You are not logged in.

#426 2012-10-04 20:28:16

moetunes

Re: dminiwm snapwm & bipolarbar

I've mostly been using dminiwm in fullscreen mode since Phil mention the desktop info playing up and it hasn't played up yet, either the desktop info or moving apps to different desktops. I have made some changes to how the client_to_desktop functions work, I wanted to keep any size changes to a window in stacking mode, which I think might solve the random issues of disappearing/multiple apps. To test it I opened a terminal, dwb, firefox and gvim on the one desktop in fullscreen mode and spent ten minutes swapping them between desktops and there was never an issue. But there never has been here... So Phil, stlarch, synorgy and anyone else that might have been having issues you can update and that problem might be fixed. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#427 2012-10-06 17:41:48

stlarch

Hey moe, sorry I've been away for a couple days. The latest update to dminiwm seems to have done the trick here afaict. I just did a quick run through but it seems ok so far. Phil or Synorgy, can you test it to confirm. I'm going to be really busy for the next week or so if I don't respond. Thanks

#428 2012-10-08 01:45:14

synorgy
Website

I apologize - I've not tried dminiwm. I noticed this behaviour against snapwm as of about a week ago. Considering it's crunch time at work right now, I've switched back to dwm for the time being (I needed xinerama support, as I do a lot of plugging/unplugging from external monitors). When I get some time, I can certainly test out dminiwm - though I'm not sure I'll have any idea what I'm doing tongue

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#429 2012-10-08 02:35:23

hellomynameisphil
Website

moetunes wrote:

I've mostly been using dminiwm in fullscreen mode since Phil mention the desktop info playing up and it hasn't played up yet, either the desktop info or moving apps to different desktops. I have made some changes to how the client_to_desktop functions work, I wanted to keep any size changes to a window in stacking mode, which I think might solve the random issues of disappearing/multiple apps. To test it I opened a terminal, dwb, firefox and gvim on the one desktop in fullscreen mode and spent ten minutes swapping them between desktops and there was never an issue. But there never has been here... So Phil, stlarch, synorgy and anyone else that might have been having issues you can update and that problem might be fixed. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

I just tested moving windows across workspaces in dminiwm for about 20 seconds and I don't seem to be having the issues I was having before. I'll squeak again if I come across any issues. Thanks for the fixes!

#430 2012-10-08 02:59:30

moetunes

It's great that it's worked out then. Cheers for checking on it, I was fairly confident it would be fine and I'll push it snapwm now.

@synorgy, funny you should mention using multiple monitors I built a Xinerama snapwm yesterday wink
I haven't figured out yet what to do for a bar on the other monitors.
tZnNvMQ

Cheers

#431 2012-10-08 21:07:24

synorgy
Website

wow. I mentioned a while back that I'm working on my own wm, but this is quickly outpacing any progress I'm making.

I'd suggest allowing a separator for input for the bar. have some input character (or substring) allow splitting between the two displays (and stripping it out and stuff all the info in one display if only one display is currently being used). You may also want to duplicate the workspace indicator onto each display. It seems only semi redundant.

I just sent myself a small tutorial on xft. I'll probably be looking into hacking xft support into snapwm before long - it seems pretty simple, really, and seems like a decent feature.

Would you be interested in setting up a small website for this? I'd be happy to host one (either static or small dynamic). I've got a small (VERY small) vpn sitting around, mostly unused.

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#432 2012-10-08 21:45:37

moetunes

For now the bar is just on the first monitor with the rest using all the screen all the time for windows. I'm thinking the desktop switcher and current focused window's name might be useful on each monitor, if that's necessary it can come later.
I've put the code in a new github repo if someone wants to try it.

Edit: Xft support has been on the "maybe" todo list for a while. I'm happy if you can add that when you have time and interest. I get by fine without it. smile

I'd never thought about a web site for it before. Is that something you'd build? I'm happy if you want to go ahead and do that, if you'd like me to build it I can brush up on my html. Can you let me know some more about what you had in mind?

Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2012-10-08 21:58:36)

#433 2012-10-09 03:05:51

synorgy
Website

@Moe: check out a super preliminary version (without even a link to the download page tongue) at http://www.bryan-bennett.com/snapwm

I've looked at xft support, and because of the way xft handles font metrics it'll take me a bit more time than I thought. (that and I'm useless at writing C >_>)

#434 2012-10-09 07:11:05

moetunes

@synorgy, I like the site, you got that up quickly. smile Apart from maybe changing the bit about the keyboard control to include something about the mouse support like:
Can be completely controlled with the keyboard and has some mouse support.
I think it's excellent. Cheers for that.

