You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-10 15:06:06

El Lobo
Banned

[Solved] Neverwinter Nights finally b0rked

(In case you don't know: Neverwinter Nights is a native Linux 32bit application.)

I have made this once favourite game of mine run on all distributions I used over time, including Fedora, OpenSuSE and Gentoo. It seems, with my newest experiment, ArchLinux, I don't succeed with it, and I don't know why.

One problem seemed to be finding matching 32bit libraries. I extracted them from Slackware 12.1, which, in my opinion, should work.

There are some dependencies, especially with Mesa, that make the co-existing ArchLinux multilib 32bit libraries difficult to handle. Different versions of compiler and system libraries at the same time I tried to avoid. (Since it throws core then in a glibc routine, e.g.)

But my result is that: Either I get sound (properly), or I get some display (sometimes only the mouse pointer, sometimes dim, sometimes freezing), but only once I got both sound and display at the same time. Quite unstable the whole thing, it seems.

Using an NVidia driver together with its OpenGL libs doesn't make it any better, I guess...

Now I am at the end of my Latin. Please, can someone help? I have worked quite unsystematically, so I have absolutely no clue...

Last edited by El Lobo (2012-10-10 23:15:05)

#2 2012-10-10 16:06:36

Jodell

Re: [Solved] Neverwinter Nights finally b0rked

Did you try using the PKGBUILDS in the AUR?

#3 2012-10-10 16:12:16

El Lobo
Banned

No.

Upd. In case you meant that as a recommendation. Display black, no sound. Linking apparently successful.

Upd 2. It crashed, but not visibly. I am checking the core dump.

Last edited by El Lobo (2012-10-10 16:33:50)

#4 2012-10-11 00:09:18

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

El Lobo wrote:

I extracted them from Slackware 12.1, which, in my opinion, should work.

Sounds iffy to me. I used to play quite a while back but have moved on since. In the end I found it easier to just play the windows version with Wine, ironically.... the fact that the Linux version depends on so many old libs means it will eventually stop working.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2012-10-11 00:10:14

El Lobo
Banned

Thx, it worked with the SDL from AUR after I trashed the remaining two libraries of the original distribution. It seems, the libSDL caused the problems.

#6 2012-10-11 02:29:29

smudge

Do you have a nwn or nwnights script in the install folder? Whichever you have there should be a comment inside that says:

# If you do not wish to use the SDL library included in the package, remove
# ./lib from LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./miles:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

It works fine here with just the required multilib packages so you shouldn't really need "SDL from AUR".

#7 2012-10-11 02:32:19

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

El Lobo wrote:

Thx, it worked with the SDL from AUR after I trashed the remaining two libraries of the original distribution. It seems, the libSDL caused the problems.

In general I wouldn't advise using any libraries from another distro. Of course you could if you know what you're doing, but who has the time, eh. Glad you got it solved.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2012-10-11 03:32:04

El Lobo
Banned

ngoonee wrote:
El Lobo wrote:

In general I wouldn't advise using any libraries from another distro. Of course you could if you know what you're doing, but who has the time, eh. Glad you got it solved.

Hm, I suppose I have to reopen the thread.

A few hours ago, I thought that I have solved the problem, but it appears, in many of the times started, video initialization fails, and it's nearly the same as before: Sound now always seems to work, but graphics might be totally black, somewhat dim, or frozen. Starting it several times in a row, and I get a broken game half of the time, and I can't predict when.

I mean, it has got better altogether, because the rest of the time I have a working game!

At the moment, I do not use any third-party libs. The reason must lie somewhere in an ArchLinux package...

#9 2012-10-11 04:46:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

El Lobo wrote:

The reason must lie somewhere in an ArchLinux package...

Or in a symlink you may have created at somewhere in time.

Or in a change you may or may not have made to settings.ini or some other NWN-specific file.

It COULD be an a repo package (or AUR package) but lacking any debug information or error information, we can just guess (as we have been guessing since the start of the thread)....

#10 2012-10-11 05:38:27

El Lobo
Banned

ngoonee wrote:

but lacking any debug information or error information, we can just guess (as we have been guessing since the start of the thread)....

Indeed. I have no experience with debugging an X11 or OpenGL stream, but it should be possible. (Somewhat easier than using gdb single stepping.) Or maybe ltrace?
Can you give me a hint what tools I could use with X11 / OpenGL?

#11 2012-10-11 06:53:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Actually just running it from the console should give you some error messages to start on. Diff the outputs between the times it works and the times it doesn't.

Board footer