You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-07 13:32:53

worf

[SOLVED] Synaptic Touchpad edge scroll shifted left since kernel 3.5.*

Greetings fellow "Archers"!

First time posting, but long time lurking around this forums. :-) I'm using Arch for almost 6 months now, I've had my share of problems, but nothing that Google, Wiki or reading this forums couldn't solve, until now.

I have a Laptop Asus X59SR with Synaptic Touchpad and ever since the kernel 3.5.* upgrade haven't been able to use right edge vertical scrolling. This is very inconvenient for me so I had to revert to kernel 3.4.9.1 and put linux in ignore list in pacman.conf, but that is obviously not a solution. By the way, I'm using systemd if that matters.

Everything else is working fine regarding Synaptics Touchpad, various tap actions, even a two finger scrolling, but I think I'll never get used to that. Everything seems fine, correct input driver 'synaptics' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad' is used and I've tried reinstalling it and what not. Nothing works except reverting to kernel 3.4.*.

Any suggestion what to do next or help would be appreciated.

Last edited by worf (2012-11-22 22:16:37)

#2 2012-10-07 14:45:24

Silex89

Re: [SOLVED] Synaptic Touchpad edge scroll shifted left since kernel 3.5.*

Hi there smile

When you first installed Arch, did you remember to install the xf86-input-synaptics package right?.

If you did installed it and the current Kernel doesn't work, you can still use the linux-lts kernel which is in the [core] repository (the current version is 3.0.44) so you won't have to ignore those updates.

Don't forget to change your bootloader setup if you end upswitching to the LTS kernel.

Best of Luck smile

EDIT: Do some reading about the different kernel alternatives.

Last edited by Silex89 (2012-10-07 14:48:57)

"The way your heart sounds makes all the difference" John Myung

I love Dream Theater! ImL
Best Guitar Solo Ever

#3 2012-10-07 14:46:02

WonderWoofy

Mine works just fine.  Maybe somehow your settings pushed the scroll area off the touchpad?  Why don't you post the output of

$ synclient 

#4 2012-10-07 15:15:34

worf

Hey thanks, guys for answering so quickly. smile

Silex89 wrote:

Hi there smile

When you first installed Arch, did you remember to install the xf86-input-synaptics package right?.

If you did installed it and the current Kernel doesn't work, you can still use the linux-lts kernel which is in the [core] repository (the current version is 3.0.44) so you won't have to ignore those updates.

Yes, xf86-input-synaptics is installed and I was considering LTS kernel, but I'm trying to get to the core of the problem first.

WonderWoofy wrote:

Mine works just fine.  Maybe somehow your settings pushed the scroll area off the touchpad?  Why don't you post the output of

$ synclient 

Hey, You have just guided me to the possible solution of the problem, that I obviously missed. Apparently I didn't noticed that edge scrolling now works with newest kernel linux-3.5.5-1, but the scroll area is shifted aproximatelly 1cm to the left of the right edge. Here is the output od synclient:

$ synclient
Parameter settings:
    LeftEdge                = 1752
    RightEdge               = 5192
    TopEdge                 = 1620
    BottomEdge              = 4236
    FingerLow               = 25
    FingerHigh              = 30
    FingerPress             = 256
    MaxTapTime              = 180
    MaxTapMove              = 221
    MaxDoubleTapTime        = 180
    SingleTapTimeout        = 180
    ClickTime               = 100
    FastTaps                = 0
    EmulateMidButtonTime    = 75
    EmulateTwoFingerMinZ    = 282
    EmulateTwoFingerMinW    = 7
    VertScrollDelta         = 100
    HorizScrollDelta        = 100
    VertEdgeScroll          = 1
    HorizEdgeScroll         = 0
    CornerCoasting          = 0
    VertTwoFingerScroll     = 0
    HorizTwoFingerScroll    = 0
    MinSpeed                = 1
    MaxSpeed                = 1.75
    AccelFactor             = 0.0398089
    TrackstickSpeed         = 40
    EdgeMotionMinZ          = 30
    EdgeMotionMaxZ          = 160
    EdgeMotionMinSpeed      = 1
    EdgeMotionMaxSpeed      = 401
    EdgeMotionUseAlways     = 0
    TouchpadOff             = 0
    LockedDrags             = 0
    LockedDragTimeout       = 5000
    RTCornerButton          = 0
    RBCornerButton          = 0
    LTCornerButton          = 0
    LBCornerButton          = 0
    TapButton1              = 1
    TapButton2              = 3
    TapButton3              = 2
    ClickFinger1            = 1
    ClickFinger2            = 1
    ClickFinger3            = 1
    CircularScrolling       = 0
    CircScrollDelta         = 0.1
    CircScrollTrigger       = 0
    CircularPad             = 0
    PalmDetect              = 0
    PalmMinWidth            = 10
    PalmMinZ                = 200
    CoastingSpeed           = 20
    CoastingFriction        = 50
    PressureMotionMinZ      = 30
    PressureMotionMaxZ      = 160
    PressureMotionMinFactor = 1
    PressureMotionMaxFactor = 1
    GrabEventDevice         = 1
    TapAndDragGesture       = 1
    AreaLeftEdge            = 0
    AreaRightEdge           = 0
    AreaTopEdge             = 0
    AreaBottomEdge          = 0
    HorizHysteresis         = 25
    VertHysteresis          = 25
    ClickPad                = 0