I was checking on the web for xlib xft and found that xorg62 from wmfs2 thinks xft is slow. I didn't find anything else mentioning it's speed though, so it can't be too bad I'd think.

I'll have a go at adding xft to some_sorta_bar and figure out some tests to see how/if it impacts on things.

Cheers

#435 2012-10-09 14:06:57

synorgy
Website

I've seen some reports that xft is slow, but I've also seen reports that the slowness is alleviated when using no antialiasing on the font. Check the forums for additional reports about this (mostly having to do so with urxvt and xft rendering)

With regard to the website, I've changed the bulletpoint regarding the keyboard control and added links to both snapwm and Left_Foot. Let me know if this works. I'd also like to get some indication of progress up on there. The Github api is pretty simple to use (and is really clean, to boot). Maybe I can get some commit tracking on there somewhere. (I think I'd have to change the backed to something a bit more dynamic then, and it might not make sense with your use of multiple repos rather than branches). Thoughts?

#436 2012-10-09 15:15:05

hellomynameisphil
Website

Squeak, squeak: when I set show panel to false in dminiwm, I still see the panel when I first log in (meaning it's not covered by the first open window). Switching to another desktop and switching back fixes it, as does using the keyboard shortcut to toggle the gap. The minorest of minor annoyances and a true First-World problem.

#437 2012-10-09 22:11:28

moetunes

@ Phil, I thought I had already sorted that in dminiwm but if I had it was lost. Thanks for speaking up, fix has been pushed. smile

@synorgy, Thanks for changing the bulletpoint. I've spent some time making sure the mouse could do some things properly so i appreciate the mention of it.
I wouldn't worry about linking to the left_foot repo, that was just there to use while I worked out the bugs in adding multi monitor support. In a couple of days when I'm happy it'll move to snapwm.
I've built a window I can print to with xft fonts, changing colours isn't as straightforward, but it doesn't seem too painful. An unexpected twist, including xft includes </X11/extensions/Xrender.h> which has some nice shape drawing functions that could be handy in a window manager bar. which might be adding too much overhead for a 'light' window manager so an xft branch of snapwm might be best, it's a little way off happening but I'll look into that.
While trolling the web I found mentioned a few times that gtk and qt don't use xft so maybe there is a more modern approach to fonts than xft...?

Edit: Just spitballing here...
What is it about xft that has you wanting it included? From my side of the fence it might be best to work on that since there could be other approaches that might be easier/more modern/better supported etc.

Any other opinions on font?

Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2012-10-09 22:20:44)

#438 2012-10-09 22:57:22

synorgy
Website

Quite honestly, all that I want is anti-aliased fonts. If there's a better approach to that end, I'm all for it.  I've linked to the Left_Foot repo for now, but I can remove it whenever you'd like. The site is nothing more than a simple html file, with some CSS in the header so it's really easy to modify (provided you know html and CSS tongue)

I'd like to get something 'better' up, but that might just be the web developer in me talking. I'm not sure that SnapWM really needs anything but a static page with some links.

#439 2012-10-09 23:45:49

moetunes

Great, I'll see what's popular/recommended for anti-aliased fonts, might very well be xft, I still know next to nothing about fonts...

Whatever you decide for the website is fine. Some more links could be the wiki and this thread. I think the website design reflects the minimalistic, dynamic tiling window manager very well, nice choice there. Being a website for a tiling window manager I'd have a pic with some windows being tiled, but that's just me. wink

Cheers

#440 2012-10-10 01:28:10

synorgy
Website

so, setting up Snapwm on my laptop, I've noticed what appears to be an inconsistency in parsing:

The STATUSTHEME line requires NO trailing semicolon, whereas the WINDOWTHEME and SWITCHERTHEME lines do require a trailing semi-colon. Honestly, I'd prefer if there were no semi-colon. I'd also like to bring up that it seems odd that you use 0 for yes and 1 for no, since just about every binary system I've ever used is the reverse. Maybe something to consider for a 'proper' release?

I'll go ahead and add the two links you mentioned to the site and maybe fix a couple of the small problems I see with it tonight. There's still a couple of small things I'm not happy with.

