You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-21 16:24:18

ArchBackOfNotreDame

[SOLVED]Sudo installation upon initial install

For whatever reason, I cannot install sudo. Not a necessary tool, but one I would like to have. I've consulted the beginners guide and sudo article on the archwiki and  but to no avail.  I have every repository enabled.  Just to make sure, I commented out all but one repository near my locale, and it still will not install. I am attempting to install Arch on VirtualBox VM before I do so on my hdd just to make sure I understand everything, yet this issue perplexes me. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by ArchBackOfNotreDame (2012-10-22 03:20:27)

#2 2012-10-21 16:25:54

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED]Sudo installation upon initial install

Any details? Post the exact command and the output.

#3 2012-10-21 16:55:28

DSpider

Welcome to the forum.

# pacman -S sudo

See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sudo#Installation

Edit: Come to think of it, this is the first thing you do from the Extra section after rebooting. You may have skipped configuring the network.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … he_network

You need to configure the network again, but this time for your newly installed environment. The procedure and prerequisites are very similar to the one described above, except we are going to make it persistent and automatically run at boot.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-10-21 16:57:30)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-10-21 21:19:26

ArchBackOfNotreDame

Oops I forgot to post the command and response. Sorry, I was in a bit of a rush this morning. I used

# pacman -S sudo

and ended up getting (after I commented out all but one repository):

error: failed retrieving file 'sudo-1.8.6.p3-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.cicku.me : could not resolve host: mirrors.cick.me; Unknown error
warning: failed to retrieve some files from core
error: failed to commit transaction (download library error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I believe it may be the network as Dspider suggested. I looked through the beginners guide and ended up using this video for the most part so I would have some sort of a visual representation of what to do for my first install attempt. I did everything in the same order as the guy in the video but I have the error for some reason. Anyways, here's the video I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozjwvGYhhvM

#5 2012-10-21 21:27:12

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Without having watched the video, I can say that this is always a bad idea. Follow the Beginners' Guide if you want to install Arch.

Also, try using Rank Mirrors or another tool to generate your mirror list.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2012-10-21 21:31:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

And be sure you have done "pacman -Syu" first, or at the very least "pacman -Sy".

Edit: my comment is probably not relevant if you made it up to this point of the install already - I assume you successfully installed other things like a bootloader.  I suspect this is a networking issue.  Can you ping the mirrors?

Last edited by Trilby (2012-10-21 21:33:49)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2012-10-22 02:36:16

ArchBackOfNotreDame

I configured the network and everything is installing fine now. Thank you guys! Sorry for the hassle of my unfamiliarity with linux as a whole. I'll follow the Beginners Guide more closely in the future.

#8 2012-10-22 02:59:03

karol
Archivist

Glad you figured it out, please remember to mark the thread as solved.

Board footer