I'm having hard time to figure out what to change here and by what number, to shift my touchpad scroll area back 1cm to the right?

#5 2012-10-07 18:07:38

ewaller
Administrator

Can you pastebin your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and provide us a link?    (easy way to do that:  install wgetpaste, and perform wgetpaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log  )

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2012-10-07 20:35:42

worf

ewaller wrote:

Can you pastebin your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and provide us a link?    (easy way to do that:  install wgetpaste, and perform wgetpaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log  )

Here it is: https://gist.github.com/3849490

#7 2012-10-07 21:05:17

WonderWoofy

You know, I really don't use edge scrolling.  But looking over the synaptics man page, I don't see anything regarding the edge scrolling area.  So it makes me think that maybe, your trackpad is simply configred too far to the right?  Maybe set to be too wide, so the scroll area is pushed off the pad? 

Personally I am a two finger scroller, having come from the OS X world.  I have to say though, that as much as I love the two finger scroll, I rreally hate apple's reversal of up and down (I think it is "push to scroll" or something like that).

#8 2012-10-07 21:33:00

ewaller
Administrator

The Xorg.0.log file looks reasonable.
If you use synclient -m 100   can you see the raw coordinates from the touchpad?  I can't, as I don't have SHMConfig enabled.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#9 2012-10-07 21:48:42

worf

WonderWoofy wrote:

But looking over the synaptics man page, I don't see anything regarding the edge scrolling area.  So it makes me think that maybe, your trackpad is simply configred too far to the right?  Maybe set to be too wide, so the scroll area is pushed off the pad?

No, now I have found out that my edge scroll area is moved 1cm inside, to the left so I can scroll, but it's extremly difficult to hit scroll area, too often I miss it now because it's moved away to the left from right edge.

Funny thing is that touchpad edge scrolling was working perfectly fine with kernels 3.3 and 3.4, position was on the right edge as it should be, but with new kernel 3.5.* it is shifted 1cm to the left.

ewaller wrote:

If you use synclient -m 100   can you see the raw coordinates from the touchpad?  I can't, as I don't have SHMConfig enabled.

I get this:

synclient -m 100
Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?

Last edited by worf (2012-10-07 22:03:49)

#10 2012-10-07 22:10:47

ewaller
Administrator

Well, what that means is you cannot use synclient to change anything.  I am going to turn SMHConfig on on my system and go run some experiments.  I'll get back to you.

---

#11 2012-10-07 22:40:55

ewaller
Administrator

Okay, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf and add the line:

Option "SHMConfig" "true"

before the EndSection line. 

Exit X, restart X, and now synclient -m 100 will work.  You can use the data it provides to determine where the corners of the touchpad should be.  You can experiment with changing them using symclient as well.

---

#12 2012-10-07 22:57:29

worf

Done that, thanks for all the help. smile

I'll experiment with values tomorrow and post here what I've managed to do with it.

Last edited by worf (2012-10-07 22:58:19)

#13 2012-10-08 17:41:05

worf

This is what I've realized about the problem so far: With change to kernel 3.5.* on my Laptop Asus X59SR, Synaptic Touchpad right scroll area is shifted approximately 1cm to the left from the right edge where it should be. Actually it means that my whole active touchpad area is narrower by 1cm than it is physically.

