You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-02 13:14:05

Technicolor

[Solved] Switching users on lightdm-unity with MATE

Hi, I have yet another question.
How can you switch users with MATE while lightdm-ubuntu with lightdm-unity-greeter is installed? I looked everywhere, but I did not find anything.
Thanks.

FIXED:
Basically, there was a gdmflexiserver file in /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm, so after some deductive reasoning, I was like, hey, maybe it should be in /usr/bin?
so I did "sudo ln -s /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm/gdmflexiserver /usr/bin/gdmflexiserver" and now both the Switch User prompt AND the xscreensaver New User button works! ^o^

Last edited by Technicolor (2012-10-12 21:35:00)

#2 2012-10-03 22:37:07

faidoc
Trusted User (TU)
Website

Re: [Solved] Switching users on lightdm-unity with MATE

lightdm has a bug with gnome based desktops as mate and cinnamon. LightDM uses system bus while gnome uses session bus.

Like is said in this bug report, Ubuntu get to work with lightdm using a workaround

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=683373

#3 2012-10-04 13:20:49

Technicolor

faidoc wrote:

lightdm has a bug with gnome based desktops as mate and cinnamon. LightDM uses system bus while gnome uses session bus.

Like is said in this bug report, Ubuntu get to work with lightdm using a workaround

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=683373

Okay, I read it, but the thing is, I really don't understand it. I am still quite noob with Arch and all of its... complexity. :l
Can you put it in a simple English way for me like "put this file to that file and then remove this line from that file and then do this"? I would really appreciate it.

#4 2012-10-12 12:54:21

Technicolor

bump

#5 2012-10-12 16:50:22

Stefan Husmann

#6 2012-10-12 16:57:44

WonderWoofy

@Technicolor, FYI "bumping" is frowned upon in these forums.  Also, you are not likely to get your hand held around here.  It is great that you are a new user and have taken the first steps to becoming a learned Linux user, but that learning is best done for yourself.  If you are simply given the answer, it will encourage you to not make an attempt to understand why you are doing what you are doing.

So good luck, and I hope you enjoy Arch and all of its... simplicity!

#7 2012-10-12 20:51:10

Technicolor

WonderWoofy wrote:

@Technicolor, FYI "bumping" is frowned upon in these forums.  Also, you are not likely to get your hand held around here.  It is great that you are a new user and have taken the first steps to becoming a learned Linux user, but that learning is best done for yourself.  If you are simply given the answer, it will encourage you to not make an attempt to understand why you are doing what you are doing.

So good luck, and I hope you enjoy Arch and all of its... simplicity!

Oic. Yeah, it's just I'm used to being talked to as if I was an idiot (and usually I am tongue) Yeah, I'll attempt at not breaking my PC while doing this change.

Simplicity. lol
You mean reading the wiki every two seconds. wink

#8 2012-10-12 21:04:18

Technicolor

It only talks about switching users under MATE.

#9 2012-10-12 21:05:57

Technicolor

Okay, I found out that /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm/gdmflexiserver is the command for switching users, but the problem I am experiencing is, that I don't know what config file or whatever MATE (it seems to me what Gnome2 uses MATE does not use) uses to switch users, and even though I googled it extensively, I found no results.
I'll keep you guys informed if I find anything that might work.

Edit: Fixed! ^o^ fix on top.

Last edited by Technicolor (2012-10-12 21:35:36)

#10 2012-10-12 21:39:51

WonderWoofy

Maybe you should have just used a symlink to the file.  I say this for two reasons; first, the package manager (pacman) will probably keep better track of the file if it is left in place, so if you want to remove it at some point, it will still be there to remove.  Second, in case there is some other function that depends on that file being where it was, it will still be there.  With a symlink, you will still get the functionality you desire here, and the file in question will get to reside where the packager intended.

#11 2012-10-12 22:20:13

Technicolor

WonderWoofy wrote:

Maybe you should have just used a symlink to the file.  I say this for two reasons; first, the package manager (pacman) will probably keep better track of the file if it is left in place, so if you want to remove it at some point, it will still be there to remove.  Second, in case there is some other function that depends on that file being where it was, it will still be there.  With a symlink, you will still get the functionality you desire here, and the file in question will get to reside where the packager intended.

Isn't "ln -s" the function for creating a symlink? Because I did "ln -s ..long directory.../gdmflexiserver /usr/bin/gdmflexiserver"
So I think I created a symlink.

#12 2012-10-12 22:34:11

WonderWoofy

Indeed, you did make a symlink, sorry I did not read it closely enough.

#13 2012-10-15 15:20:49

Technicolor

WonderWoofy wrote:

Indeed, you did make a symlink, sorry I did not read it closely enough.

Oh, okay, I see.

Board footer