Nvidia MCP61 Ethernet card, according to lscpi -v
and no associated "Kernel" modules.
The necessary Ethernet driver for that Nvidia card is forcedeth
however

# modprobe forcedeth
FATAL: Module forcedeth not found.

but if I perform a systemwide find..
I get

/usr/lib/modules/3.6.2-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/nvidia/forcedeth.ko.gz

but according to 'man modprobe' the modprobe program looks in the /lib/modules/'uname -r' directory
and when I run

# uname -r
3.5.6-1-ARCH

I can cleary see why modprobe didn't work since according to the previous "find" there is no "forcedeth" in that directory.
so I tried

# modprobe -S 3.6.2-1-ARCH
Error: missing parameters. See -h.

to tell modprobe to search in that directory instead, but despite different variations I couldn't change the version sucessfully.
So instead I tried copying the "forcedeth.ko.gz" to the /lib/modules/3.5.6-1-ARCH directory
and I still haven't been able to "modprobe" it, even with full pathname and force option provided.

So, in summation, I had the driver in the wrong directory according to 'uname -r' and thus I couldn't
load it. I tried to manually give modprobe a different kernel version, without sucess, and have tried
copying forcedeth.ko.gz to the directory which corresponded to /lib/modules/'uname -r'.
I guess I need to either

- upgrade the kernel without an internet connection?
- sucessfully modprobe forcedeth despite the kernel version conflict?
- maybe throw a symbolic link somewhere?
- give an explicit option  to define a full path in a config file?
- do something with mkinitcpio that can specify that module and boot into that ramdisk?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, since I don't know how else to load the module.
If any other info on my system might give a lead, I'd be more than happy to provide it. Thanks. I'm almost there...

Last edited by confusion-is-my-sedative (2012-10-26 21:26:06)

Neither Socrates nor Jesus ever wrote a single thing, and it might be that their fame was extended by the relativism this provided.

#2 2012-10-26 08:11:27

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Can't load this module??

What kernel is your bootloader loading? If it's not the standard name, it probably wasn't replaced by the upgrade and you're booting an old kernel.

Last edited by Scimmia (2012-10-26 08:14:32)

#3 2012-10-26 08:23:46

tomk
Forum Fellow

Ehmm... you upgraded the kernel, but you didn't reboot. So reboot.

#4 2012-10-26 10:48:45

confusion-is-my-sedative

Scimmia wrote:

What kernel is your bootloader loading? If it's not the standard name, it probably wasn't replaced by the upgrade and you're booting an old kernel.

# uname -r
3.5.6-1-ARCH

My guess is that I am booting an older kernel. I ran the above command after logging in, and am booting from the default /boot/vmlinuz-linux image. I haven't made any custom images, and an

# ls -la /boot/vmlinuz-linux
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3481792 Oct 12 18:01 /boot/vmlinuz-linux

indicates that it was the one I upgraded on my last pacman -Syu. So I don't know why the kernel didn't upgrade if it was necessary for modprobe.

@ tomk
I've tried

# reboot

several times to no avail. I've also tried to "force" load the module with insmod since according to google it works with full path names and its less system-comprehensive than modprobe. Despite this, I still haven't been able to load the module. Does anyone know any alternate ways to "force" load it?

Neither Socrates nor Jesus ever wrote a single thing, and it might be that their fame was extended by the relativism this provided.

#5 2012-10-26 10:51:42

Scimmia
Fellow

Do a "file vmlinuz-linux" on that image, see what version it is.

What bootloader are you using? It's getting an older kernel from somewhere. Post up the config file.

Last edited by Scimmia (2012-10-26 10:53:36)

#6 2012-10-26 11:05:49

tomk
Forum Fellow

Forget about the module for now, fix the fundamental problem. You have the 3.5.6 kernel with the 3.6.2 modules - nothing is going to work until you sort that out.

Do you have a separate boot partition? Are you sure it was mounted when pacman installed the kernel upgrade?

#7 2012-10-26 11:22:57

confusion-is-my-sedative

ok, did and done. (However, note that this isn't raw code since I have to type from display of the monitor to the laptop.)

# file /boot/vmlinuz-linux
/boot/vmlinuz-linux: Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage, version 3.6.2-1-ARCH (tobias@T=POWA-LX) #1 SMP PREMPT Fri Oct 12 23:58, RO-rootFS, swap_dev 0x3, Normal VGA

According to file, I do have the latest kernel, which makes this even more peculiar since it isn't consistent with 'uname -r'

3.5.6-1-ARCH

and I'm using grub legacy, I think.

# cat /boot/grub/menu.1st
timeout 5
default 0
color light-blue/black light-cyan/blue
#  BOOT SECTION
#
#
#-*
# (0) Arch Linux
title Arch Linux
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx ro modeset=0
initrd /boot/initramfs-fallback.img

# (1) Arch Linux
title Arch Linux Fallback
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx ro
initrd /boot/initramfs-fallback.img

I didn't post the whole config since transcribing comments with mode suggestions would be needless. But I don't think there's any danger in ommitting the '#' lines, is there?

#8 2012-10-26 11:30:30

Scimmia
Fellow

is root (hd0,2) correct? with Grub legacy, that would be the third partition on the first hard drive; ie sda3.