I enabled SHMConfig and synclient -m 100 command worked, but numbers it gives are so volatile. Anyway I used synclient command to change various data and logically first I tried to increase value "RightEdge=5192" but it didn't shift scroll area back to the right where it should be, it only narrowed it, and when I decreased this value, my scroll area is expanded to the left, not shifted to the left, just expanded. That is all I can get, changing other synclient values didn't achieve anything significant.

I'm clueless what to do next?

Last edited by worf (2012-10-08 17:45:39)

#14 2012-10-08 21:39:16

Strike0

Maybe you boot into the kernel with which is worked last (3.4*) and run a diff on the values reported by synclient against those you have quoted above.

#15 2012-10-12 23:15:54

worf

Strike0 wrote:

Maybe you boot into the kernel with which is worked last (3.4*) and run a diff on the values reported by synclient against those you have quoted above.

Finally found time to try this, and numbers previosly reported by synclient -l command are the same with kernel 3.4.9-1 as with kernel 3.5.*.

All I can conclude is that kernel 3.5.* doesn't detect well my touchpad size on laptop ASUS X59SR, somehow it detects it as 1cm narrower than it is physically.

And this seemingly a little problem is actually a big problem, because it moves right edge scrolling area to the left of the edge and by that making it very difficult to hit, thus wasting my time and nerves. So for now, reverting to previous kernel 3.4.9-1 seems to be my only solution.

#16 2012-10-13 11:18:48

Strike0

I saw this one: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=849484
Reads like your problem & that they are on the way to solve it with 3.6.

#17 2012-10-13 13:24:02

worf

Strike0 wrote:

I saw this one: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=849484
Reads like your problem & that they are on the way to solve it with 3.6.

Yep, that's the same problem as mine. Thanks for finding that link, I was searching about this too long, but somehow omitted that one.

It seems that the problem is solved with kernel-3.6.1-1.fc17.x86_64 as one user reported. Since I'm away from laptop for a few days, I'll check this out later and report here.

Last edited by worf (2012-10-13 13:24:57)

#18 2012-10-16 14:40:38

worf

I can confirm that with newest kernel linux 3.6.2-1, the problem (touchpad right edge scroll area was shifted 1cm to the left) is now half fixed, so in different form it lingers on.

Now the right edge scrolling area is expanded to the right where it should be, but it's expanded, not shifted back to the right edge, like it's supposed to be, so now I can scroll on the right edge, but right edge scrolling area is now twice as wide as it was. Actually it's active area is about 2cm wide now instead of about 1cm.

So the problem is changed now for the better, but still not completely fixed.

Last edited by worf (2012-10-16 14:44:18)

#19 2012-10-16 18:26:20

Strike0

worf wrote:

but it's expanded, not shifted back to the right edge, like it's supposed to be, so now I can scroll on the right edge, but right edge scrolling area is now twice as wide as it was. Actually it's active area is about 2cm wide now instead of about 1cm.

Hm, ok. But maybe now you can change that width with increasing the value of "RightEdge" like you wrote in post #13?

#20 2012-10-18 01:35:50

worf

Strike0 wrote:
worf wrote:

but it's expanded, not shifted back to the right edge, like it's supposed to be, so now I can scroll on the right edge, but right edge scrolling area is now twice as wide as it was. Actually it's active area is about 2cm wide now instead of about 1cm.

Hm, ok. But maybe now you can change that width with increasing the value of "RightEdge" like you wrote in post #13?

I realize that, and finally found time and will to try it. smile And it works. By increasing synclient value "RightEdge=5192 to a maximum of 6117 I've managed to narrow the right scroll area. Increasing it to a bigger value than 6117, eliminates active right scroll area completely.

It seems like a dirty workaround, and surely not a solution to the problem. The fact is that something is changed to the kernel after 3.4 version and now it doesn't detect some touchpads quite correctly.

Last edited by worf (2012-11-22 22:42:25)

#21 2012-11-22 22:12:50

worf

I'm marking this as kind of solved, but I still think that kernel should automatically do this. If anyone else has similar problem: in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d put this line:

Option "RightEdge" "6117"

and reboot is required here to make things persistent. Off course this values can vary, so try it out first with not persistent changes that can be made with command, for example:

synclient RightEdge=6117

Last edited by worf (2012-11-22 22:42:57)

Board footer