You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-26 06:24:50

lubos

systemd and netcfg menu

I am experiencing problem that after switching completely to systemd netcfg service is no longer presenting menu to select network profile.

in other words:
when /etc/conf.d/netcfg contains

NETWORKS=(menu)

profile named main is started (wired dhcp) but no dialog menu is presented and I have no possibility to choose profile I want.

Does anyone see same problem? Did I missed anything?

#2 2012-10-26 09:01:42

brain0
Developer

Re: systemd and netcfg menu

Systemd does not allow user interaction during boot, at least not easily (there is apparently some limited support to query passwords).

I don't understand the need for having to select a profile manually on boot, it seems wrong.

#3 2012-10-26 09:12:01

lubos

I was using profile selection by menu before switching to systemd simply because I am using different network settings on laptop at different sites (customers). I know I can switch profile later which is what I am doing now. My question is mainly whether I made a mistake somewhere or I am trying something which is not supposed to work.

#4 2012-10-26 09:24:06

brain0
Developer

Yes, so you got your answer: This cannot work with systemd. (This is not entirely true, but implementing a clean solution that supports systemd is overkill for this use case.)

My take on choosing profiles on boot:

• If you use a wired connection, you should rely on the site's DHCP server to handle your connection properly (after all, it works for all Mac and Windows users, and for most other Linux users).

• If you use a wireless connection, net-auto-wireless is capable of automatically selecting the correct profile for you, no manual intervention required.

Board footer