You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-17 13:20:49

kajman

[SOLVED] Root partition wrongly assumed to be encrypted.

Hi,

I'm trying to install arch using newest iso image (2012.10.06) in a following manner:
gpt partition on /dev/sda1
root on btrfs on /dev/sda2
var on btrfs on /dev/sda3
home on btrfs on /dev/mapper/crypt (LUKS) on /dev/sda4,

but I have a problem after booting into freshly installed system. There's a message stating that:

ERROR: Failed to open encryption mapping: The device /dev/sda2 is not a LUKS volume and the crypto= parameter was not specified.

(actually there's uuid instead of /dev/sda2 but I've changed it for brevity)

Then after some time I get an error:

[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-mapper-crypt.device

then some "dependency failed" messages and I get welcomed to the emergency mode prompt.

I've added encrypt before filesystems to mkinitcpio hooks, and rebuild the image.

My /etc/fstab is generated by genfstab at installation and looks like this (comments ommited):

/dev/sda2     /      btrfs rw,noatime,compress=lzo,space_cache,subvol=/__active 0 0
/dev/mapper/crypt     /home      btrfs rw,noatime,compress=lzo,space_cache,subvol=/__active 0 0
/dev/sda3     /var      btrfs rw,noatime,compress=lzo,space_cache,subvol=/__active 0 0

Problem is that my / is NOT encrypted, only my home partition. But when I remove my home partition entry from fstab system boots to normal login prompt (but the error saying / is not a LUKS partition still shows up).

What am I doing wrong? I didn't alter my grub.cfg after running grub-mkconfig, and there are no entries in it stating that root is encrypted (only flags are: subvol=__active). How can I prompt the user (me) for passphrase on boot? As far as I read it should be done automatically by "encrypt" hook.

Any suggestions?

cheers,
kajman

Last edited by kajman (2012-10-18 08:45:05)

#2 2012-10-17 14:02:47

aesiris

Re: [SOLVED] Root partition wrongly assumed to be encrypted.

What are the boot parameters in grub?

You need a cryptdevice= entry if you want to unlock it from the initramfs.
For the syntax read the help of the encrypt hook:

mkinitcpio -H encrypt

If it's only for the home partition, I would unlock it from /etc/crypttab instead of the initramfs.

#3 2012-10-18 08:42:34

kajman

Re: [SOLVED] Root partition wrongly assumed to be encrypted.

Thank you very much, using crypttab and getting rid of encrypt hook worked like a charm!

cheers,
kajman

Board footer