You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-25 06:18:44

kreoso

Arch on USB

I installed arch on USB, but there is a problem when boot.

Everytime I boot with this USB, it complaints that there is no device with such UUID. But then, when I plug-out and plug-in the USB physically, it is recognized and continues to boot.

What can be done to this problem? I have just followed the installation guide "Installing Arch Linux on a USB key"

Last edited by kreoso (2012-10-25 06:23:34)

#2 2012-10-25 09:36:47

DSpider

Re: Arch on USB

Is this the error?

Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/something-something ...
ERROR: Unable to find root device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/something-something'.
You are being dropped to a recovery shell
    Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs /]# _

Then you need to start it with the Fallback entry. When it boots, make sure that you have usb on the HOOKS line from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, and then re-generate the initramfs image with "mkinitcpio -p linux".

For reference: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … nvironment

Here you need to set the right hooks if the root is on a USB drive, if you use RAID, LVM, or if /usr is on a separate partition.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-10-25 10:05:51

kreoso

Error message is correct, but the "mkinitcpio thing" is already done. I put 'usb' between udev and autodetect in the HOOKS in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and excuted mkinitcpio -p linux.

#4 2012-10-25 11:56:00

DSpider

Then check your fstab.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2012-10-25 18:08:15

kreoso

Yaeh, I did check again, but I think, there is no problem at all.

It produces the error messages and prompt the rootfs shell, but when I physically 'plug out and plug in' the USB, then it is recognized normally and continues to boot without a problem. If the problem is all about mkinitcpio and fstab, then maybe it is a hardware problem.

thank you for the answer

Board footer