You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-08 12:30:45

mind_the_gap
Member
Registered: 2010-07-27
Posts: 14

Logout/Exit to display manager when going into tablet mode

Hi,

I run arch on a Lenovo ThinPad x220t tablet computer. As a display menager I use SLiM and i3 is my window manager.

Since some weeks I have a strange problem and I don't really know where else I should look for hints about the source of this issue: When I go into tablet mode (turning around display and close the lid), I get logged out/sent back to SLiM. I use acpid and thinkpad_acpi. So I started to look in some log files:

  • messages.log only tells me: acpid: client 2802[0:0] has disconnected

  • user.log tells me twice: logger: ACPI group/action undefined: video/tabletmode / TBLT

  • syslog.log just tells me that syslog-ng gets restarted on every logout/login

  • acpid.log tells me: client 2802[0:0] has disconnected

  • Xorg.0.log doesn't have any hints; X server isn't restarted

However, slim.log tells me:

slim: pam_end(): System error

So it might be a pam problem, but I couldn't figure out where pam would write this. Next I tried to get some udev events logged with

udevadm --debug monitor

but this did not bring up anything. Also the acpid wiki page did not suggest anything related to troubleshooting this. Now I basically know:

  • pam seems to have a problem

  • acpid processes the event

So if you have an idea what the problem is, where I could find some traces of it or where else to look, I would appreciate a pointer.

Thanks in advance,
mtg

Update: In contrast to what is written above, the X server does actually crash.

Last edited by mind_the_gap (2012-10-14 21:01:56)

Offline

#2 2012-10-08 13:17:44

dontbugme
Banned
Registered: 2011-11-04
Posts: 166
Website

Re: Logout/Exit to display manager when going into tablet mode

I have the same problem with a ThinkPad X61 tablet since I did a system upgrade a couple of days ago.
I'm using xfce and xfwm.

What I can find in the logs is this message:

"ACPI group/action undefined: video/tabletmode / TBLT"

So apparently acpid tries to handle the event.

I also found this line:

Warning: Configuration file /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/board-specific/*.conf is not readable, skipping.

Thanks for helping. This is quite a nuicance because I can't use tablet mode at all now.

Offline

#3 2012-10-08 13:37:23

mind_the_gap
Member
Registered: 2010-07-27
Posts: 14

Re: Logout/Exit to display manager when going into tablet mode

dontbugme,

dontbugme wrote:

I have the same problem with a ThinkPad X61 tablet since I did a system upgrade a couple of days ago.
I'm using xfce and xfwm.

Good to know that this has apparently nothing to to with my setup in particular. However, a pity that you have the same problem.

dontbugme wrote:

"ACPI group/action undefined: video/tabletmode / TBLT"

So apparently acpid tries to handle the event.

Yes, like in my first post mentioned, I also get this line. Even twice. It is in the /var/log/user.log file. It originates from the /etc/acpid/handler.sh script (in turn called from /etc/acpid/events/anything) and makes sense in there. The default file has in fact no handler for the video/tabletmode event. At least to me this seems not problematic. I guess one would add auto-rotation there if one wanted that feature.

dontbugme wrote:

I also found this line:

Warning: Configuration file /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/board-specific/*.conf is not readable, skipping.

Where did you find this line?

dontbugme wrote:

This is quite a nuicance because I can't use tablet mode at all now.

Bummer, indeed. Same is true for me.

Cheers,
mtg

Offline

#4 2012-10-08 15:20:36

dontbugme
Banned
Registered: 2011-11-04
Posts: 166
Website

Re: Logout/Exit to display manager when going into tablet mode

mind_the_gap wrote:
dontbugme wrote:

I also found this line:

Warning: Configuration file /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/board-specific/*.conf is not readable, skipping.

Where did you find this line?

I found it in /var/log/messages.log. But although it looks suspicious, I think it is not the root of the problem, since (after looking at older log files) I found that that warning was there before.

Also something I noticed: When still used to work, the logs had lines like this:

laptop-mode: active [unchanged]

Whereas now, it says "not active [unchanged]"
Why does it say not active?

