You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-13 03:14:06

jynnantonix

[A light in the darkness] tty doesn't receive Meta+Shift keystrokes

HI,

After a system upgrade a couple of days ago, my tty no longer receives any Meta+Shift keystrokes (for example, doing C-v M-> doesn't show anything and tty is still waiting for input).  I'm not really sure what's causing this problem.  I thought it might be libusbx since I use a usb keyboard but when I downgraded that package, the problem was still there.  There were a a lot of packages that were upgraded including linux, dbus, gcc, util-linux, and a bunch of kde stuff so I don't really want to downgrade each one-by-one. 

I guess my question is what package is responsible for sending input from the keyboard to tty?  Even a list of possible packages would be great so I could narrow my search.

Last edited by jynnantonix (2012-10-21 02:12:03)

#2 2012-10-20 00:54:28

jynnantonix

Re: [A light in the darkness] tty doesn't receive Meta+Shift keystrokes

So I finally got some time to brute-force my way through this.  I upgraded every package one at a time (with reboots in between each one) until I finally found the culprit: systemd...

... which makes no sense because I don't use systemd.  Just to make sure I rolled my system back and upgraded everything except systemd with -Syu and sure enough, the problem was gone.  I was actually hoping to use this weekend to make the switch over to systemd but now I don't really want to - I spend most of my time in terminal emacs and not being able to type M-S-anything is incredibly obnoxious.

Anyone have any ideas why just upgrading systemd from 193->194 without actually using it would cause this?  Is this a problem with systemd itself?  Should I file a bug report?  Any help would be much appreciated,  I don't even know where to start to look from here.

#3 2012-10-20 20:11:57

moetunes

My impression of what appears to be the systemd developement direction is soon, if you don't use a *dm and gui everything, you won't be able to use gnu/linux. I hope that's not the case but it is the impression I'm left with.
You seem to be suffering because you aren't using the os as the developement path for systemd expects, I guess.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#4 2012-10-21 02:09:06

jynnantonix

That's really unfortunate.  I do have kde installed but the only reason I ever start it is to occasionally use meshlab.  Arch is on my research workstation so I use it almost exclusively for programming, and emacs takes care of the few times I need to do something else.  The whole reason I decided to use arch is because it allows its users to keep things as simple and minimalistic as they want.  Requiring a window/desktop manager is neither simple nor minimalistic.

Yes I understand arch is not responsible for what systemd does and I have nothing against systemd itself - from everything I've read about it, it seems like the natural next step from initscripts/sysvinit.  But requiring me to use x when I have no need for it seems counter to the arch way.  Hopefully that's not how things go.

/rant

For now, I guess I'll go complain about this on the systemd mailing list (=_=)

#5 2012-10-21 02:21:22

WonderWoofy

moetunes wrote:

My impression of what appears to be the systemd developement direction is soon, if you don't use a *dm and gui everything, you won't be able to use gnu/linux. I hope that's not the case but it is the impression I'm left with.

What gives you this impression?  I have seen absolutely no indication of this, and can't even begin to imagine what it is you are referring to.  Please explain, as I am sincerely confused by this statement.

Board footer