You are not logged in.

#26 2012-10-12 16:33:27

keepitsimpleengineer

Re: [Solved]Network problems loading pages and with ping, DNS lookup?

In case it might be helpful, I posted the output of:
time curl -o -v /dev/null http://www.drudgereport.com
here: curl -o -v...

Al Einstein: "Man soll die Dinge so einfach machen wie möglich ~ aber nicht einfacher." (Things should be as simple as possible ~ but not too simple.) ~ Al (Einstein) war ein Cousin von Albert, "Al" ist die Abkürzung für Aloysius

#27 2012-10-12 19:20:09

gsgleason

The reason I output to /dev/null is because I don't really care about the html output.  I just want to see how long it takes, and it's pretty fast: 2/100 seconds in your case.

It looks like neither of those new files I have permission to view.

#28 2012-10-13 15:32:31

keepitsimpleengineer

gsgleason wrote:

It looks like neither of those new files I have permission to view.

Thanks, Fixed.

Al Einstein: "Man soll die Dinge so einfach machen wie möglich ~ aber nicht einfacher." (Things should be as simple as possible ~ but not too simple.) ~ Al (Einstein) war ein Cousin von Albert, "Al" ist die Abkürzung für Aloysius

#29 2012-10-14 05:24:39

gsgleason

The file Arch-ChromeDrgRpt is a zero-byte file.

#30 2012-10-14 17:44:24

keepitsimpleengineer

gsgleason wrote:

The file Arch-ChromeDrgRpt is a zero-byte file.

Arch-ChromeDrgRpt

WinXP-ChromeDrgRpt.zipx

Tested by seperate download, I apologize for the error.

#31 2012-10-15 04:05:04

gsgleason

There is a lot going on, and I don' thave time to analyze everything, but here is a summary and a hypothesis:

The pcap has two HTTP GET requests to the actual drudgereport servers, one for the index (GET /) and one for /favicon.ico, which the browser generally does on it's own to try to get the site icon, if any.   

Filter for drudgereport query used to get IP addresses for next filter:

dns.qry.name contains "drudgereport.com"

Filter for HTTP GET requests for the aforementioned drudgereport servers:

(ip.addr == 98.158.19.137 || ip.addr == 98.158.27.203) && http.request.method == GET

Now lets look at HTTP GET requests for NOT those servers:

!(ip.addr == 98.158.19.137 || ip.addr == 98.158.27.203) && http.request.method == GET

There are many.  The first is at .9 seconds, and the last is at 23.18 seconds.

Now looking at just the page request for drudgeport:

tcp.stream eq 4

It starts at .44 seconds and the server closes its end of the socket at  3.01 seconds, but your client doesn't close its until 10.47 seconds.  I find that odd.  Furthermore, the request for the favicon isn't until 22.35 seconds.  My guess is that your browser is waiting for things to finish first.  The things I am guessing are to blame are probably somewhere in the many extra requests to third parties in the interim.

It looks like no images were downloaded from drudgereport, likely becuase your browser has cached them already, so that may (or may not) add to the delay when not cached.

I theorize that a bunch of external stuff (ads, scripts, etc) are slowing things down.

Here is my advice for futher testing and observation for you to do:

Test with firefox with the noscript extension, which allows one to allow and disallow scripts per host or domain.   The default settings will block all scripts.  See how long the page load takes.  I am guessing it will be a short, just as we saw with curl, which only downloads the page's HTML and nothing else.

If this is the case, and it's fast with scripts disabled, proceed to test by allowing one script domain one at a time and reloading until a slowness is apparent, and which point you can filter down the pcap to the secific host to observce and compare.

Or just leave scripts disabled with noscript.

This is a lot less of an answer and hopefully helpful troubleshooting advice.  Why it would behave differently on the same machine with different OSes, I do not know.

Last edited by gsgleason (2012-10-15 04:14:22)

#32 2012-10-15 15:48:48

keepitsimpleengineer

gsgleason wrote:

Here is my advice for futher testing and observation for you to do:

Test with firefox with the noscript extension, which allows one to allow and disallow scripts per host or domain.   The default settings will block all scripts.  See how long the page load takes.  I am guessing it will be a short, just as we saw with curl, which only downloads the page's HTML and nothing else.

If this is the case, and it's fast with scripts disabled, proceed to test by allowing one script domain one at a time and reloading until a slowness is apparent, and which point you can filter down the pcap to the specific host to observe and compare.

I did exactly what you suggested, enabled NoScript 2.5.7, in FireFox 16.0.1 and Drudgreport.com loaded too fast to measure.

So now it's clear to me that scripts are the nub of the problem.

A little research found this for google: NotScripts for Chrome.

After downloading and installing it the web page now loads seemingly instantly.  I'm going to install it in all Linux and Windows OS's.

So thank you for your patience and hard work.  I am very happy and a lot smarter now.  I think I might be in love with wireshark.  I am definitely in love with NoScript and NotScript!

Marking thread solved.

#33 2012-10-15 17:07:30

gsgleason

Awesome.  I'm glad my effort was not wasted.  I hope you used the filters in wireshark to get an idea of what was going on.

The thing about wireshark is that it only shows your what's going on.  Without fundamental knowledge of the underlying protocols, it's not useful.

Also, know that a blanket rule for noscript to disallow all will break many pages.  I used to allow the things that seemed required to make certain page work, but it was arduous.  Now, I allow all and blacklist the bad ones.

Last edited by gsgleason (2012-10-15 17:31:10)

Board footer