You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-27 17:57:51

mamamia88

Yaourt Auto Update Manually Installed Packages?

I couldn't use yaourt because of server problems with the aur.  but i was able to download pkgbuilds and install with the makepkg and pacman -U commands.   once the servers are back up and running properly 100% is there a way i can setup yaourt to check for updated pkgbuilds for my app that i manually installed?

#2 2012-10-27 18:36:28

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Yaourt Auto Update Manually Installed Packages?

As long as the packages were installed with pacman, yaourt will see them and check for updates.

#3 2012-10-27 18:36:41

Awebb

A riddle to answer your question: How does yaourt know the difference between manually installed packages and packages installed by yaourt?

#4 2012-10-28 12:37:07

mamamia88

So yaourt doesn't download  pkgbuilds to a specific location or anything and check for existing pkgbuilds to know whether to upgrade or not?    Or when installing manually are aur made xz files copied over to the pacman cache and yaourt checks from there?

#5 2012-10-28 13:05:48

Awebb

Yaourt only checks for manually installed packages, it does not keep track of what it does. Pacman knows a flag for manual packages (pacman -Qm). See 'man pacman' for details. Yaourt will also try to find updates for manually installed packages not in the AUR, but it won't find any, as the only source for it to look is the AUR.

If you want to learn more about the process, you should consider using the AUR manually for a while or try a less handholding AUR helper like cower. Cower, for example, only downloads the tarballs to a folder (set in its config file) and extracts it, so it is up to you to view the PKGBUILD and run makepkg. It has an update check (cower -u), that can be combined with the download command (cower -ud) to download the AUR package (use -udd if it should download the dependencies as well). While it is not as comfortable as yaourt, it will teach you more about package building and will not be in your way in case something goes wrong. I only use yaourt for packages I know to build out of the box with insane dependency chains containing too many nested AUR deps, although I cannot think of an example right now.

In fact, yaourt was the reason I did not use Arch at first. I installed Arch, fetched yaourt from the "official" custom repository and tried to build a few packages, to see that only 3/10 actually built. I thought, that I should not use a distro with a broken front-page feature, and it was not until I was told on the IRC channel to skip the whole helper thing and first learn how to do it myself. I can now use any helper with the confidence, that I can manually intervene in case something does not work.

#6 2012-10-28 13:09:10

tydell
Website

Also when you want yaourt to download packages and store them locally (pacman do it in /var/cache/pacman/pkg) you can make it in /etc.yaourtrc. You need to make two lines in yaourtrc like this:

EXPORT=1           # Export to 1: EXPORTDIR or PKGDEST
EXPORTDIR="/path_to_yaourt_cache_folder"

#7 2012-10-28 18:18:54

mamamia88

Awebb wrote:

Yaourt only checks for manually installed packages, it does not keep track of what it does. Pacman knows a flag for manual packages (pacman -Qm). See 'man pacman' for details. Yaourt will also try to find updates for manually installed packages not in the AUR, but it won't find any, as the only source for it to look is the AUR.

If you want to learn more about the process, you should consider using the AUR manually for a while or try a less handholding AUR helper like cower. Cower, for example, only downloads the tarballs to a folder (set in its config file) and extracts it, so it is up to you to view the PKGBUILD and run makepkg. It has an update check (cower -u), that can be combined with the download command (cower -ud) to download the AUR package (use -udd if it should download the dependencies as well). While it is not as comfortable as yaourt, it will teach you more about package building and will not be in your way in case something goes wrong. I only use yaourt for packages I know to build out of the box with insane dependency chains containing too many nested AUR deps, although I cannot think of an example right now.

In fact, yaourt was the reason I did not use Arch at first. I installed Arch, fetched yaourt from the "official" custom repository and tried to build a few packages, to see that only 3/10 actually built. I thought, that I should not use a distro with a broken front-page feature, and it was not until I was told on the IRC channel to skip the whole helper thing and first learn how to do it myself. I can now use any helper with the confidence, that I can manually intervene in case something does not work.

well i use yaourt because it seems to work everytime for me.   except lately i'm getting 301 errors but that's probably a server problem.   so i've been building packages manually with makepkg.   so yaourt -Syua will check for updates to packages not installed by yaourt?   good to know

#8 2012-10-28 19:25:55

SS4

mamamia88 wrote:

well i use yaourt because it seems to work everytime for me.   except lately i'm getting 301 errors but that's probably a server problem.   so i've been building packages manually with makepkg.   so yaourt -Syua will check for updates to packages not installed by yaourt?   good to know

yaourt itself has been updated in the AUR now fixing said error

Rauchen verboten

#9 2012-10-28 19:33:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

mamamia88 wrote:

well i use yaourt because it seems to work everytime for me.   except lately...

Perhaps someone should make a logo for yaourt based on this:
http://mediacdn.snorgcontent.com/media/ … rtwork.jpg

Yaourt: 60% of the time, it works every time.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2012-10-28 20:16:06

mamamia88

Trilby wrote:
mamamia88 wrote:

so just to confirm though everything i've installed via makepkg and pacman -U will be updated when i run yaourt -Syua?

#11 2012-10-28 20:21:21

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

mamamia88 wrote:
Trilby wrote:
mamamia88 wrote:

so just to confirm though everything i've installed via makepkg and pacman -U will be updated when i run yaourt -Syua?

You really should read the makepkg and AUR wiki pages to understand the relationship between pacman, makepkg and the various AUR helpers...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer