You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-09 15:52:59

mr_brightside

After many efforts, VNC still won't work...

Right, PLEASE GOD someone help me sort this out. I've tried every combination of every command that I've seen suggested in all the VNC-related posts on bbs.archlinux, but no joy  :cry:

I wish to remotely connect to my currently active desktop (running arch) via an xp machine, using VNC. Firstly I did:

$ pacman -S x11vnc vnc // I installed vnc as well so as to get vncviewer

I then ran x11vnc -forever -display :0 from terminal inside xfce4. It ran fine, said it was on teardrop:0 (teardrop is the hostname of my machine). I then did vncviewer localhost:0 in another X display that I started, and I got a flickering black vncviewer window. I assumed that this meant I'd correctly run x11vnc, but simply needed to change the parameters to get the correct colour, res settings etc.

I then went onto my xp machine, and into vnc, and tried to connect to teardrop:0 ; it says that there's no such server. I've tried many different things to get vnc, and this series of events is merely the latest. Is there something I need to change in order to get my arch machine to listen on tcp/ip, or what? I'm getting really frustrated. I've tried alternatives to vnc, like freenx, but have had similar problems.

Please help  :?

#2 2005-10-09 16:39:15

ivi3

Re: After many efforts, VNC still won't work...

I justed tested here on my desktop:

desktop:
pacman -S x11vnc

then started it with:
x11vnc
The VNC desktop is <hostname>:0
PORT=5900

connected with vncviewer from my notebook by only typing the <hostname> into the VNC Server field.

Perhaps you have a firewall running that blocks connections on 5900?

greetings
Mathias

#3 2005-10-09 18:39:08

mr_brightside

Re: After many efforts, VNC still won't work...

Right, it seems I am a bit of a willy.
Yes, i tried to connect to my computer using the windows name when I don't have privileges to make dns entries on my local server.
All i need to use was my ip, not my computer name. please forward all abuse to my email address.

*cough* RETARD *cough*

Board footer