You are not logged in.

#401 2012-09-29 12:27:41

rEnr3n

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

Hi. Is it possible to use a drop-down style terminal, like guake, in the "Terminal Preferences"?

#402 2012-09-30 05:57:12

Scimmia
Fellow

OK, I've got another one. When I click on the list of devices on the left, the devices mount. It then lists the mount point after the device, but one of my partitions doesn't. when I click on it again, instead of taking me to the mount point, it gives me an error that it's already mounted. I can access it through the normal mount point, so it is mounting correctly. Am I missing something incredibly simple again?

Last edited by Scimmia (2012-09-30 05:58:07)

#403 2012-10-06 13:30:55

IgnorantGuru
Website

rEnr3n wrote:

Hi. Is it possible to use a drop-down style terminal, like guake, in the "Terminal Preferences"?

SpaceFM doesn't have a built-in drop-down terminal (as yet - maybe someday).  It just runs your selected terminal.

#404 2012-10-06 13:47:11

IgnorantGuru
Website

Scimmia wrote:

OK, I've got another one. When I click on the list of devices on the left, the devices mount. It then lists the mount point after the device, but one of my partitions doesn't. when I click on it again, instead of taking me to the mount point, it gives me an error that it's already mounted. I can access it through the normal mount point, so it is mounting correctly. Am I missing something incredibly simple again?

I've opened an issue on this - asked for some additional info there, thanks.

#405 2012-10-06 17:47:38

rEnr3n

IgnorantGuru wrote:

SpaceFM doesn't have a built-in drop-down terminal (as yet - maybe someday).  It just runs your selected terminal.

I meant for external drop-down terminals. I have already installed one (guake). I wanted to know if it's possible to use that type of terminal instead of the regular ones that open a new window (xterm).

#406 2012-10-06 18:56:43

IgnorantGuru
Website

rEnr3n wrote:

I meant for external drop-down terminals. I have already installed one (guake). I wanted to know if it's possible to use that type of terminal instead of the regular ones that open a new window (xterm).

Sure you can set the terminal to any executable, and include any options (just type it in the box rather than selecting from the drop-down list).  The caveat may be how your terminal handles command arguments (eg -e or -x).  You can see the command spacefm uses to run your terminal by running spacefm in a terminal window and observing the output.  If the options spacefm uses doesn't suit your terminal, you can let me know what options it should use instead.  Every terminal handles options somewhat differently.  Or if you prefer you can write a wrapper script for your terminal and have spacefm run that, but I prefer to hear any problems with terminals so it can handle as many as possible.

#407 2012-10-07 07:42:24

stozi

Remember me from page 16?

Just wanted to say I didn't mean to imply less functionality or options in the menus would be better, but my first impression was that they could be more streamlined somehow, though not sure how.

And btw about the wallpaper issue I mentioned, seems that the wallpaper gets set to the screen edge, but then gets pushed to the Openbox margin, doubling the top 20 pixels in my case. Probably anyone with a non-transparent edge-to-edge panel would prefer this, but well, not me. cheers

#408 2012-10-25 17:01:32

IgnorantGuru
Website

@stozi:  Thanks for the additional info.  I suggest you open an issue on this so the info can be collected in one place - that will make it more likely I will find it all when I next work on the desktop code.  You might also have a look at this request in case its related.  Thanks for the feedback.

SpaceFM 0.8.2 is available.  Also, a new gtk3 branch is now available for testing via AUR spacefm-gtk3.  For details on both please see News.

#409 2012-10-28 21:44:27

IgnorantGuru
Website

The socket commands feature has now been added to spacefm's next branch (AUR spacefm-git) and gtk3 branch (AUR spacefm-gkt3).  This allows scripts to read and manipulate GUI components in a running spacefm window, and should make for some very capable plugins, especially combined with SpaceFM Dialog.  For now see 'spacefm -s help' - some user manual docs should be added within a few days.  For example, scripts can now easily change the status bar, select files, read and set the clipboards, resize and re-position the window, change the panel visibility and sizes, display progress percentage and other info in the task manager, etc.

Also, spacefm has been running very well in gtk3, and a few minor issues were fixed in the last couple of days.  Choice of theme is important as many gtk3 themes do not work properly with gtk3.4 (will spit out warnings as a clue and can break behavior).  I found many unusable themes.  For a dark theme I find DarkMint runs well and uses space efficiently (something rare in gtk3 themes).  If anyone can recommend a light or dark theme please do - I'd like to make a few suggestions for what works well with spacefm + gtk3.

