You are not logged in.

#2701 2012-10-06 20:52:57

hydn
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Does having a long thread like this cause any tuning issues with DB? Is this site running InnoDB or MyISAM?

Last edited by hydn (2012-10-06 20:56:31)

Linux Performance Blog: http://haydenjames.io/

#2702 2012-10-08 00:21:04

ka55o5

Hi guys,

Not on Arch yet, but this is the last eye will ever see of Windows; since the move to *nix:

Screenshot_10082012_02_17_39_AM.jpg

&& it's awesome!! smile

#2703 2012-10-08 13:12:19

nomorewindows

SanskritFritz wrote:
Pingul wrote:

Only thing I am missing is an actual pacman eating a bar when the installing tongue

/etc/pacman.conf:
[options]
ILoveCandy

Those are pellets!

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#2704 2012-10-08 15:25:53

Admetus

I'm in China, teaching in China, trying out fluxbox on my laptop.  XFCEvsFLUX  I'm still a novice so fluxbox will prove to be a steep learning curve.  Hoping to find reasons to stay with fluxbox when I install on an SSD based PC.  I love customisation and I'm going to break out conky for a try too.

Hello and welcome to the wired.

#2705 2012-10-09 18:11:12

mamamia88

nomorewindows wrote:
SanskritFritz wrote:
Pingul wrote:

Only thing I am missing is an actual pacman eating a bar when the installing tongue

/etc/pacman.conf:
[options]
ILoveCandy

Those are pellets!

awesome thanks so much for that.  made my day

#2706 2012-10-09 18:28:20

pogi

so hello big_smile

#2707 2012-10-10 12:04:44

bms220

Hey folks. I'm new Ubuntu user, but i found that is not enough for me. I can't learn so much as I expected, so i tried to install Arch on VirtualBox. Just to to be clear. Ubuntu is Linux, yes, but is not far away from Win, when we speak from friendly user point of view. At first i was in doubt, Arch or Gentoo. Gentoo is similar to Arch, but there is some issues about it (not technical). The main reason i choose Arch is better community. Gentoo is still good, but no offence, Arch is better, I believe.

Btw, I'm from Serbia and I'm Linux hobbyists.

S.M.U. - Simple.Minimal.Useful -

#2708 2012-10-10 17:20:59

jazzcat

Hello folks, I'm Jazzcat.

I'm coming over from LMDE and installing Arch to peek a little further down the rabbit hole. My eventual goal is LFS. Started on Ubuntu a year and a half ago so I'm a fair noob still. So I'm here, armed with google and my old toshiba p-505 and looking forward to seeing what Arch can do ^_^

Last edited by jazzcat (2012-10-10 17:21:23)

#2709 2012-10-11 06:54:19

jazzcat

mamamia88 wrote:
nomorewindows wrote:
SanskritFritz wrote:

/etc/pacman.conf:
[options]
ILoveCandy

Those are pellets!

awesome thanks so much for that.  made my day

Hahaha nice ^_^

#2710 2012-10-11 15:51:04

wwgfd

Hi folks,

Firstly:
    - Thanks to the developers and maintainers of this awesome distro!
    - Thanks to the community and team behind what has to be the best linux distro wiki on the web! (without which many a n00b like me would be lost)
    - and thanks (in advance) to everyone on this forum

I just installed Arch for the first time a few days ago (after nearly a year using the newbie friendly LinuxMint) and I have to say that already I love it!

Taking the time to read the docs and having another laptop to hand with the wiki open in a web browser meant a pretty clean and hassle free install.
  - I used the net installer which I added to my previous distro's boot loader menu to download and install the x86_64 base. No need to burn a disc or anything!
  - I also did a manual install (is there a gui installer?): i.e. a file-by-file config using nano. -- since part of my reason for choosing Arch was to learn as much as possible
    (so Woohoo! -- yes okay I'm still patting myself on the back a bit about all this)

Config so far:
    - SLiM, XFCE with Thunar+plugins etc., Guake terminal, GiMP, Bluefish editor, Midori browser (may swap to Chromium), FileRoller and more
    - Plus I am well o nthe way to a pure systemd config!

I'll be posting a few question that I have regarding config, packages/alternatives and optimization serperately.

See you on the forums!

What would Gordon Freeman do?

#2711 2012-10-11 16:03:30

ziofabio

Hello everyone!
Buon pomeriggio e un grazie anticipato a tutti quelli che mi aiuteranno!

Ciao

#2712 2012-10-11 22:16:56

Myshkin

Hi y'all!
Longtime Debian user trying out Arch hoping to stay with it.  We shall see.

#2713 2012-10-12 04:35:04

JLloyd13

been here for a bit after an ill fated attempt to overcome my noobness. back now a couple months later with a fully functioning arch linux system!

so, i have it dual booted with debian wheezy in this scheme:

sda1: /boot/efi, fat16
sda2: /boot, ext4
sda3: swap
sda4: /(arch), Btrfs
sda5: /(debian), ext4
sda6: empty (for a future install)
sda7: /home

I'm quite proud, so humor me tongue

I like all the kwin effects and love qt, but kde is just way to heavy, so I'm using razor-qt with kwin big_smile I get all the cool effect of kwin, a decent level of out-of-the-box while still being highly configurable, and an LXDE like ram use!

on debian I'm using DWM

now that i'm using arch on one of my main installs I hope to get to know all of you better and not TOO much of a help vampire

#2714 2012-10-12 07:31:08

the_joker

Morning ...

and hello from a new Arch user ...

been around some time but this is the first time i actually register to a forum ;-)

happy arching

#2715 2012-10-12 11:47:50

rogertux

I have been using Arch Linux for almost one year, but I have never post anything on the forums. So, hello everybody out there big_smile

#2716 2012-10-12 14:46:22

lavajoe
Website

Hello everyone!

I've played around with Arch a couple of times in the past (I even contributed a package to the AUR once), but I finally just installed it on a couple of my main machines - it was time to really get to know it better.  And I'm liking it!

#2717 2012-10-13 00:04:03

wizardskill
Website

Hello! I just started using Arch earlier this year and I have fallen in love with the mentality and philosophy of complete customization/minimalism. One of my favorite aspects of Arch is that I was forced to learn about the basic tools and config files that are needed to make the system run smoothly, and it has inspired me to spend more time acquiring knowledge. I've always been interested in computer hardware but for a while I never really spent too much time thinking about the software end of technology because the mindset that Windows forces onto it's users, so now I'm spending as much time as I can researching and discovering the endless treasure-trove of tools and languages.

I am a friendly person who has no problem showing respect to more knowledge people, and if you have any suggested materials that you believe should be learned and understood then I urge you to assist me however you see fit.

Thank you for your time.

Arch Multilib & KDE

#2718 2012-10-13 09:36:16

Sonata

Hello World

My name is Wayne and I am a noob with Arch and all other nix distros'. I dabbled with Ubuntu 10.04 when it was out, recently installed Ubuntu Pangolin, not liking it...too much glossy makeup.
Someone mentioned Archlinux, and I thought "why the heck not, I'll give it a shot" looks to be a better way to learn about linux than using Ubuntu. Its going to be tough though having used windows since 98' - I will soldier on tho... with a lot of prayer and perseverance. smile

Cheers

While most every other browser guesses what you really meant,
Opera the nerd says 'I probably *could* guess what you want, but this is what you asked for!

#2719 2012-10-14 07:06:04

parazyd
Website

Hello everyone! How are you?

I'm parazyd and I decided to use Arch smile I've been using Linux for a while now and I discovered Arch Linux. It looks awesome and I hope I'll have a good time with it. Also, the community is huge, so I'll probably get some help from you if I get stuck somewhere, right?

