You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-24 02:51:45

99Percent

[solved] No graphical USB Keyboard or mouse after switching to systemd

After latest -Syu upgrade this morning I no longer have keyboard or mouse.

The xfce4 login is displayed but of course I cannot input anything.

I believe this is due to systemd upgrade but have no idea what broke. I have checked the log files and I don't find anything amiss. I have tried unplugging the USB keyboard and mouse to different ports to no avail.

The keyboard works if I try to edit kernel boot options.

Please help me troubleshoot.

Last edited by 99Percent (2012-10-25 18:05:47)

#2 2012-10-24 18:07:32

aviynw

Re: [solved] No graphical USB Keyboard or mouse after switching to systemd

I had the same problem recently.  I hadn't nailed it down to systemd however, though it was one of the suspicious packages I downgraded.  I think it was actually the upgrade from libusb to libusbx that caused the issue.  If I remember correctly, I had everything upgraded a week and a half ago except libusb and it was working.  Though I have been having problems with all my usb ports for a while.  In windows sometimes I would have to unplug and re-plug my usb devices for them to work, and among other things, and all signs suggested my usb ports were on the fritz.  So I bought a usb hub to plug into my motherboard and plugged everything into that instead.  I've since done a total upgrade with everything plugged in there and it works. 

The weird thing though is if I plug everything back into my motherboard's usb ports they work there now too, well, at least more than before.  Now I'll be able to use my keyboard, except randomly the up and left key will stop working.  Usually unplugging it and re-plugging it fixes the issue.  There hasn't been another upgrade to libusbx in the time since I've been using the hub, so maybe that's not the problem.  There was another update to systemd in that time, so maybe it was systemd causing the problem all along.  I thought it was libusbx causing the problem but I forget how diligently I did my tests to conclude that.

Since it seems to be part hardware issue and part software issue, and the hardware issues I've been having seem to be inconsistent, it could just be a coincidence that the motherboard's usb ports are working more than before after my last upgrade.

Anyways, I don't know how helpful this is, but I hope it helps a bit.  If you have a ps/2 keyboard I would try plugging that in and seeing if it works (I didn't have one).  At least then you can then troubleshoot the usb ports while the you are having the problem.  Unfortunately I wouldn't really know how to troubleshoot it.

#3 2012-10-25 13:21:20

epinephrine

EDIT: hadn't /boot mounted while upgrading the kmod and linux packages, woops
I have the same (or similar) problem since yesterday's update (the penultimate update was only 4 days ago or so). Upon entering gnome (my gdm automatically logs me in) I can't use my usb keyboard or mouse. Now comes the first bug: I appended

systemd.unit=rescue.target

to my boot parameters, which got just ignored, without giving an error of an unknown boot parameter my system booted into the graphical mode nevertheless. I gotta file another bug report for this one...

I booted up my rescue system with which I installed Arch Linux on this machine two weeks ago and arch-chrooted into my installation. Then I saw that there is a /etc/shadow.pacnew file. It has a new uuidd entry which I merged into my /etc/shadow. Well it still didn't work. Then I saw that there is a uuidd.service and .socket, which I enabled with systemctl since they were disabled. Still no luck. Ok now it becomes interesing: I linked the default.target to default.multi-user (it doesn't contain the graphical services), since giving boot parameters gets ignored... My system boots up into the console login and, what?, I can't even use my usb keyboard or mouse in the tty console. No graphics here.

That means this is a bug in udev, I suppose, since the usb input devices are not available to the system at all after a certain point in the boot procedure sad
There is nothing in Linux that gave me more headaches so far then udev...

EDIT: I think I should add that, as the Arch Linux system I am talking about here is only two weeks old, it is a pure systemd system from the beginning. That means this really has something to do with the very recent updates in the core packages.

Last edited by epinephrine (2012-10-25 15:11:19)

#4 2012-10-25 14:43:18

99Percent

I tried connecting a ps2 keyboard and I still cannot use it!

I remember I never had the keyboard when I booted directly to the console even before the switch to systemd, so perhaps before gdm or x11 somehow activated the keyboard and mouse directly and now it no longer can.

#5 2012-10-25 15:02:12

epinephrine

woops, fixed it. I have /boot on a different partition, which wasn't mounted while upgrading kmod and linux. chrooting into the system and reinstalling the packages WHILE /boot is mounted fixed it... Poker face

Last edited by epinephrine (2012-10-25 15:08:21)

#6 2012-10-25 15:18:38

99Percent

epinephrine, so what actually did fix your keyboard issue? I definitely confirm I my keyboard doesn't work when I boot with runlevel 1 either, so its not a xorg issue.

#7 2012-10-25 16:23:22

epinephrine

As I said, running pacman -S kmod linux while /boot is mounted (which in my system is not default, as I have a separate /boot partition with the noauto option set in fstab). Yesterday's update upgraded the following versions for me:

kmod 10-1 -> 10-2
linux 3.6.2-1 -> 2.6.3-1

when these packages upgrade without /boot being mounted, the new kernel and initramfs cannot be installed properly because it moves the files initramfs-linux-fallback.img, initramfs-linux.img and vmlinuz-linux to /boot for installation (I use grub). But only a fool like me can forget to mount /boot while upgrading these packages so I guess this doesn't solve the problem for you guys.

#8 2012-10-25 18:05:02

99Percent

thanks epinephrine, that pacman command fixed it. I wonder why it didnt fix it on the previous upgrade.

Don't feel to bad about missing the /boot mount after arch-chroot I also made this mistake while trying to fix the moving of /lib to /usr/lib issue. Perhaps arch-chroot should prompt to do so?

#9 2012-10-25 18:20:19

epinephrine

I forgot to mount /boot during the normal upgrade yesterday, it was today when I had to chroot into my system to fix it wink
I found out about my mistake because I took a closer look at /var/log/pacman.log which says during the kmod installation process

WARNING: /boot appears to be a separate partition but is not mounted.

I think the install process of kmod and linux (and other packages that need /boot mounted, not sure about linux) should stop when they find out that /boot lies on a different partition and isn't mounted (like with an interactive question: /boot appears to be a separate partition but is not mounted. Continue anyway?) rather than just emitting a Warning.
Here another enhancement request comes into my mind... At the end of each pacman run (I actually use yaourt, but still) it should display a list of all shown warnings and other non-standard messages that were displayed during the installation, that otherwise would go missing if you don't scroll all the way up. In the case of yesterday, one of the last things that got upgraded was an AUR packet which got compiled, so it was guaranteed that I miss the warning by kmod, since compilations spam the scroll buffer... It's something that was also bugging me back in my Gentoo days wink

Board footer