Offline

#5 2012-10-10 22:15:35

mauritzius
Member
Registered: 2009-08-07
Posts: 25

Re: Logout/Exit to display manager when going into tablet mode

I've got a Lenovo X200 Tablet with the same problem.

To get into Tablet Mode (and out of it), I temporarily disable acpid before converting by issuing

sudo systemctl stop acpid

and restarting it after the transition. I don't know, however, what actually causes the problem.

Are you all using systemd or does this happen with the "traditiona" init system as well?

Last edited by mauritzius (2012-10-10 22:16:55)

Offline

#6 2012-10-11 15:48:31

mind_the_gap
Member
Registered: 2010-07-27
Posts: 14

Re: Logout/Exit to display manager when going into tablet mode

mauritzius wrote:

I've got a Lenovo X200 Tablet with the same problem.

To get into Tablet Mode (and out of it), I temporarily disable acpid before converting by issuing

sudo systemctl stop acpid

and restarting it after the transition. I don't know, however, what actually causes the problem.

Interesting, this in fact does work. (in my case sudo rc.d stop acpid, though). This gives us at least one way to enter tablet mode, thanks. So acpid seems definitely involved in this. I also tried and put a handler for this video/tabletmode ACPI event in /etc/acpi/handler.sh. However, this had no effect, but the previous warning about the unhandled event disappeared (of course).

mauritzius wrote:

Are you all using systemd or does this happen with the "traditiona" init system as well?

I am using a traditional system. So it doesn't seem linked to systemd.

So I tried to get some more output from acpid and set the deamon's options in /etc/conf.d/acpid:

ACPID_ARGS="-d -l"

With this acpid seems to go in a foreground mode and I see some debug log after starting the daemon on the CLI:

Deprecated /proc/acpi/event was not found.  Trying netlink and the input layer...
input layer /dev/input/event0 (AT Translated Set 2 keyboard) opened successfully, fd 4
input layer /dev/input/event1 (ThinkPad Extra Buttons) opened successfully, fd 5
input layer /dev/input/event11 (HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=8) opened successfully, fd 6
input layer /dev/input/event12 (HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=7) opened successfully, fd 7
input layer /dev/input/event13 (HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=3) opened successfully, fd 8
input layer /dev/input/event2 (Lid Switch) opened successfully, fd 9
input layer /dev/input/event3 (Sleep Button) opened successfully, fd 10
input layer /dev/input/event4 (Power Button) opened successfully, fd 11
input layer /dev/input/event9 (Video Bus) opened successfully, fd 12
inotify fd: 13
inotify wd: 1
netlink opened successfully
acpid: starting up with netlink and the input layer
parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/anything
acpid: 1 rule loaded
acpid: waiting for events: event logging is on
acpid: client connected from 8324[0:0]
acpid: 1 client rule loaded
acpid: received input layer event "video/tabletmode TBLT on"
acpid: rule from 8324[0:0] matched
acpid: notifying client 8324[0:0]
acpid: rule from /etc/acpi/events/anything matched
acpid: executing action "/etc/acpi/handler.sh video/tabletmode TBLT on"
Tablet mode
acpid: action exited with status 0
acpid: 2 total rules matched
acpid: completed input layer event "video/tabletmode TBLT on"
acpid: client 8324[0:0] has disconnected
acpid: client connected from 8389[0:0]
acpid: 1 client rule loaded
acpid: received input layer event "video/tabletmode TBLT off"
acpid: rule from 8389[0:0] matched
acpid: notifying client 8389[0:0]
acpid: rule from /etc/acpi/events/anything matched
acpid: executing action "/etc/acpi/handler.sh video/tabletmode TBLT off"
Tablet mode
acpid: action exited with status 0
acpid: 2 total rules matched
acpid: completed input layer event "video/tabletmode TBLT off"
acpid: client 8389[0:0] has disconnected
acpid: client connected from 8402[0:0]
acpid: 1 client rule loaded
acpid: client 8402[0:0] has disconnected
acpid: exiting
END HANDLER MESSAGES
END HANDLER MESSAGES

This is the output from starting the daemon, going into tablet mode and going back to normal mode. During this, the "logout" did happen.