#410 2012-10-28 23:03:34

ninian
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

Also, spacefm has been running very well in gtk3, and a few minor issues were fixed in the last couple of days.  Choice of theme is important as many gtk3 themes do not work properly with gtk3.4 (will spit out warnings as a clue and can break behavior).  I found many unusable themes.  For a dark theme I find DarkMint runs well and uses space efficiently (something rare in gtk3 themes).  If anyone can recommend a light or dark theme please do - I'd like to make a few suggestions for what works well with spacefm + gtk3.

Thanks for all these recent developments, and the GTK3 version seems to be running well for me too.
I've recently been using the Clearlooks-Phenix theme for both GTK2 and GTK3 applications, including SpaceFM. The only thing I don't like too much is the excessive vertical height of a tab in SpaceFM-GTK3 - it could be about 30% smaller.

Edit: Adwaita suffered from the same excessive tab height problem, but Clearlooks-Phenix only seems to be excessive in SpaceFM. Tabs in other GTK3 applications such as Bluefish seem okay in height.

Last edited by ninian (2012-10-28 23:06:34)

#411 2012-10-29 23:16:09

BwackNinja

The tab height issue should be resolved in my branch with this commit: https://github.com/BwackNinja/spacefm/c … 6eef72f2dd

Some other minor issues were also addressed. Thanks for testing.

#412 2012-10-29 23:42:23

tweed

sorry to have to ask. (searched all 17 pages of posts here)

Haven't seen spaceFM appearing in any of the BSD forums/package lists much.
Have gleened there's much interest however.

Anyone know if there'll be any show-stoppers for running on at least FreeBSD if not OpenBSD?

I'd give it a try though don't have the skill set.
in any event, thanks for great tips and the most awesome file manager.

Last edited by tweed (2012-10-30 16:52:47)

#413 2012-10-30 14:17:23

IgnorantGuru
Website

tweed wrote:

Haven't seen spaceFM appearing in any of the BSD forums/package lists much.
Have gleened there's much interest however.

Anyone know if there'll be any show-stoppers for running og at least FreeBSD of not OpenBSD?

I suspect this would take someone familiar with porting to BSD to look it over and make a few adjustments, but I don't think it would require much.  If anyone does so and wants anything changed upstream just let me know.  Thanks for your feedback.

#414 2012-10-30 14:25:43

IgnorantGuru
Website

ninian wrote:

Thanks for all these recent developments, and the GTK3 version seems to be running well for me too.
I've recently been using the Clearlooks-Phenix theme for both GTK2 and GTK3 applications, including SpaceFM. The only thing I don't like too much is the excessive vertical height of a tab in SpaceFM-GTK3 - it could be about 30% smaller.

Edit: Adwaita suffered from the same excessive tab height problem, but Clearlooks-Phenix only seems to be excessive in SpaceFM. Tabs in other GTK3 applications such as Bluefish seem okay in height.

Thanks for the suggestions.  In gtk2 clearlooks was particularly slow with spacefm (which uses a lot of GUI widgets and methods, so is affected by theme speed).  I just tried Clearlooks-Phenix in gtk3 and note it also seems slow.  For example there is a discernible delay opening a second panel compared with DarkMint.  Depending on use this may not matter, but I'm looking for themes that move as well as possible.

As BwackNinja noted, the new fix for tab height should correct this issue for all themes - works for me.

Unrelated, a new View|Auto Run menu has been added to the next and gtk3 branches.  This runs commands on events and is related to the socket command functionality - docs should be soon.

#415 2012-10-30 21:02:45

ninian
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.  In gtk2 clearlooks was particularly slow with spacefm (which uses a lot of GUI widgets and methods, so is affected by theme speed).  I just tried Clearlooks-Phenix in gtk3 and note it also seems slow.  For example there is a discernible delay opening a second panel compared with DarkMint.

Hmmm, that's curious as I generally find Clearlooks to be one of the faster themes! For example, the GTK2 version in almost twice as fast (eg according to gtkperf) as oxygen-gtk2 and -gtk3 (from Arch Extra repo). They really do seem to lag on SpaceFM. I'll be interested to hear what themes you find the fastest as time and GTK3 testing goes on.

Added later: Just rebuilt spacefm-gtk3 and yes thanks, the height of tabs looks much happier now!

Last edited by ninian (2012-10-30 21:38:30)

#416 2012-10-30 22:27:31

IgnorantGuru
Website

ninian wrote:

Hmmm, that's curious as I generally find Clearlooks to be one of the faster themes! For example, the GTK2 version in almost twice as fast (eg according to gtkperf) as oxygen-gtk2 and -gtk3 (from Arch Extra repo). They really do seem to lag on SpaceFM. I'll be interested to hear what themes you find the fastest as time and GTK3 testing goes on.

