You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-14 05:35:14

Deuterium

[SOLVED] xfce does not start after SLiM login :S

hello, i have been following the wiki's to setup X, and xfce (which works when i start it from CLI (startxfce4)), and i have installed SLiM which works too! smile

Anyway, i have setup SLiM to startup via /etc/inittab, (Runlevel 5).  I use ~/.xinitrc to run my xfce WM:

#the only uncommented line is:
exec startxfce4

The problem is that once SLiM loads, and i login, X seems to crash (i see the CLI login) before SLiM respawns, and i am required to login again.  I think it must be a simple issue of xfce not actually being started?

i have tried changing startxfce4 to xfce-session, neither work. The login code for SLiM is (/etc/slim.conf):

login_cmd         exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session

and from the same file, my available sessions are:

sessions          xfce4,icewm,wmaker,blackbox

So, ive heard of some other people who seemed to experience this same issue, but i cant seem to resolve it like they did sad  anyway, i think i must be missing something and would like some help? thanks.

Last edited by Deuterium (2009-12-14 11:36:06)

#2 2009-12-14 07:12:09

Deuterium

Re: [SOLVED] xfce does not start after SLiM login :S

Update:
ive discovered that on eliminating auto-loading SLiM, xfce now does not work! sad even though earlier today it did, before installing SLiM.  Maybe i accidentally messed up a configuration file.  Anybody know where the error logs of xfce4 are?  maybe i can extract some more information from it...

#3 2009-12-14 10:14:03

Deuterium

okay then, ive examined the /var/log/slim.log file, and i have found the following:

-slim starts X, and then xauth creates a "new authority file /var/run/slim.auth"

-when X starts, is says it is reverting to the "default built-in configuration (30 lines)" <--i have ~/.xinitrc file

-X then says "(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)" <--problem with this?

-after this, xauth creates a new authority file in ~/.Xauthoriy

-then startxfce4 then reports "X server already running on display :0.0" <--does this mean X is trying to be started twice?

-then 4 errors are shown: Unknown directives "Those","or","Xft" and "Xft" (it says '4 errors in preprocessor')

-xfce4-session then tells me "Unable to access file ~/.ICEauthority: Permission denied"

sorry its not very neatly laid out, im writing this from my desktop, so i have to type a lot.

#4 2009-12-14 10:25:14

Deuterium

oooh. another important discovery! if i dont start in runlevel 5, (instead i start in 3), then run startxfce4 as *root*, then i get my nice little WM up and running like nothings wrong.  however, doing the same with a regular user returns me the same errors as normal.

so now im thinking its a problem with the privileges my regular user has.  Maybe i should be a member of some group? change some permissions on a file? im not sure what i should do to give my user the correct privileges.  maybe its that i cant execute HAL or FAM or something which xfce depends on?

#5 2009-12-14 11:35:52

Deuterium

phew, i figured it out! i saw the permissions on ~/.ICEauthority was rw------- so i simply removed the file with sudo rm (and ~/.Xauthority) and then did startxcfe4, it WORKED! big_smile  thanks for the help guys, couldnt have done it without you lol.  i learnt alot though!

#6 2009-12-25 00:05:52

alphazo

Many thanks Deuterium. You saved my day! I posted a new thread and finally found your answer. The arch community is great. Now the question is how this file got permission changed?

[EDIT]

After few tests I noticed that while X is working automount is broken again and no possibilty to go to standby either. This was in the past solved by going to the latest version of consolekit. The problem is that I'm already running consolekit 0.4.1-2.
Here is the message I get when inserting a USB drive:

Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.38" (uid=1000 pid=3437 comm="exo-mount) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member="Mount" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=2806 comm="/usr/sbin/hald)).

[EDIT2]
The above error came from the fact that when I got stuck with no WM I modifed the .xinitrc to only have 'exec startxfce4' rather than my original '
exec ck-launch-session startxfce4'. Then after fixing the WM issue I forgot to modify .xinitirc back.

Last edited by alphazo (2009-12-25 10:07:58)

#7 2011-08-08 19:24:20

Beelzebud

Normally I'm not one to bump old threads, but a recent update caused this to happen to me, and the solution involving permissions on ~/.ICEauthority and ~/.Xauthority, in this thread was exactly what worked for me to get back to my desktop.   Arch community rules!

#8 2012-10-13 23:16:26

joe.peric

Hi.

I thought I would just add a finding to this:

Xfce4 was working fine on it's own. Every time I would set up my system as described in the wiki to use slim for logging in, I would have a similar issue. The login screen would just re-appear after entering my login information.

I followed a youtube tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQmkA79UBN4

It turns out I was missing the "dbus" entry in my daemons in the /etc/rc.conf file!

After putting that in, everything worked. I'm not sure if I screwed up in following the wiki, or if this issue isn't common.

Thanks for this thread, anyways!

#9 2012-10-13 23:45:27

WonderWoofy

Necro-necro-bumping!

#10 2012-10-13 23:49:27

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Well, this thread surely has run its course.
Closing.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

Board footer