You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-13 03:05:55

kalantir

ATI Rage Mobility Driver problem

Hello. I managed to succesfully install Arch Linux on a old Acer TravelMate 732TXV. To put things in perspective, that's from the Win98 era. I am having some difficulty getting acceleration enabled. So far, I have managed to get a working graphical display using the xf86-video-vesa 2.3.2-1 package. I am trying to figure out if there is a better driver I should be using instead.
The output of 'lspci | grep VGA' is "01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)".
I have tried xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-r128(only one driver package installed at any given time) but neither one worked for me. Only vesa. I read some other threads from years ago where people were asking about the same thing and some of the threads were non conclusive and others posted results that I didn't fully understsand such as this website.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=29918
That thread isn't exactly recent though, so I don't know how relevant it even is. What do I have to do to get acceleration working?

One last thing that might be relevant is that I have no way of installing Arch Linux directly on the laptop because it has no wifi capabilities and I don't have physical access to the router or modem. I have been using my other laptop to install Arch Linux to a flash drive. Then I am booting from the flash drive on the target laptop (which required a live-cd boot manager) to test things (I plan on copying the flash drive over to the hdd after I get it set up right). I'm not sure if that could effect this issue or not.

I don't mind if I have to downgrade some packages if that's what I have to do. This is basically just going to be a gimp machine.

Last edited by kalantir (2012-10-13 03:20:28)

#2 2012-10-13 03:08:21

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: ATI Rage Mobility Driver problem

Nevermind - thanks for the title update.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-10-13 03:08:57)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-10-13 03:19:32

WonderWoofy

No idea about the ATI Rage, from reading that otehr thread, hopefully you know what a pkgbuild is, yeah?  I would imagine though that all that info is pretty outdated.

Why not use your other laptop to connect to wi-fi and then connect the old laptop to the newer one via ethernet cable and share the connection?  Wouldn't this be much more optimal?

#4 2012-10-13 03:22:54

kalantir

WonderWoofy wrote:

Why not use your other laptop to connect to wi-fi and then connect the old laptop to the newer one via ethernet cable and share the connection?  Wouldn't this be much more optimal?

Can I do this with just an ethernet cord and 2 laptops? I'm also not really sure if my ethernet cord works.

#5 2012-10-13 03:25:43

WonderWoofy

Well, it certainly won't work if the cable is bad, but yes this can be done pretty easily.

#6 2012-10-13 19:02:40

kalantir

So this morning I installed Arch Linux to the laptop using an ethernet cord. I am still having problems locating a working driver besides vesa.

As I said before, I am fully willing to use old/outdated packages if I need to. This laptop will not be doing anything other than running LXDE and Gimp.

Board footer