You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-17 19:15:19

vArmand
Website

[Boot] Grub2 on MacBook 8,2

Hi,

I'm installing ArchLinux on MacBook Pro 8,2 15', I follow the guide.
But for the bootloader I saw that  Syslinux doesn't work on GPT scheme.
Saw I search on google and it seems that for Mac I need to install grub-efi-x86_64 but I don't really know what to do.
I have rEFIt installed

/dev/sda4 -> /boot
/dev/sda5 -> swap
/dev/sda6 -> /

Thanks for your help,

Armand

Sorry for my english, I'm french wink

#2 2012-10-17 21:48:57

WonderWoofy

Re: [Boot] Grub2 on MacBook 8,2

Who told you that syslinux does not work with gpt?  It surely does, as I am using it right now.  I am not sure about the mac with its stoopid crazy hybrid MBR.  But basically, all syslinux requires is the use of the legacy boot flag.  GPT has kept this around for intances like this.

That said, you will probably get faster booting if you do use some kind of UEFI bootloader.  This is because the mac does not have to switch from its odd implementation of efi to its bios compatibility mode. 

I also see this is your first post.  Welcome to the forums.  Around here, it is usually best to check the wiki before coming here and asking for help.  A little bit of understanding will usually yield a bit more help from the regulars around here.  Our wiki has been created by our community and is second to none.  It is really one of the greatest linux resources that I have ever come across.  So it would be beneficial for you and our forums here, that you check it first.

Since you have a mac, I will mention that you need to make sure that you take note of any special mac instructions that may be on the wiki.  Mac's have a strange mix of EFI 1.0 and 2.0 with some proprietary Apple craziness mixed in for good measure.  For instance, on a normal UEFI system, one would use efibootmgr to create boot manager entries, but on a Mac, this will brick your firmware.

So go do some more research, and come back if you have specific questions. 

Good luck!

#3 2012-10-18 20:01:34

vArmand
Website

Re: [Boot] Grub2 on MacBook 8,2

Ok I'm back I follow the base installation wiki, and for the bootloader I follow the wiki of Syslinux (part adapted for GPT scheme).
So I did this :

# pacman /mnt syslinux

installation stuff (fstab, local, ...)
.... and finaly the bootloader installation :

# sgdisk /dev/sda --attributes=1:set:2
# sgdisk /dev/sda --attributes=1:show
1:2:1 (legacy BIOS bootable)
# dd bs=440 conv=notrunc count=1 if=/usr/lib/syslinux/gptmbr.bin of=/dev/sda
# syslinux-install_update -iam

and for "syslinux-install_update -iam" I get :

syslinux install successful
FAILED to set attribute Legacy BIOS Bootable on /dev/sda3