The "Tablet mode" output you see after "executing action ..." results from my handler action in handler.sh. In fact this output is the only thing the handler does on this event.

So it seems that there are actually two rules that match this event. One is my handler.sh rule and the other one comes from a client:

acpid: rule from 8324[0:0] matched
acpid: notifying client 8324[0:0]

This client then also disconnects and I guess it is the one that causes the actual trouble. However, I don't know what client this could be.

By the way, all this happens not only, when logged in: When I go into tablet mode before I login, in the display manager, it happens as well. So I guess it is not really a "logout" what is happening there.

Last edited by mind_the_gap (2012-10-11 18:14:24)

Offline

#7 2012-10-11 19:42:25

unlimitedbacon
Member
Registered: 2012-07-16
Posts: 17

Re: Logout/Exit to display manager when going into tablet mode

Just wanted to check in and confirm the same issue on my x200t. I was messing around with acpid, trying to get automatic rotation working, when this started going on. Glad to know its a common issue and not something I just screwed up.

mind_the_gap wrote:

By the way, all this happens not only, when logged in: When I go into tablet mode before I login, in the display manager, it happens as well. So I guess it is not really a "logout" what is happening there.

The X server is clearly crashing and being restarted by init. I noticed in your first post you say that Xorg.0.log doesn't contain any hints, but mine clearly indicates a segfault. Did you remember to check Xorg.0.log.old instead?

Edit: There appears to be a related bug report here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55329

Last edited by unlimitedbacon (2012-10-11 19:54:52)

Offline

#8 2012-10-11 21:47:06

mind_the_gap
Member
Registered: 2010-07-27
Posts: 14

Re: Logout/Exit to display manager when going into tablet mode

unlimitedbacon wrote:
mind_the_gap wrote:

By the way, all this happens not only, when logged in: When I go into tablet mode before I login, in the display manager, it happens as well. So I guess it is not really a "logout" what is happening there.

The X server is clearly crashing and being restarted by init. I noticed in your first post you say that Xorg.0.log doesn't contain any hints, but mine clearly indicates a segfault. Did you remember to check Xorg.0.log.old instead?

Erm, you are right. Sorry for the confusion. Indeed, my Xorg.0.log.old file ends with a server termination due to an error.

unlimitedbacon wrote:

Edit: There appears to be a related bug report here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55329

Thanks for the link. This seems to be the issue we encounter here. This also sheds a bit more light on what changes happened before this (introduction of this new event).

Offline

#9 2012-10-15 18:07:44

Ponder
Member
Registered: 2012-10-14
Posts: 5

Re: Logout/Exit to display manager when going into tablet mode

As posted here I got the same issue. However, this does not happen, if I start acpid from a terminal emulator within X or when switching the VT before switching into tablet mode. Can you confirm this?

Last edited by Ponder (2012-10-15 18:08:07)

Offline

#10 2012-10-18 14:04:30

mauritzius
Member
Registered: 2009-08-07
Posts: 25

Re: Logout/Exit to display manager when going into tablet mode

I uninstalled acpid as I don't really need it - problem gone for me.

Offline

#11 2012-11-14 16:33:30

swiftscythe
Member
From: Rennes, France
Registered: 2009-04-28
Posts: 129
Website

Re: Logout/Exit to display manager when going into tablet mode

mauritzius wrote:

I uninstalled acpid as I don't really need it - problem gone for me.

Yes, uninstalling acpid solved the problem for me! Thanks!

Offline

#12 2013-04-08 09:17:49

Guillaume
Member
Registered: 2013-04-08
Posts: 2

Re: Logout/Exit to display manager when going into tablet mode

As of version 2.0.18, acpid sends correctly formatted strings when going to tablet mode and back, so X does not crash anymore.

If interested, I posted at

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1256091

my scripts that enable auto-rotation of the screen.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB