You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-22 17:51:51

AsmundEr

[Error in news] Please update news 2012-07-14 "/lib becomes symlink"

Hi,

Could someone please update the news article on the front page from 2012-07-14 regarding "The /lib directory becomes a symlink"? The instructions in it are no longer accurate, and following them results in a broken system.

If you can add the following lines from the DeveloperWiki, it would be perfect:

Note: for installs that have not been updated to glibc-2.16, it will save you lots of time and prevent major breakage to do:
   pacman -U http://pkgbuild.com/~allan/glibc-2.16.0 … pkg.tar.xz
where <arch> is replaced by i686 or x86_64 as required. Add a single "-d" if needed. Then proceed with
*** INSTRUCTIONS THAT ALREADY ARE IN THE NEWS ***

(Yes, I know I should keep my system up to date, but I have servers that I only upgrade every once in a while. Following the instructions in the news usually works, but not in this case.)

AsmundEr

#2 2012-10-22 18:02:21

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Re: [Error in news] Please update news 2012-07-14 "/lib becomes symlink"

It's not really an "error" -- the news item does clearly point to the wiki topic.

And if you "know you should keep your system up to date" why do you have "servers that you only upgrade once in a while" ? Seriously, that news item is from July.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#3 2012-10-23 08:12:33

AsmundEr

Yes, the news points to the wiki. But when you read the news, it says "Do this. If that didn't work, read the wiki". Doing "this" will not work. It should say "First, do this pacman -U $newglibc, then do this, and if that didn't work, read the wiki". Or, perhaps, "First, read the wiki. Then...". Either would be better than what it says now.

So when I have a server stuffed in a closet that I can ssh into, whose only purpose is to serve some webpages, tunnel some traffic, and execute some cronjobs, is it unreasonable that I only update it every 3-4 months?

#4 2012-10-23 08:16:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

On such a server, assuming you don't want to be following Arch developments like a hawk, another distribution would serve you better. Arch is not some sort of 'best for everything' distro, the devs WILL willingly break things if there's a reason to, and in a period like the past year or so with so many changes mainly influenced by upstream, anyone who lags more than half a year behind is going to be caught in the 'special zone' of having to deal with more than one major change at once.

You CAN do that. You just need to know more about it than you would if you were updating every week (Allan says he uses Arch on his servers, but then again he knows what's happening in Arch, of course).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2012-10-23 08:43:59

AsmundEr

I understand this fully, and I don't want to start a discussion about the pros and cons of Arch being rolling-release. I know that there can be problems when I update infrequently, and I solved the problem with information from the forums and developer-wiki.

My only request was that someone could add three lines to the news item, so that anyone else updating infrequently would not have this problem. If no-one can be bothered to update the news item, then consider this thread closed (and no hard feelings smile .

#6 2012-10-23 09:59:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Fair enough, then. Well, as far as I know the people in charge of the news hardly read the forums smile. You'd have better luck posting to [arch-general].

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2012-10-23 11:15:57

Allan
Pacman
Website

It did not get changed 1 month later when curl was needed to be added to the --ignore list, so I doubt it is going to be changed now.

I recommend in the future you watch the news feed and do an update soon after you see an issue like this.

Board footer