You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-10 14:03:41

daGrevis
Website

[SOLVED] Unable to use GUI applications on any WM I tried except TWM

I'm using Arch Linux at my work despite it's very risky because something may go wrong pretty often (rolling distro, latest packages, DIY for newbs like me etc.). Unfortunately, this is one of those times...

I was using Xmonad. It all started w/ Chromium crashing a lot. I had a discussion about it here, but nobody found a solution. Chromium just got frozen and I could only kill it manually. Then I switched to Google Chrome and it get a little better. Today it was so bad that I couldn't do my daily work, so I switched to Opera; then Firefox... the same! After that I discovered that it happens w/ any GUI application. Good thing I'm using terminals for almost anything else I do. smile Anyway, I need GUI browser! So I thought that it may be something related to Xmonad itself. That's why I installed Xfce4 and... ...the same - GUI crashes. It's even worse actually because Xfce4 has a lot more GUI elements than Xmonad.

Now I'm writing from TWM and it has crashed only twice in two hours. What should I do? I really have no idea what could broke the things here. I really need help, guys!

Ohh, back home I have PC w/ almost the same conf -- everything works. Driver problems?

P.S. Title says "wrong focus" because sometimes application just freezes, sometimes it loses focus and I'm unable to use it... weird stuff.
P.S.S. Changed title.

Last edited by daGrevis (2012-10-11 06:45:33)

#2 2012-10-10 14:08:33

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to use GUI applications on any WM I tried except TWM

Can you post some logs? Maybe it's the graphics card's fault.

#3 2012-10-10 14:14:24

daGrevis
Website

#4 2012-10-10 15:23:28

daGrevis
Website

Here's pacman.log: http://sprunge.us/ZFGD .

I have noticed this:

> [2012-10-09 12:13] unregistering X11-1.6.0 would break the following packages: xmonad-contrib-0.10 X11-xft-0.3.1 xmonad-0.10 (ignoring)

Could it be related to the problem somehow?

#5 2012-10-11 06:44:51

daGrevis
Website

So, as I understand it.... Haskell somehow conflicted w/ X11 when I did system upgrade.

Quick solution was to:

1. Remove Xmonad (xmonad, xmonad-contrib),
2. Try to remove Haskell (ghc),
3. Remove all needed packages that disallows to remove Haskell,
4. Remove Haskell,
5. Check that system still works (I tried to do things w/ TWM and system upgrade),
6. Put on any WM (I'm now using Awesome, but you can try to reinstall Xmonad as well (just follow all logs and stuff)).

Also, this fixed problem /w browser crashing.

P.S. Maybe this is just temporary solution, but for last 30 mins everything works /w problems.

Board footer