Website

Re: kalu: Keeping Arch Linux Up-to-date

Nice - Keep up the great work!

#52 2012-05-10 19:22:28

jjacky
Website

New version (1.0.0) is up. Changes since last version are :

- Preferences: kalu's updater: added option to disable confirmation before starting PostSysUpgrade processes.
- PostSysUpgrade: now you can use variable $PACKAGES in the command line, to be replaced by the list of upgraded packages. (Note that the list actually is of all packages involved in the sysupgrade, i.e. also those removed or added, e.g. when a package is replaced by another one.)
- When buttons for Upgrades & AUR were both used/clicked at the same time, kalu would run a check after each, fixed
- Parsing config file was broken for lines with more than 255 characters, fixed
- News parser: added support for lists and "
- Other minor fixes.
- Bumped to 1.0.0 to follow semantic versioning

Thanks to all those who reported bugs or suggested features.
(And just as a little example of how the $PACKAGES variable can be used in PostSysUpgrade, here's the script I use.)

#53 2012-05-15 22:47:36

laurion

Hmm.  I'm calling yaourt to handle AUR packages via lxterminal -e and for some reason kalu is not waiting for that to finish before checking again for updates.

#54 2012-05-17 10:27:40

jjacky
Website

So, when you click the "Update AUR packages" buttons, lxterminal opens up and kalu checks for updates right away?
I can't reproduce this. If you set a command line with lxterminal for Upgrades, and you start it from menu "System upgrade," does kalu then goes back to its normal state even though lxterminal is still running as well?

#55 2012-07-18 12:19:40

tulth

Great app!! I love it.

This may help other users:
I tried to do a AUR package update and it froze my X session. 
My fix was to go to preferences and change the update AUR packages button to run:
  lxterminal -e yaourt -Syua
(I am in LDXE)

Hopefully that helps others!

#56 2012-08-11 12:24:14

jjacky
Website

New version (1.1.0) is up. Changes since last version are :

- Added options --manual-checks (-m) and --auto-checks (-a) to run manual/auto checks from command line. No GUI used at all, everything gets printed on stderr/stdout (using the same templates as for notifications).  This can be done without the need for a DISPLAY (no GTK init performed), thus works from a tty or through SSH. This can also be useful to use kalu from scripts.
- A configure option --disable-gui is also available, to make kalu a small CLI-only binary (i.e. no dependency to GTK nor libnotify), which could be useful on GUIless box (e.g. servers), where kalu can then still be used to check for upgrades, watched packages, etc Running this CLI kalu without arguments will do the same as using --manual-checks
- News parser: a few fixes: LF inside <code> blocks are preserved, correct processing of &minus;, &lsquo;, &rsquo;, &amp;, &lt; and &gt;
- News parser: links are now supported: showed blue & underlined, URL as tooltip, click to open in default browser (via xdg-open)

About xdg-open: I actually realized, right after uploading the new version to the AUR in fact, that this wasn’t really the best way to go. A better solution than hardcoding the use of xdg-open would be to introduce a new option, and that’s what I did. The code is already done, though it’s not in this version. But next version will also use xdg-open by default, but let you change it to whatever replacement you use, or even your web browser directly. Up to you.
(So if you don’t have xdg-utils on your system and don’t want to install it just for kalu, but want to be able to click on links, you can download the code from the repo (branch default) and you’ll then have the option available (under Misc).)

#57 2012-10-28 21:01:27

solar

Method failed: method init .. polkit auth failed to initialise or something.

from aur.. on lxde, notification daemon I guess.

I added what someoen else here mentioned

-session optional ....

I already had such a line with pam_systemd.so or so.

Hmm, need to log in again or? (don't want to right now as a lot of stuff is open smile).

I am hilariously insane. yup. you won't notice though.. I promise...I think.

#58 2012-12-08 19:34:40

jjacky
Website

So, the next version of kalu is almost ready, and one of the changes it will introduce, is support for internationalization. In other words, kalu is ready to speak your language!

Source code has been (reorganized and) modified to use gettext, it’s ready, all it needs now to speak other languages, are translations. So if you like kalu but would like it better if it spoke your language, please consider translating it.

Branch next on github contains the source code ready for translation, if you're not familiar with gettext here's a little guide that should allow anyone to make a translation.

Thanks.

#59 2013-03-22 02:54:41

oboedad55

@jjacky, thanks for this! How do I clear the news?

Registered Linux user #436067

#60 2013-03-22 16:48:49

jjacky
Website

Ok, based on your AUR comments it seems your notification daemon doesn't show buttons on notifications. This is a little bit of a problem, and in that case there's no GUI to do it.

You can easilly do it manually though: Update/create a file ~/.config/kalu/news.conf and just put one line in it, with "Last=<title of last news>" to mark them all read. E.g. now you'd put this:

Last=qt4 replaces qt

And all news will be marked read. I'll see to add some GUI in the next version so you can do it even if your notification daemon doesn't show buttons on notifications.

#61 2013-03-22 16:58:32

oboedad55

jjacky wrote:

Ok, based on your AUR comments it seems your notification daemon doesn't show buttons on notifications. This is a little bit of a problem, and in that case there's no GUI to do it.

