You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-01 17:34:41

deficite

Recommended dependencies

Just throwing an idea out here, but what do you think about having "recommended" dependencies that aren't automatically selected, but instead pacman makes a list of the recommended dependencies you don't have and says something like "These packages are recommended, install?" and you have the choice of not installing them if you don't want them.

#2 2005-10-01 21:13:11

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Recommended dependencies

It's currently being handled by the .install file.  Some package post a post installation message saying "If you want support for feature X: pacman -S foolib". Maybe you want something more advanced, perhaps.  The problem is that some apps when compiled with an --enable-feature switch need to have the lib on the system otherwise, they don't work, example: amarok with the mysql feature. It was solved by having two packages but it increases dev workload/complexity. :?

#3 2005-10-08 04:01:57

deficite

The only problem I have with .install files printing stuff like that is when I install a group, say gnome. If I'm install on one of the virtual terminals, the message scrolls by and if I'm not looking I'd never even know it was displayed.

Oh, the joy if optional dependencies could be fullfilled without recompiling. I guess ABS will have to do the trick for now. I can't really think of any way to do it without splitting the packages up like amarok.

#4 2005-10-08 08:58:02

ivi3

I think it would be a good idea. Especially for packages like k3b which have deps like arts which isn't really essential for k3b.

greetings
Mathias

#5 2005-10-11 23:16:03

jftaylor21

deficite wrote:

The only problem I have with .install files printing stuff like that is when I install a group, say gnome. If I'm install on one of the virtual terminals, the message scrolls by and if I'm not looking I'd never even know it was displayed.

It would be nice if pacman could somehow wait until it is done installing all the packages to display the messages. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about that. I remember this was especially annoying when I used gentoo and all the compilation messages would fly by along with the installation messages. I would have to sit in front of the computer and try to read really fast whenever I installed anything.

Board footer