#2720 2012-10-15 08:26:10

cirrus
Website

Hi from rainy Scotland ,just a few lines to say hello and a wee bit about myself, im 42 yr old family guy currently unemployed scaffolder,steel erector, i been using computers since i acquired an old BBC micro back in 84/85, i was a windows user for over a decade , around 18 months back i got to the point where windows didnt challenge me mentally no more , i enjoy learning things about computers and i felt i had learned all i could with windows. Around 18 months ago i put PCLinuxOS on HDD0,0 and i was really impressed. After a few months i felt confident enough to step out of the pclos GPG wall so  next up was debian where i picked up 1 or 2 tricks like PKGBLD (tho very basic i darent edit any package unless im adding ARM to the top line)  for the rasperry pi, which too has learned me a lot about linux. Nowadays its Arch,Sabayon & Arch-ARM and i gotta say ive tried numerous distros in the short time i been using linux but nothing comes close to ARCH , the packages are always bang up to date (unlike debian) the community seem to be a bunch of like minded folk who dont suffer fools lightly.  Id just like to give kudos to the arch developers , forum mods , and IRC crew and everyone else who contributes to arch. i feel like ill be stickin with arch for long as its taught me so much and its great moulding your distro just the way YOU want it , not what some gnome-dev thinks you want.
         cheers    c{_}
          cirrus

Last edited by cirrus (2012-10-15 08:28:07)

#2721 2012-10-15 11:09:13

nil

Hello world. In the past, I've put off installing this due to constantly hearing that it's for the 'advanced user,' but I've been rather unhappy with the customization in other distros. As a result, I've kept switching them out every few weeks, when I became too frustrated to deal with their inner workings anymore. After reading the Arch Way and some pages on the glorious Arch Wiki, I look forward to what this distribution can offer.

Last edited by nil (2012-10-15 11:09:36)

#2722 2012-10-15 15:09:22

espirit
Website

Hello, Archlinux Developers, Moderators, Users and whoever is reading this!

I am a student studying Biomedical and at the same time Computer Sciences. I have used Ubuntu for 3 years now. However, due to my personal views I am abondoning Ubuntu in favor of Archlinux. At the beginning, I have installed Archlinux with Openbox as WM, but I've found it a bit "unusable" (perhaps, it is my fault: I was unsuccessful in setting up shortcuts and other "accessibility" features, like docks, transparency...). So I switched to GNOME DE, so far it is very smooth and "enough" customizable. I will look around and contribute to the project, if time allows.

Thank You

Last edited by espirit (2012-10-15 17:22:50)

-- espirit

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

#2723 2012-10-15 18:58:40

JLloyd13

espirit wrote:

Hello, Archlinux Developers, Moderators, Users and whoever is reading this!

I am a student studying Biomedical and at the same time Computer Sciences. I have used Ubuntu for 3 years now. However, due to my personal views I am abondoning Ubuntu in favor of Archlinux. At the beginning, I have installed Archlinux with Openbox as WM, but I've found it a bit "unusable" (perhaps, it is my fault: I was unsuccessful in setting up shortcuts and other "accessibility" features, like docks, transparency...). So I switched to GNOME DE, so far it is very smooth and "enough" customizable. I will look around and contribute to the project, if time allows.

Thank You

Shortcuts can be configured though ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml assuming you followed the wiki and copyed the files over. Openbox is just a WM, which could be considered the 'core' of a x gui. Thus, docks and transparenticy would have to be added via oter software (ie a-w-m and xcompos or what ever its called) basiclly chosing a plain WM like Openbox means setting stuff up your self- most archers use a standalone WM. personnlly, I use Openbox (or sometimes DWM) with few other things, no docks, transparenty, etc. just feh for the wallpaper, gtk-engines to make it look nice and tile-windows.

#2724 2012-10-16 09:26:08

anark10n

I don't know what took me so long to make the switch, but here I am. at last. the arch linux road is still a little bumby (systemd and rc.conf) but i'm managing. learning as i go. still miles better than ubuntu, considering my wireless is stable on arch, so great being here. i think i'm having an affair with the terminal while my DE watches...

#2725 2012-10-16 09:44:20

HungGarTiger

anark10n wrote:

I don't know what took me so long to make the switch, but here I am. at last. the arch linux road is still a little bumby (systemd and rc.conf) but i'm managing. learning as i go. still miles better than ubuntu, considering my wireless is stable on arch, so great being here. i think i'm having an affair with the terminal while my DE watches...

You can always use another tty if you want some privacy ;-) although Openbox is known for being a little kinky, she likes to watch

"No sympathy for the devil. If you buy the ticket, take the ride."
- Hunter S. Thompson

Board footer