You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-29 15:43:24

walterjwhite

squashfs / mmc read errors [solved]

Hi guys,

I am trying to boot my laptop to an SD card through a bootable USB drive (since I cannot boot directly to an SD card).  The USB drive boot part works fine, but it seems on some laptops of mine, I can squashfs read errors.  I tried building several images and dumping them to the SD card, but all end with the same problem.  My setup is, I setup an encrypted block device on the SD card, no partition, just use the entire device (cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/mmcblk0 ...).  Then, I dump the squashfs image to the SD card (cryptsetup luksOpen ... , dd if=squashfs file of=luksDevice).

Now, the interesting thing is, the md5sum of the luksDevice and the squashfs are different, never are they the same.  It is hard for me to tell if it wrote successfully or failed (I don't get any errors with dd), or if it is having read errors.  I'd still like to boot to an SD card because I can switch the OS easily and I have the SD cards sitting around.

The SD cards are about 2 years old, but I don't expect them to already have problems.

I'm stuck and looking for something else to try.  Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

Walter

Last edited by walterjwhite (2013-01-18 14:12:54)

#2 2012-10-29 16:36:53

ewaller
Administrator

Re: squashfs / mmc read errors [solved]

I am not quite sure where this post belongs, but it probably does not belong under Networking, Server and Protection.

Lets try "Kernel and Hardware"

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-01-18 14:13:48

walterjwhite

Re: squashfs / mmc read errors [solved]

The issue was resolved by building a custom kernel (linux-aufs_friendly) with only the necessary modules.  I can now boot up to the SD card just fine.

Walter

Board footer