option described in the wiki) solved my problem.

Pse, here's the output of what you requested, ran as a normal user (in pastebin):

http://pastebin.com/w5A1F9jf

Last edited by hellfire[bg] (2012-10-14 19:39:30)

#8 2012-10-16 17:41:28

Barkaris

hellfire[bg] wrote:

However it seems that pulseaudio was the culprit and after a little tweking with its configuration file it seems to be OK now. If anyone has the problem, this setting described in the arc wiki was the reason for my problem - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu … _crackling . Using the default set up (as opposed to the option described in the wiki) solved my problem.

http://pastebin.com/w5A1F9jf

Thanks for the tip; it helped me a lot.

#9 2012-10-20 06:23:44

xangelux

hellfire[bg] wrote:

I had some time to tweak my system and i have an update on my problems - the 1st and 2nd problems were solved by reverting back to initscripts and setting up systemd again. I can swear i followed the same instructions (on the arch linux wiki page) as before but somehow after it did it those problems disappeared. I am now running a pure systemd system and everything appears to be OK. Regarding the 3rd problem it turned out that it was a pulseaudio issue. After I set up pulseaudio initialy I checked wine and it was running fine but apparently I have tweaked my pulseaudio setup since then and this broke wine. Systemd being the biggest change to my system before i detected the problem, i assumed that it was the reaseon. However it seems that pulseaudio was the culprit and after a little tweking with its configuration file it seems to be OK now. If anyone has the problem, this setting described in the arc wiki was the reason for my problem - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu … _crackling . Using the default set up (as opposed to the option described in the wiki) solved my problem.

Thank you man, this worked like a charm

Board footer