#441 2012-10-10 02:21:49

synorgy
Website

Check the site again tongue

#442 2012-10-10 02:46:43

moetunes

What happened to make you think
"The STATUSTHEME line requires NO trailing semicolon, whereas the WINDOWTHEME and SWITCHERTHEME lines do require a trailing semi-colon."
? The sample file and the wiki both show it does, and that's how it works here.

I don't actually use one to disable something, I use not zero, it can be any value. I just needed an easy switch and that works fine. The pattern is established in snapwm now, and simple to learn, so I'm not inclined to change it. What's a proper release? The wm has been in the wild for ages now. Lots of window managers use their own configuration styles, this is just another one. I could have used xml...

Edit: Nice screenshot you added to the site.

Snapwm goes xinerama aware this afternoon, I've edited the wiki to suit.

Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2012-10-10 02:51:38)

#443 2012-10-10 02:54:52

synorgy
Website

I was setting up the wm and every time I'd add a semicolon to the end of that line, I'd get reverted to the default garish colors that're used in the event that you've messed something up. Regarding the 0 to 1 thing, all of those reasons are the reasons I'd not yet brought it up. It is a fairly simple scheme to learn, but I can never seem to remember which is right. (And by proper release, I simply meant a tagged 1.0 release rather than a git build.)

Of course, you're free to so whatever you want. Take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

#444 2012-10-10 18:54:56

synorgy
Website

Updated the site to reflect the fact that xinerama is integrated into HEAD now.

#445 2012-10-10 20:53:28

moetunes

synorgy wrote:

I was setting up the wm and every time I'd add a semicolon to the end of that line, I'd get reverted to the default garish colors[snip].

Those colours are garish, a good incentive to start editing and learning the wm I think. I should probably choose some better ones so it presents better the first time, maybe.
The only way all the colours would end up at the defaults is if none of them were set from the rc.conf which would mean the problem is at the start of that line not the end. Copy the whole line from the sample file and just replace the numerical values for the colours as a test. It should be fine then.

I'd never thought of having a version release. I used to use fluxbox, which has version releases, and anytime someone on #fluxbox had an issue the first question from the devs would be "What version are you using" which would be followed with "get the git version". I suspect I would end up having a similar approach... It's something to think about though.

About the added xinerama support: Regular users 'should' notice nothing different. There's no extra options or keyboard shortcuts to add. Just continue on like always.

Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2012-10-11 01:09:58)

#446 2012-10-11 01:18:12

moetunes

Some snapwm news.

I've changed the way setting the tiling mode works from the conf file.
Now it's possible to set a different mode for each desktop, or use the default vertical tiling mode everywhere.
The DEFAULTMODE line in rc.conf is now a semi-colon seperated list of the tiling mode for the respective desktop. I use six desktops so I have:

DEFAULTMODE 3;4;4;1;4;4;

Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2012-10-15 17:26:12)

#447 2012-10-15 14:32:45

hellomynameisphil
Website

Nice feature; tanks!

#448 2012-10-17 19:49:31

moetunes

Thanks Phil wink

Some snapwm news.

I've added an option to select which monitor the bar is on when using multiple monitors, but it's not working quite right yet. It works fine with a top bar but plays up with the bar on the bottom. As I get free time I'll sort it properly. If there's only one monitor or the bar is wanted on the first monitor there's nothing to do. To have the bar on the second monitor add a line to rc.conf:

BAR_MONITOR 1

I wouldn't be mentioning it except I pushed it to git so I could try it on other comps on the lan here and don't want people being suprised.

I've had a bit of a play with xft fonts and have made it as far as having an updating bar using them but still need to work on adding colour changes.

Cheers

#449 2012-10-17 19:54:46

synorgy
Website

I haven't had the opportunity to play with the multi-monitor support at all. Still some crap going on at work (a client's go-live got pushed back a week.) I have, however, found snapwm to be awesome to setup on our new virtual machines here at work.  big_smile

It's good to hear that you've got the xft stuff working somewhat. I like the idea of a lightweight wm with xft. We'll see how everything goes. We all appreciate the work, moe!

#450 2012-10-17 23:42:38

mhertz

Just wanted to add that on e.g. ratpoison, then xft doubles the memory usage(ps_mem). This is also true when not using any xft fonts, so I always builded it with '--without-xft' when I used it...

Obviously the amount of memory is still ridiculously low anyways, but just a heads-up smile

Board footer