You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-04 13:58:13

Technicolor

MATE: Nautilus takes over desktop and mate-panel when installed

Hi.
So I have this issue - when I install Nautilus, it makes itself, not caja, the default, so when I open up one of my favorites from the Places menu in mate-panel, Nautilus, not Caja, pops up, and when I double-click on an icon on the desktop (a folder), Nautilus shows up. I don't want that.
The reason I installed it is because nautilus is a dependency of insync, and there is no way for me to install it WITHOUT installing nautilus.
Is there a way to make Caja the default for everything?
Thanks in advance.

#2 2012-10-05 02:24:51

w201

Re: MATE: Nautilus takes over desktop and mate-panel when installed

From command line run mateconf-editor. Go to desktop > session > required components. Change filemanager to caja. I think that should fix your problem.

#3 2012-10-05 03:31:04

WonderWoofy

It has been a while since I have used gnome or nautilus, but I seem to remember an option in the preferences or whatever it is, to let nautilus handle the desktop. 

Keep in mind, that this was serveral version back, so I am not entirely sure.  I just remember when I started using openbox after being a (unhappy) gnome user, I got very frusturated when I continually had my gnome background and icons anytime nautilus was called.

#4 2012-10-09 13:56:53

Technicolor

w201 wrote:

From command line run mateconf-editor. Go to desktop > session > required components. Change filemanager to caja. I think that should fix your problem.

Doesn't work. I tried it.

#5 2012-10-09 13:59:53

Technicolor

WonderWoofy wrote:

It has been a while since I have used gnome or nautilus, but I seem to remember an option in the preferences or whatever it is, to let nautilus handle the desktop. 

Keep in mind, that this was serveral version back, so I am not entirely sure.  I just remember when I started using openbox after being a (unhappy) gnome user, I got very frusturated when I continually had my gnome background and icons anytime nautilus was called.

To my disappointment, it doesn't.
Some piece of quality software roll

#6 2012-10-09 15:09:49

ewaller
Administrator

man xdg-mime

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2012-10-10 17:15:55

Technicolor

ewaller wrote:

man xdg-mime

Manpages are hard to understand for me.
Can you please help me out here? (a little bit more, that is.)

Board footer