You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-23 17:21:22

lVathan

libc.so.6 GLIBC_2.16 not found after attempting to upgrade pacman

Ok so I followed the thread (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=95007&p=1) as best I could and ended with this error:

/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.16' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)

The script I used is:

GNU nano 2.2.6                                  File: PacmanFix                                                                            

#!/bin/bash

arch=x86_64
mirror=ftp://mirror.rit.edu/archlinux

# link to cache (or download) and extract: openssl,libarchive,libfetch,pacman
cd /tmp
for pkg in openssl-1.0.1.c-1 libarchive-3.0.4-2 pacman-4.0.3-3; do
    pkgname=${pkg}-${arch}.pkg.tar.xz
    if [[ -e /var/cache/pacman/pkg/${pkgname} ]]; then
        ln -sf /var/cache/pacman/pkg/${pkgname} .
    else
        wget ${mirror}/core/os/${arch}/${pkgname} || exit 1
    fi
    sudo tar -xvpf ${pkgname} -C / --exclude .PKGINFO --exclude .INSTALL || exit 1
done

for pkg in curl-7.28.0-1; do
    pkgname=${pkg}-${arch}.pkg.tar.xz
    if [[ -e /var/cache/pacman/pkg/${pkgname} ]]; then
        ln -sf /var/cache/pacman/pkg/${pkgname} .
    else
        wget http://arm.konnichi.com/2012/07/26/pool/packages/curl-7.26.0-1-${arch}.pkg.tar.xz || exit 1
    fi
    sudo tar -xvpf ${pkgname} -C / --exclude .PKGINFO --exclude .INSTALL || exit 1
done

# now reinstall using pacman to update the local pacman db
sudo pacman -Sf openssl libarchive libfetch pacman || exit 1

# now update your system
sudo pacman -Syu

I have found this thread on the problem but so far I have had no luck resolving the issues

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … iki:usrlib

I have attempted to use the current version of curl, and curl7.26.0-1

also the pacman -Syu --ignore glibc,curl has not worked.

I am fairly new to Arch linux but am reasonably competent with computers. I have unfortunately inherited the computer and would really like to get it working again.

Thanks for the help!

#2 2012-10-23 17:28:27

masteryod

Re: libc.so.6 GLIBC_2.16 not found after attempting to upgrade pacman

Walk us through. When and how did you install Arch and when was the last time you did upgrade? I've got hard time to understand you haven't done upgrade since july.

PS What was your previous distro? (I don't want to brag, just tell you some differences between Arch and other "easy" distros)

Last edited by masteryod (2012-10-23 17:30:22)

#3 2012-10-23 17:37:56

lVathan

masteryod wrote:

Walk us through. When and how did you install Arch and when was the last time you did upgrade? I've got hard time to understand you haven't done upgrade since july.

PS What was your previous distro? (I don't want to brag, just tell you some differences between Arch and other "easy" distros)

Ok as I said i unfortunately inherited the computer, so I was not the one to go through the install of Arch.

I have been using the computer without upgrading, but I would really like to get the computer working properly.

The last upgrade was probably performed around a year ago. Please let me know any other specific information that would be useful.

#4 2012-10-23 19:12:38

masteryod

Under this circumstances I suggest to do a fresh installation. You don't know how system was maintained before you and in what shape it actually is. In case of any hiccups you won't be able to tell what's the source of trouble. Also for the past year there was a lot of changes in Arch so it will be easier to start from scratch.

If you're not familiar with Arch I suggest to do a trial run on virtual machine (VirtualBox for example is easy, free, open source and cross platform).

You've said you're "reasonably competent with computers" - is this mean you know your way around Linux and basics of CLI? If this is your first Linux I suggest to start with something else (like Mint, Ubuntu, maybe Debian, Fedora, etc) and learn Arch from within VM.

Last edited by masteryod (2012-10-23 19:15:28)

Board footer