You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-31 15:47:58

markhadman

ConsoleKit replaced by logind - more info needed! [solved]

From the front page news:

"With GNOME 3.6, polkit and networkmanager moving to [extra], ConsoleKit has now been removed from the repositories. Any package that previously depended on it now relies on systemd-logind instead. That means that the system must be booted with systemd to be fully functional.

In addition to GNOME, both KDE and XFCE are also affected by this change."

As a user of Arch for 'only' two years, I really don't know where to begin with this. Does this mean that CK will be removed from my machine and my .xinitrc ("exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startxfce4") will stop working? Do I now need to move over to systemd to have the same functionality, re: thunar automounting of removables, etc?  I don't have a deep enough understanding of all the components involved to be able to get much information from this news item.

Please understand that I post this question in order to understand how much work is going to be involved. I like to keep my systems up to date, but I don't want to be starting on this upgrade at a point when I don't have the time, patience and preparedness to do it right.

Last edited by markhadman (2012-11-01 02:03:18)

#2 2012-10-31 15:53:38

WonderWoofy

Re: ConsoleKit replaced by logind - more info needed! [solved]

markhadman wrote:

Do I now need to move over to systemd to have the same functionality...

Did you even read the snippet you copied/pasted into your post?  Namely, the line that says

That means that the system must be booted with systemd to be fully functional.

You will probably need to remove consolekit your self.  But no packages will now depend on it.  If you use a login manager (ie gdm, slim, etc) the logind authentication will be taken care of for you.  From your .xinitrc, it seems as though you use startx though.  In any case, you should remove the ck-launch-session as that now does nothing (except possibly make the command fail).  If you do use startx or xinit to launch xfce, you need to make sure X is started on the same vt as you launched/logged in from.

See here: http://blog.falconindy.com/articles/bac … stemd.html

#3 2012-10-31 16:14:47

Scimmia
Fellow

WonderWoofy, there was an update to xinit last night with a new xserverrc, so that blog post should no longer be an issue.

#4 2012-10-31 16:29:57

markhadman

WonderWoofy wrote:
markhadman wrote:

Do I now need to move over to systemd to have the same functionality...

Did you even read the snippet you copied/pasted into your post?  Namely, the line that says

That means that the system must be booted with systemd to be fully functional.

Of course I did! But every Arch installation makes use of a different subset of the 'full functionality'! I was not expecting a straight 'yes' or 'no' answer specific to my circumstances, but I was frustrated that the author made no attempt to explain what functionality might be lost, given that I'd probably have to cross reference wiki pages for ConsoleKit, logind, systemd (and I don't know how many more) to find out. Call me lazy if you will, but I like a road map when I start out on a journey (Or at least a compass....). Does logind need systemd in order to replace any and all functionality that was provided by consolekit, or just a few obscure features that I might not be using?

You will probably need to remove consolekit your self.  But no packages will now depend on it.  If you use a login manager (ie gdm, slim, etc) the logind authentication will be taken care of for you.  From your .xinitrc, it seems as though you use startx though.  In any case, you should remove the ck-launch-session as that now does nothing (except possibly make the command fail).  If you do use startx or xinit to launch xfce, you need to make sure X is started on the same vt as you launched/logged in from.

Thanks  very much for that, I will investigate.

#5 2012-10-31 16:34:40

WonderWoofy

Call me lazy if you will...

You are lazy.  Do your own work/research.  Also, you should probably subscribe to [arch-dev-public] and then you would understand why the message was so general.  In fact it was that way for the very reason of your statement "...every Arch installation makes use of a different subset of the 'full functionality'" and therefore all use cases could not possibly have been covered in the snort news snippet.

@Scimmia, thanks for the info.  I saw some chatter about doing it, but was unaware that it had been taken care of so quickly.

#6 2012-10-31 16:40:59

brain0
Developer

WonderWoofy wrote:

If you do use startx or xinit to launch xfce, you need to make sure X is started on the same vt as you launched/logged in from.

This has been fixed in extra/xorg-xinit now.

#7 2012-10-31 16:42:27

markhadman

I think the issue is that I misread an earlier part of the post.

I saw:

[..] now relies on logind instead

instead of:

[..] now relies on systemd-logind instead

Am I now right in thinking that systemd-logind is part of systemd? In this context, the confusion disappears somewhat.

#8 2012-10-31 16:42:47

brain0
Developer

markhadman wrote:

Do I now need to move over to systemd to have the same functionality, re: thunar automounting of removables, etc?

Thunar automounting makes use of polkit policies, which now depend on logind (instead of consolekit). So yes, if you're not running systemd, polkit will not authorize you to mount removables and instead request a root password (or maybe fail to work entirely, don't know).

#9 2012-11-01 00:47:35

markhadman

Thanks for your time, Wonderwoofy & brain0. Ultimately I think I was confused and misled by the news item's title using the name 'logind' instead of 'systemd-logind' or just 'systemd'. I thought I was dealing with something that was distinct from, yet somewhat dependent on, systemd. The meaning became perfectly clear once I realised that it's actually just systemd that we're dealing with.

Last edited by markhadman (2012-11-01 00:48:40)

#10 2012-11-01 01:27:37

fsckd
Forum Fellow

On the flipside, if you're not using consolekit or systemd, you can continue with initscripts (for now). IIRC, logind is one of the two units (the other being journald) that systemd requires to work.

Don't forget to mark solved threads as [solved]. smile

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#11 2012-11-01 16:10:31

czubek
Banned

Edit message deleted.

Last edited by czubek (2012-11-01 16:16:08)

#12 2012-11-23 11:33:34

cedricmc

archlinux wrote:

ConsoleKit has now been removed from the repositories. Any package that previously depended on it now relies on systemd-logind instead.

So, is it safe to remove ConsoleKit from the system?

#13 2012-11-23 11:43:11

loafer

cedricmc wrote:
archlinux wrote:

ConsoleKit has now been removed from the repositories. Any package that previously depended on it now relies on systemd-logind instead.

So, is it safe to remove ConsoleKit from the system?

It's been removed from the repos so should be removed.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#14 2012-11-23 12:24:30

Jristz

remember disable all consolekit related services ant then desintall consolekit or you can have problems (ok this really aply to all services in all packages having services)

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#15 2012-11-27 13:24:31

cedricmc

Assuming that ...

archlinux wrote:

Any package that previously depended on it now relies on systemd-logind instead."

I have removed ConsolKit (on my fully updated system) and everything seems to work fine so far.

Board footer