You can easilly do it manually though: Update/create a file ~/.config/kalu/news.conf and just put one line in it, with "Last=<title of last news>" to mark them all read. E.g. now you'd put this:

Last=qt4 replaces qt

And all news will be marked read. I'll see to add some GUI in the next version so you can do it even if your notification daemon doesn't show buttons on notifications.

Thanks, that took care of it. This only happens with the Cinnamon desktop.

#62 2013-03-24 16:19:04

cookies

oboedad55 wrote:

Thanks, that took care of it. This only happens with the Cinnamon desktop.

Same trouble with the news here when using awesome wm. I'll try and login into xfce when I get to it and see how it looks there.

Apart from that little problem kalu looks very nice and may be quite useful for keeping my few AUR packages up to date (I've got the official repos covered with pacman and I am happy with it).

I'm trying to teach kalu some german, but this may take a while since I haven't done any serious translating for nearly ten years and the upcoming semester still requires some preparations.

#63 2013-03-24 16:46:13

jjacky
Website

The problem isn't with your  WM or DE, but notification daemon. If it doesn't support/show action buttons on notifications, you don't get the only way (w/GUI) to mark news read. Next version will have a new item "Show unread news" in the menu, to take care of that.

#64 2013-03-24 17:15:12

cookies

jjacky wrote:

The problem isn't with your  WM or DE, but notification daemon.

I tried xfce4-notifyd and notification-daemon, both had no buttons in awesome wm. But I think xfce4-notifyd actually provided some buttons when used together with xfce, so I'll take a closer look at it later.

Edit: I've done some testing.

Everything works fine with xfce & xcfe4-notifyd (buttons and everything), the xfce & notification-daemon combo doesn't show the necessary buttons. So, yeah, the WM/DE has some influence as well. I guess I might find a notification daemon that works together with awesome wm, but the news feature is not that important for me.

Last edited by cookies (2013-03-24 19:06:52)

#65 2013-04-01 06:59:46

HarD

How i can disable notification gtk, and only notify-osd... because now i have two notifications...

Ohh with xfce4-notifyd works fine, can you add support notify-osd?

Last edited by HarD (2013-04-01 09:03:59)

#66 2013-04-01 11:56:30

jjacky
Website

kalu doesn't (have to) support any daemon, it just sends notification through libnotify. Any compatible notification daemon should then be able to show the notifications, that includes notify-osd. (And I'm not sure how/why you'd get two notifications, since you shouldn't be able to have two daemons registered at once.)

#67 2013-04-04 17:26:36

zeroadhesion

Great software, thank you!

#68 2013-04-04 17:30:33

oboedad55

jjacky wrote:

kalu doesn't (have to) support any daemon, it just sends notification through libnotify. Any compatible notification daemon should then be able to show the notifications, that includes notify-osd. (And I'm not sure how/why you'd get two notifications, since you shouldn't be able to have two daemons registered at once.)

@jjacky I'm running the Cinnamon desktop and have notify-osd installed, but while I get the notifications they are missing the buttons I get with Xfce or Gnome shell. Any ideas?

#69 2013-04-04 18:21:36

jjacky
Website

Not sure, are you also using notify-osd with XFCE & Gnome? Usually the lack of buttons would come from the daemon (i.e. notify-osd) that might not support it. I have tried notify-osd and all notifications from kalu worked, i.e. were shown as regular dialogs with the action button as well as buttons Ok & Cancel (not sure what the differences between those two were, if any); if it behaves differently under Cinnamom, I'd say that's either a bug in notify-osd, or Cinnamon.

#70 2013-04-05 21:53:45

adam777

Thanks for the 2.0.0 update, much appreciated.
I cannot launch system upgrade with this version.
Whenever I attempt to, the window will pop for a half second and immediately close and nothing more.
If it's relevant, the new PkgClip version works as expected and so are manual pacman updates.

#71 2013-04-06 10:42:05

jjacky
Website

So you mean the sysupgrade window show up, then kalu crashes? If so, if you could run it in gdb and send me a backtrace that might help.

#72 2013-04-06 18:47:35

adam777

Nope, no crash.
When launching system upgrade, the tray icon stays where it is, and the process stays alive as it should.
Anyway, as for gdb, I'll try and find my way around it and send a backtrace.

#73 2013-04-06 19:59:21

jjacky
Website

Ok, got it. kalu 2.0.1 is out with a fix. Turns out I messed up things & had removed an init call (in kalu-dbus) a "little too soon" (It's only deprecated in GLib 2.36); Sorry about that.

#74 2013-04-06 20:55:15

adam777

Confirm Fixed.
Thanks for the quick reply, jjacky.

#75 2013-04-11 18:51:20

adam777

Hi jjacky, I have a question regarding AUR packages.
I have an AUR package installed that follows a git repository.
That is, it seems like the package version is updated automatically on every git commit.

Current AUR package corresponds to a git commit that was made 18 hours ago (as of time of writing).
However, the AUR page states that the package was last updated 07/04/13.

I get no notifications from kalu for this package and was wondering if you could have a look.
The packages in question is https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/powerdown-git/

Thanks, Adam.

Board footer