You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-20 22:06:30

todcarnes

[Solved] Forcing An Uninstall

Hi,

My name is Todd and I am new to Arch Linux. I like what I've seen so far, but I have a question.

Currently, Arch Linux is using Boost 1.50.0. It is out of date and does not include all the features of version 1.51.0. I have downloaded, built & installed the latest version of the Boost libraries, but when I try to uninstall the old libraries pacman refuses because other packages list them as required (in particular LibreOffice). (The old versions are in /usr/lib while the newer version that I built myself live in /usr/local/lib)

Since I know I have another, updated version of the libraries installed, I wonder if there is anyway to force the old libraries to be uninstalled and to let pacman know about the newer version?

I know I could just go in and redirect all the simlinks to the newer versions of the libraries, but that would be a LOT of work.

Todd

Last edited by todcarnes (2012-10-21 00:00:11)

#2 2012-10-20 22:09:07

karol
Archivist

Re: [Solved] Forcing An Uninstall

You should use PKGBUILD to build packages for Arch. Bare 'make && make install' won't help you here.
Yes, it's possible to force removal of a package, read 'man pacman'.

#3 2012-10-20 22:12:43

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Did you do this by hand or via a PKGBUILD?  Compiling and more importantly installing to the FS by hand is discouraged on Arch.  Pacman is your friend.  My recommendation is for you to either wait for the official boost/bootlibs packages to get updated, or to build them yourself via ABS if you haven't done that already (see the wiki on ABS).  You will need to modify the out-of-date PKGBUILD files for them obviously.

Does LibreOffice have a boost version requirement?

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2012-10-20 22:23:05

todcarnes

I built them by hand according to the directions at boost.org... Apparently not good on Arch. I did so because I wanted to write a program that uses some of Boost's newer features. I can program and link to the versions in /usr/local/lib, but I thought it would be better not to have two versions floating around on my system (even if they are in different directories).

As for modifying the PKGBUILD for them. That was my first instinct, but I couldn't figure out how to even look at it. Unlike in AUR, there didn't seem to be an obvious way (to me) to download and/or look at the PKGBUILD.

Thanks for the advice regarding reading man pacman & the wiki entry for ABS. I'm am following said advice now.

Todd

#5 2012-10-20 22:25:57

karol
Archivist

todcarnes wrote:

As for modifying the PKGBUILD for them. That was my first instinct, but I couldn't figure out how to even look at it. Unlike in AUR, there didn't seem to be an obvious way (to me) to download and/or look at the PKGBUILD.

There's ABS.

#6 2012-10-20 22:29:52

todcarnes

Oh, I  forgot to answer the LibreOffice question. It's a round-about sort of dependency. LibreOffice depends on clucene, in turn, clucene then depends on boost-libs. clucene doesn't seem to specify a particular version though.

#7 2012-10-20 22:32:55

todcarnes

karol wrote:

You should use PKGBUILD to build packages for Arch. Bare 'make && make install' won't help you here.

Actually, building Boost is a bit more involved than that.

#8 2012-10-20 22:35:57

karol
Archivist

todcarnes wrote:
karol wrote:

:-)
I meant that if you don't use a PKGBUILD, pacman won't know about your /usr/local/lib stuff. This is not an Arch package and therefore cannot satisfy the needed dependencies.

#9 2012-10-20 22:38:06

todcarnes

karol wrote:
todcarnes wrote:
karol wrote:

:-)
I meant that if you don't use a PKGBUILD, pacman won't know about your /usr/local/lib stuff. This is not an Arch package and therefore cannot satisfy the needed dependencies.

Ok, I'm sorry. I misunderstood you.

I'm reading the wiki entry on ABS and I think I see that this is what I needed... I just haven't finished reading it yet. smile

#10 2012-10-20 23:26:24

todcarnes

I am rebuilding Boost 1.51.0 the Arch way (i.e. with ABS). While I'm waiting for the build to complete (It takes a while.), I would like to ask one more question... well... two more questions.

1. Once I've built my new package and used pacman -u to install it, will the old libraries, header files, etc. be automatically replaced?

2. Once I've verified that everything did indeed work correctly, is there a way for me to submit the updated PKGBUILD and/or *.pkg.tar.xz file for everyone else to use?

#11 2012-10-20 23:37:57

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

1. Yes.
2. No need since these is an officially maintained PKGBUILD.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#12 2012-10-20 23:43:12

todcarnes

Thanks for the help guys. smile

#13 2012-10-20 23:54:06

Stebalien
Website

todcarnes wrote:

2. Once I've verified that everything did indeed work correctly, is there a way for me to submit the updated PKGBUILD and/or *.pkg.tar.xz file for everyone else to use?

Usually, you find the package at packages.archlinux.org and flag it out of date. However, in this case, the package has already been flagged out of date. The update could take a while as it might require a rebuild of packages that depend on it and the new version may be somewhat incompatible with the old version.

Also, please mark this thread as solved (prepend [Solved] to the title by editing the first post).

Last edited by Stebalien (2012-10-20 23:55:21)

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

Board footer