You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-16 06:49:26

gwaar

Problems Configuring Brightness Keys on Asus Laptop

I recently bought a new laptop, and I've been configuring it as I go along. Most things have worked out of the box, and since it's a transfer of a old install, everything is configured how I like for the most part. BUT, a couple of the function keys that control the monitor brightness don't work. As in, don't show up in xev or xbindkeys -k or acpi_listen, and putting in "XF86Brightness{up,down}" in for the keycode in .xbindkeysrc doesn't work either.

Looking around I found a couple problems similar to mine. I tried the solution to one - adding "acpi_os_name=Linux acpi_osi=" to the kernel line in grub - and it worked. BUT, now my fan is constantly running full steam, and my volume keys don't work, and neither does two-fingered scrolling. If one exists, I'd like a solution that doesn't force me to reconfigure a whole bunch of stuff just to get working brightness keys. Thanks dudes.

The laptop is an Asus N56VM, running arch linux 64bit, EFI.

Last edited by gwaar (2012-10-16 07:01:38)

#2 2012-10-16 06:54:04

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Problems Configuring Brightness Keys on Asus Laptop

Your post omits the one piece of information that would allow someone to actually help you: the model of the laptop...

You might want to add in some specifics about the hardware as well, to save people having to search for it.

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer