You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-05 08:25:58

Kvash

Temperature problem - what should i do???

Hi. I have a problem with the temperature. The notebook gets too hot. I have read and tried everything in the web but the problem is still here. In windows is not so hot but i want to leave it fast!

My notebook (with linux) sometimes turn off because of high temperatures, how can i solve this problem? Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Vision 3510mx - Quadcore 1,8Ghz(In windows it runs up to 2,5Ghz with boost, that doesn't appen in linux)

GPU: AMD hibryd grapfics - Internal 6620G + Discrete 6470 i think it's a mux-less system.

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz

CPU driver: powernow-k8

CPU governor: ondemand

Here what i tried:

1) Installed latest catalyst drivers (12.9 from AUR too) but still high temperature. (>90° watching flash video on youtube, in idle it stays at 55-60°, going up to 75-80° every graphic effect)

2) Tried radeon open source drivers, disabled Discrete GPU with vga_switcheroo and changed internal gpu power profile to low mode. Still high temperature. (>80° idle)

Now, what should i do? Please help me sad

#2 2012-10-05 10:50:44

Kvash

Re: Temperature problem - what should i do???

no help? sad

#3 2012-10-05 11:00:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Holy crap -  your post had not even been on the forums for 3 hours before you were disturbed that you had not received help?

Kvash wrote:

I have read and tried everything in the web but the problem is still here.

http://www.glarkware.com/media/product- … -large.gif

I doubt you have read everything on the web - particularly when you later do elaborate the two things you have done.  I don't mean to be too much of a jerk, but if you wish to get productive help, consider how you are presenting yourself to others.

Have you seen/tried the suggestions in this thread:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=121841

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2012-10-06 06:27:04

hunterthomson
Website

What laptop do you have?
How old is the laptop?
What is the room temp?
Have you opened it it up, as much as you can i.e. take off the ram cover and stuff, then blow out all the dust with compressed air?

So, the problem is not that the CPU is getting hot, but that the GPU is getting hot, correct?

If the laptop is all dusted out. I'd sugjest searching for how to manualy set the fan speed, and/or thresholds. So, you have also tried the ATI backed Open Source driver xf86-video-ati ? You may get better results.

As for the clock speed of the CPU... Well, I know for a fact that the cpufreq thing is no longer needed with Intel CPU's. The CPU handels all the under-clocking and over-clocking by itself, however one has to use the Intel tool i7z to see the real clock speed. (In the kernel 3.6 Intel users will no longer need to use i7z)

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-10-06 06:29:52)

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#5 2012-10-07 10:29:21

Kvash

Trilby wrote:

Holy crap -  your post had not even been on the forums for 3 hours before you were disturbed that you had not received help?

Kvash wrote:

I have read and tried everything in the web but the problem is still here.

http://www.glarkware.com/media/product- … -large.gif

I doubt you have read everything on the web - particularly when you later do elaborate the two things you have done.  I don't mean to be too much of a jerk, but if you wish to get productive help, consider how you are presenting yourself to others.

Have you seen/tried the suggestions in this thread:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=121841

Tried yet... but thank you.

@hunterthomson i own a Serie 3 Samsung, half an year old. Room temp 25-28° now

I haven't opened it, there isn't dust, or maybe not a lot after 6 months.

I tried yet ati open source drivers. U can see in my first post... and i've and amd CPU, not intel. U can see that in the first post too...

#6 2012-10-07 14:30:36

Silex89

Hi there smile

Are you using a Desktop Environment? If you use KDE or Gnome, which include compositing managers that use OpenGL accelerated graphics, your processing unit will have to work more in order to show up the eye-candyness of the desktop

Try out using MATE-DE, Xfce, LXDE or even Trinity Desktop. Those are more light environments. If you are open minded, maybe you could kill the DE experience with a Window Manager Standalone session (Fluxbox, Openbox, etc) to build your own UI using lighter standards.

Best of Luck, don't give up smile

Last edited by Silex89 (2012-10-07 14:35:27)

"The way your heart sounds makes all the difference" John Myung

I love Dream Theater! ImL
Best Guitar Solo Ever

#7 2012-10-07 14:47:22

Kvash

Silex89 wrote:

Hi there smile

Are you using a Desktop Environment? If you use KDE or Gnome, which include compositing managers that use OpenGL accelerated graphics, your processing unit will have to work more in order to show up the eye-candyness of the desktop

Try out using MATE-DE, Xfce, LXDE or even Trinity Desktop. Those are more light environments. If you are open minded, maybe you could kill the DE experience with a Window Manager Standalone session (Fluxbox, Openbox, etc) to build your own UI using lighter standards.

Best of Luck, don't give up smile

Dude thanks for you help, i did it yet! I installed XFCE latest time... but every time GPU is used temp goes high sad Other hints?!

#8 2012-10-08 21:35:59

Kvash

up!

#9 2012-10-08 21:44:07

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator comment

Kvash wrote:

up!

Do not do that.  It is rude, and a violation of our policy

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#10 2012-10-09 09:13:59

Kvash

Sorry, i will not do it again...

Board footer