Last edited by Scimmia (2012-10-26 11:31:38)

#9 2012-10-26 11:55:26

confusion-is-my-sedative

Scimmia wrote:

is root (hd0,2) correct? with Grub legacy, that would be the third partition on the first hard drive; ie sda3.

Yes, /dev/sda3 is root, /dev/sda4 is home.
By the way, any ideas on the discrepancy of 'uname -r' and 'file /boot/vmlinuz-linux' ?

Last edited by confusion-is-my-sedative (2012-10-26 11:57:29)

#10 2012-10-26 11:59:38

Scimmia
Fellow

confusion-is-my-sedative wrote:

By the way, any ideas on the discrepancy of 'uname -r' and 'file /boot/vmlinuz-linux' ?

Yeah, it's loading an old image from somewhere. Do you have a separate boot partition or anything? If you're using Grub2, (hd0,2) would be sda2 instead, any chance there's an image there?

#11 2012-10-26 12:14:42

confusion-is-my-sedative

tomk wrote:

Forget about the module for now, fix the fundamental problem. You have the 3.5.6 kernel with the 3.6.2 modules - nothing is going to work until you sort that out.

Do you have a separate boot partition? Are you sure it was mounted when pacman installed the kernel upgrade?

I'm pretty sure, and yes, the boot partition is separate
/dev/sda1  --> boot
/dev/sda2 --> swap
/dev/sda3 --> root /
/dev/sda4 --> /home/

and btw, the kernel I'm booting into is the 3.2.6 one, (assuming 'file /boot/vmlinuz-linux' is more reliable than 'uname -r')

#12 2012-10-26 12:24:03

Scimmia
Fellow

OK, if boot is (hd0,0), why do you have it looking at (hd0,2)? I would mount sda3 from a live disk and see if there's anything in /boot, such as an old kernel image.

#13 2012-10-26 12:37:08

confusion-is-my-sedative

Scimmia wrote:

Do you have a separate boot partition or anything? If you're using Grub2, (hd0,2) would be sda2 instead, any chance there's an image there?

It's definitely not grub2, since the grub2 config file isn't menu.1st.
The boot partition /dev/sda1 is mounted on /boot/ and an

# ls /boot/ | sort
grub 
initramfs-linux-fallback.img 
initramfs-linux-lts-fallback.img
initramfs-linux-lts.img
initramfs-linux.img
lost+found
vmlinuz-linux 
vmlinuz-linux-lts

gives me the contents. But I don't see any lead there.

The system is booting just fine, so I don't think bootloader configuration has anything to do with it. My guess is that I might require a new image, with the modules properly loaded, and 'uname -r' acting smoothly. I first thought the issues was systemd
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=150891 but its really obvious that not having my eth0 device there is the actual problem.

#14 2012-10-26 12:40:54

Scimmia
Fellow

No, confusion, you're not getting it. root (hd0,2) means that you're loading grub and the kernel image from sda3 instead of sda1. You need to either stop mounting sda1, or clear out /boot on sda3 and reconfigure your bootloader to use sda1.

Forget the live disk for now, just comment the line in fstab where it's mounting /boot then reboot. I bet you'll find the old kernel.

Last edited by Scimmia (2012-10-26 12:42:12)

#15 2012-10-26 12:51:21

confusion-is-my-sedative

Scimmia wrote:

OK, if boot is (hd0,0), why do you have it looking at (hd0,2)? I would mount sda3 from a live disk and see if there's anything in /boot, such as an old kernel image.

I don't really know. I had to rescue the system from an accidental command that rendered it unusable and reinstall grub about a month ago. So the grub.1st was a writeup using the same file on my netbook as a base (since they have the hard disk partition scheme).

Ok, now I see...

Last edited by confusion-is-my-sedative (2012-10-26 12:52:58)

#16 2012-10-26 12:52:49

Scimmia
Fellow

*sigh*

Because you have two kernels installed and you're loading the wrong one!

#17 2012-10-26 13:07:33

confusion-is-my-sedative

Yes, got it, now there's now conflict from 'uname -r' smile

# uname -r
3.5.6-1-ARCH

#18 2012-10-26 18:55:49

confusion-is-my-sedative

Ok, I deleted the /boot directory once mounted only with /dev/sda3 (/etc/fstab comment preventing /dev/sda1). Then I remapped the previous bash config with the uuids of /dev/sda1 and (hd0,0) . However, now when I bootup, no login occurs-- I get into a busybox environment instead.
there is "could not open tty, no job control error"
and an "sbin/init does not exist, aborting, you are on your own" message which makes me feel confident I'm two steps behind
However, once in livecd mode, I noticed that /sbin/init does exist, and that its a symbolic link to systemd. The only nice thing to happen is that in the "busybox" system I got the latest kernel info when I ran

# uname -r
3.6.2-1-ARCH

...so at least that's solved. Now I'm running from a livedisc. Any ideas?

#19 2012-10-26 19:20:04

Scimmia
Fellow

The uuids need to point to /dev/sda3. This is where you pass the kernel the actual root. It's only the (hd0,0) line that needs to point to sda1 so that Grub loads from there.

#20 2012-10-26 20:35:08

confusion-is-my-sedative

Aha,....
yeah that was a mistake alright. Thankyou so much. smile Successful reboot and forcedeth worked! now I just have to check which modules to load.

Thanks so much Scimmia, it seems to be easy sailing from here. smile

Last edited by confusion-is-my-sedative (2012-10-26 21:28:06)

Board footer