You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-07 09:48:17

mr_brightside

Small problems, seeking solutions...

OK, answers to any or all of these questions would be much appreciated smile  :

1)  alsamixer won't store the sound settings - doing alsactl store doesn't make alsamixer retain its settings after the next reboot. Is something loading before it that shouldn't, or vice-versa? :shock:

2) My audigy 2 value soundcard plays tons of bass all the time; it's like my sub's in overdrive. This definitely isn't due to the physical settings or alsamixer volumes, so is it a kernel bug related to the emu10k1 drivers it uses? If so, where would I find a patch, and how would I apply it? roll

3) How do I get numlock to turn on at boot-up?

4) How would I find the hex codes for the shortcut keys on my keyboard so that I can bind them to actions, and which file would I edit to perform the binding?

5) I've got a MySQL database installed; I've changed the root password for it, but when I installed the database, it told me i should also do a command along the lines of mysqladmin -r root -u teardrop 'password' (NOTE: I'm pretty sure the '-r' parameter I put there is wrong, but that's the gist of the command) to set the password, since my server name is teardrop. However, having done said command, I get an error message... I don't know whether or not I need to carry out this command, since the simpler command I first did to set the root password worked (mysqladmin -r root 'password' or something similar), and I am prompted for a password upon entering mysql -p into the terminal.

6) I tried to set up VNC in Arch and it failed spectacularly; is there either an easy-to-configure alternative, or a decent guide that someone has a link to? I looked in the archwiki, but was unable to find anything on the subject.  :x

Cheers guys.  wink

#2 2005-10-07 10:02:54

balrog

Re: Small problems, seeking solutions...

To your first question:

Add alsa into deamons in rc.conf file. Should work now. smile

8)

Respect is everything 8)

#3 2005-10-07 11:44:31

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

for numlock in X windows, install numlockx and add it to ~/.xinitrc before the exec line, backgrounded (numlockx &).

#4 2005-10-07 14:28:11

mr_brightside

Thanks for the responses guys; much appreciated.

I'm still seeking answers to my other questions - any help would be very appreciated. smile

Cheers guys.

#5 2005-10-07 14:43:24

Moo-Crumpus

mr_brightside wrote:

2) My audigy 2 value soundcard plays tons of bass all the time; it's like my sub's in overdrive. This definitely isn't due to the physical settings or alsamixer volumes, so is it a kernel bug related to the emu10k1 drivers it uses? If so, where would I find a patch, and how would I apply it? roll

I use an audigy 2 Z - I think - and have no issues with the kernel mod. But the first time I used it, I had noise problems, too. I found out that audigy uses a "record everything the user can hear" function. When I entered teamspeak channels, everyone asked me if I could stop this heavy metal background music. After I had disabled this function, everything was fine. I don't remember exactly, but I think in alsamixer this function hides behind one of the pcm channels. Are you sure it is nothing like that?

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#6 2005-10-07 14:45:32

Moo-Crumpus

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#7 2005-10-07 15:07:00

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Probably best to use a separate thread for questions in future.  This is for two reasons.  The more replies this thread gets the more people won't read it, assuming you got all the answers already.  And secondly it helps people searching the forums later, especially if these threads have useful details in their titles.

#8 2005-10-07 16:14:53

havli

don't forget to add

alsa restore

to starting scripts, e.g. rc.local

#9 2005-10-07 16:37:20

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

havli wrote:

don't forget to add

alsa restore

to starting scripts, e.g. rc.local

The alsa daemon in rc.d already mentioned does that

#10 2005-10-07 19:34:49

havli

I see. Thanks, I didn't know that.
In fact, I was using old method like calling single scripts. For next time I should read more carefully, especially when in the first reply is advice to  load alsa module :oops:  :-)

#11 2005-10-08 11:00:04

balrog

havli:

good to see someone else from CR 8)

Respect is everything 8)

#12 2005-10-08 16:46:40

mr_brightside

Any info on VNC guys? That's my main concern, after you solved my other problems... that MySQL question still stands too, but I'm sure I can find the answer to that one on my own, with more searching.  smile

Board footer