You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-23 11:05:05

the_eye

[solved] error on upgrading any perl- (cpan) AUR package

with any perl- package I try to upgrade via AUR right now, I run into the same error, namely:

Can't locate object method "add_string_requirement" via package "CPAN::Meta::Requirements" at /usr/share/perl5/core_perl/CPAN/Meta/Converter.pm line 358.
at /usr/share/perl5/core_perl/ExtUtils/MM_Any.pm line 824.
Can't locate object method "add_string_requirement" via package "CPAN::Meta::Requirements" at /usr/share/perl5/core_perl/CPAN/Meta/Converter.pm line 358.
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...

somebody already asked me (on the AUR page for perl-www-shorten)
"Check if you have /usr/share/perl5/site_perl directory with old version of CPANPlus or MakeMaker packages, which can interfere with default ones during build. "

any my answer to that
"the only thing in site_perl is File/MMagic.pm
I've also checked whether there are other "cpanplus" or "makemaker" related files on my system but there aren't. The only ones that are there are owned by the perl package itself, according to pacman -Qo."

So does anyone have any hints?

Last edited by the_eye (2012-12-17 22:53:48)

#2 2012-10-23 11:11:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [solved] error on upgrading any perl- (cpan) AUR package

Can you give an example of some of these AUR packages that fail for you?  Preferably ones with a minimum of dependencies so others could try to replicate your problem.

Also, please put commands and output in code tags

like these

Prior to testing the first thought off the top of my head is whether you are up-to-date; then was your last `pacman -Syu`?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-10-23 11:17:32

the_eye

a) re the up-to-date-ness "a few minutes ago". Note that pacman -Syu more or less runs every day on this system, but this aur/perl problem has been occuring since sometime in August, I think (but at the time I didn't really have the time to investigate).

b) sorry re the code tags

c) packages for which this currently happens for me are
perl-class-load-xs-0.06-1
perl-email-sender-0.120002-1
perl-gnupg-interface-0.45-1
perl-net-twitter-3.18004-1
perl-www-shorten-3.03-1

#4 2012-10-23 11:32:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

On some first tests perl-www-shorten failed for me also, but with different errors.  Perl-class-load-xs worked fine, so the  error with perl-www-shorten is probably unique to me.  You do get similar error messages from all of them right?  I didn't try any others as they have a long series of dependencies that I don't currently have.

I don't have anything in /usr/share/perl5/site_perl directory.  That could well be because I don't use perl much, and just installed a lot of the packages for testing these AUR builds, but could your MMagic.pm be the MakeMaker the other forum was talking about (MakeMaker -> MM)?  (Warning, this is an almost random guess:) have you tried moving/renaming the MMagic.pm?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2012-10-23 12:09:04

the_eye

I get the exact same error message from all of them. I _presume_ it is because there is some leftover non-package file somewhere in my system, but ..

/usr/share/perl5/site_perl is now empty, makes no difference, same error.

#6 2012-12-17 22:53:16

the_eye

in order to prevent another occurence of http://xkcd.com/979/ I'd like to mention that I found what caused the problem.

In one of the vendor_perl directories, namely /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/CPAN/Meta I had a Requirements.pm that conflicted with the one in core_perl.

the one in core_perl was new(ish) and belonged to the perl package itself.

The one in vendor_perl belonged to perl-cpan-meta version 2.113640-1 from AUR.

Runs of pacman -Syu and aurget -Su didn't catch this problem (i.e. that an AUR package that was installed was providing the same functionality that perl did now provide as well.

Removing perl-cpan-meta cleared up all those problems.

Board footer