You are not logged in.

#26 2012-10-08 03:46:38

caerolle

Re: (SOLVED!) Did I install systemd?

headkase wrote:

I originally enabled syslog-ng.service too.  I disabled it after however as systemd has a built-in journal:

sudo journalctl

I have to admit I didn't enable any of those three DAEMONS, that was done by the install. The only thing I did to the rc.conf was to de-comment the network stuff, and add 'eth0', which is what the Beginner's Guide said to do. I like how you get enough info to install and run, then can go back and learn why things are there, and how they work. I have been going back through the Guide and going to every Wiki reference to understand things, and that has helped me make some changes and fix some things on my own that weren't covered.

Arch is awesome!  smile

#27 2012-10-08 03:57:10

WonderWoofy

If you have not changed cron from the default, it is called cronie.service .  I noticed that there is in fact a symlink from crond.service to cronie.service but it does not actually work to enable that.

#28 2012-10-09 23:48:49

caerolle

2ManyDogs, headkase, WonderWoofy, and Scimmia, too:

I just wanted to come back and thank you guys for your help last night! I did the 'enable' on the systemd services I needed last night, spent a long time pondering where to put the 'init=etc' in the grub, finally figured it out at lunch today, implemented it tonight, and viola, it works amazingly! LOVING IT!

I have commented out the last three daemons I had in my rc.conf, and things work fine (network was my big worry), so I am ready to move on to full systemd. If it weren't for you guys, I would spend the next month probably trying to sort things out.

Thanks so much!

caerolle  smile

#29 2012-10-09 23:54:33

headkase

You're very welcome caerolle, big_smile

#30 2012-10-10 00:04:47

weirddan455

WonderWoofy wrote:

If you have not changed cron from the default, it is called cronie.service .  I noticed that there is in fact a symlink from crond.service to cronie.service but it does not actually work to enable that.

Does cronie even do anything useful by default?  I just switched over to systemd myself and pondered about cronie for a minute (it was enabled by default in the rc.conf daemons).  I ran crontab -l as my user and as root and it showed no cronjobs so I just didn't enable the service when I went over to systemd.  Havnen't noticed any problems so far by not running it.

#31 2012-10-10 01:50:36

WonderWoofy

It runs some maintenence scripts.  If you use mlocate (locate command) it updates the database.  Also, it runs logrotate, so if you have any persistent logging it is probably a good idea.  In any case it is not really much overhead.

#32 2012-10-10 06:55:20

mpma

2ManyDogs wrote:

You have the systemd package, but you're not using it until you do the steps in the systemd wiki page to enable it.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … stallation

You'll know when systemd is running -- your boot messages will change from blue to green, and your system will probably boot and shutdown much faster (especially shutdown).

Faster boot! Too bad my comp already boots in under 3 secs smile But hey, every milisecond counts right?

#33 2012-10-10 11:13:39

ixnine

headkase wrote:

I originally enabled syslog-ng.service too.  I disabled it after however as systemd has a built-in journal:

sudo journalctl

You can specify which logs will appear too

# journalctl /bin/sudo
# journalctl /sbin/dhcpcd
# journalctl /usr/bin/dnsmasq

Last edited by ixnine (2012-10-10 11:14:08)

#34 2012-10-10 12:35:24

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

mpma wrote:

Faster boot! Too bad my comp ...

Welcome to Arch. Did you really join just to post this?

Board footer