Added later: Just rebuilt spacefm-gtk3 and yes thanks, the height of tabs looks much happier now!

It may depend on where in particular a theme is slow compared to what the app uses.  Also, system speed can probably make this a non-issue.  By nature spacefm pushes themes hard enough to see the difference.  I'm also interested in per-app themeing methods for gtk3 if anyone has further input there.  Seems they've made it more difficult in gtk3 to say the least.

Also, I think it was asked about here - a Zoom mode has been added to the desktop wallpaper (gtk2+gtk3) thanks to BwackNinja, who is proving to be a GTKNinja!

#417 2012-10-31 20:09:44

zeltak

hya IgnorantGuru

first of all let me say that ive been using spacefm as my main file manager for the past 2 months since discovering it and it been pure joy, thx so much for your hard work on it!

a few small questions/issues that have been nagging me:

in the copy full path is there any way to remove the ' ' signs in the copy path? i find it quite annoying to have to remove them manually each time?

is there a way to lock the columns (position)?

is there a filter function where one could choose to show only *pdf files in a pane?

is there a way to have the rename function only select the file name and not the extension (commonly used in TC and krusader)

also can we add icons(commands) to the panel bar? it seems like there is alot of empty wasted space there:

http://paste.xinu.at/dVZey/

thx alot again

Z

Last edited by zeltak (2012-10-31 20:24:07)

#418 2012-10-31 21:38:10

IgnorantGuru
Website

zeltak wrote:

hya IgnorantGuru

first of all let me say that ive been using spacefm as my main file manager for the past 2 months since discovering it and it been pure joy, thx so much for your hard work on it!

a few small questions/issues that have been nagging me:

in the copy full path is there any way to remove the ' ' signs in the copy path? i find it quite annoying to have to remove them manually each time?

Hi, thanks for the feedback.  The quotes are designed for pasting names into a terminal without having to quote them.  For other purposes they are 'extra'.  If you're using the 'next' or 'gtk3' branches (what will become 0.8.3), you can add a custom command to copy it without the quotes:

spacefm -s set clipboard_text "$fm_file"

Or if you want to handle multiple paths you can extend that.  Another thing you can do now is make a custom command to copy a file's contents to the clipboard:

spacefm -s set clipboard_from_file "$fm_file"

Not that you asked but I think its cool.  smile

is there a way to lock the columns (position)?

Columns should stay where you put them, but if you mean lock it so you can't change it, no.  If you really want to do this a 'Columns Changed' event could be added to the new Auto Run menu - probably should be anyway.

is there a filter function where one could choose to show only *pdf files in a pane?

No, but filters may be added at some point.  You can Edit|Select By Pattern, or File|File Search.  There is also a find-as-you-type search that accepts wildcards.

is there a way to have the rename function only select the file name and not the extension (commonly used in TC and krusader)

The answer is somewhat complex.  Keep in mind that the rename dialog, when it first opens, will place the focus in whichever box you last used to rename/move/copy a file.  So for starters that controls what box will have text selected by default.  If you click the Options button you'll see 'Name' and 'Filename' options.  If Name is checked and Filename is not, the filename is automatically split into separate boxes.  If Filename is selected and Name is not, the Filename box will have only the name portion selected, not the extension.  If both Name and Filename are checked, and Filename has focus, the entire filename will be selected.  Also note that it won't always determine which is the filename part correctly, but if you notice a failure of the algorithm let me know.  Long story short, yes, play with the options.  smile  Maybe that should be a separate option if its not 'just happening'.

also can we add icons(commands) to the panel bar? it seems like there is alot of empty wasted space there:

No but that's an interesting idea.  Thanks.

#419 2012-10-31 22:23:59

Rasi
Website

IgnorantGuru: where can one find the DarkMint theme?

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#420 2012-10-31 22:34:58

IgnorantGuru
Website

Rasi wrote:

IgnorantGuru: where can one find the DarkMint theme?

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ … ent=150904

I found the dark scrollbars dysfunctional so I rewired it as shown:

ls -l ~/.themes/DarkMint/gtk-3.0/darkelements/scrollbars/slider-*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 user user  636 Apr 25  2012 /home/user/.themes/DarkMint/gtk-3.0/darkelements/scrollbars/slider-horiz-active.png
-rwxr--r-- 1 user user 1255 Feb  4  2012 /home/user/.themes/DarkMint/gtk-3.0/darkelements/scrollbars/slider-horiz-orig.png
lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user   81 Oct 27 18:52 /home/user/.themes/DarkMint/gtk-3.0/darkelements/scrollbars/slider-horiz.png -> /home/user/.themes/DarkMint/gtk-3.0/darkelements/scrollbars/slider-horiz-active.png
-rwxr-xr-x 1 user user  656 Apr 19  2012 /home/user/.themes/DarkMint/gtk-3.0/darkelements/scrollbars/slider-vert-active.png
-rwxr--r-- 1 user user 1248 Feb  4  2012 /home/user/.themes/DarkMint/gtk-3.0/darkelements/scrollbars/slider-vert-orig.png
lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user   80 Oct 27 18:36 /home/user/.themes/DarkMint/gtk-3.0/darkelements/scrollbars/slider-vert.png -> /home/user/.themes/DarkMint/gtk-3.0/darkelements/scrollbars/slider-vert-active.png
-rwxr-xr-x 1 user user 1200 Feb 14  2012 /home/user/.themes/DarkMint/gtk-3.0/darkelements/scrollbars/slider-vert-prelight.png

Except for some minor things it works well.

#421 2012-11-01 16:24:02

zeltak

Thx for the great tips smile

ofc now i used these tips i have so more questions..lol smile

1) why isnt the copy to clip working for multiple files? i tried both

spacefm -s set clipboard_text %F
or
spacefm -s set clipboard_text "${fm_files[@]}"

but nothing is copied to clip, cant i copy all selected files to the clipboard?

2) Can we have the location/path bar save history and use bash like binds(up/down, ctrl-r for history search etc)? would be kinda cool to use for commonly used commands run from there

3) I cant seem to find what the commands to close a tab or panel are?

thx alot

Zeltak

#422 2012-11-01 17:10:43

IgnorantGuru
Website

zeltak wrote:

Thx for the great tips smile

ofc now i used these tips i have so more questions..lol smile

1) why isnt the copy to clip working for multiple files? i tried both

spacefm -s set clipboard_text %F
or
spacefm -s set clipboard_text "${fm_files[@]}"

but nothing is copied to clip, cant i copy all selected files to the clipboard?

set clipboard text accepts only one argument (the text string), while you are passing it multiple arguments.  Maybe:

spacefm -s set clipboard_text "$(echo "${fm_files[@]}")"

You can also  just copy them as files rather than text, and they will paste into text apps as text.  But this is the same as the default Ctrl+C:

spacefm -s set clipboard_copy_files %F

If you paste the clipboard containing files into a text app the conversion to text will be done automatically, though with linefeeds.

2) Can we have the location/path bar save history and use bash like binds(up/down, ctrl-r for history search etc)? would be kinda cool to use for commonly used commands run from there

If there is a command prefix, it does have a bash-like history with up/down arrows.  Otherwise there is no history (I think it could use a path history but this conflicted with tab completion iirc).

3) I cant seem to find what the commands to close a tab or panel are?

In the menus Go|Tab|Close or right-click on a tab and Close.  To hide a panel, View|Panel N.

With socket commands:

spacefm -s set current_tab close

spacefm -s set panel1_visible false

I may have omitted a way to close an arbitrary tab - I'll look at that.  But you can change to the tab and then close it:

spacefm -s set --panel 2 current_tab 3; spacefm -s set --panel 2 current_tab close

#423 2012-11-03 18:55:52

zeltak

Hi again IgnorantGuru

how are you?

i have a few more question if you dont mind smile

-i tried the up down for previous command when an operator was used (IE % COMMAND)  but when focused on the location bar up/down move between the toolbar items and not through history on my system (latest git).

-- what the command to specify the  other panel as output? IE if i would like to use a convert command on a png to jpeg and want the output on the other side? on the same like is there a way to specify a file without an extension?

- i couldnt figure this out but is there a way to change color for current cursor positions , lines etc?

- can we have an option to drag a folder from one panel to another and create a symlink (have a menu popup choosing copy/move/symlink like other common FM's)

- I may have asked this on github (im getting senile... smile but it would be very cool to have a sort command that works in all platforms where i could bind a key to sort by X and a second press would switch between asecnding/descending etc?

- is there a way to set the panel in other side to the current panel path (the = command in most dual pane FM's)

thx alot again

Z.

#424 2012-11-07 01:21:28

IgnorantGuru
Website

zeltak wrote:

Hi again IgnorantGuru

how are you?

i have a few more question if you dont mind smile

-i tried the up down for previous command when an operator was used (IE % COMMAND)  but when focused on the location bar up/down move between the toolbar items and not through history on my system (latest git).

Hi,  The pathbar must contain a command prefix for up/down keys to access the history.

-- what the command to specify the  other panel as output? IE if i would like to use a convert command on a png to jpeg and want the output on the other side? on the same like is there a way to specify a file without an extension?

You can use the exported bash variables for this, eg "${fm_pwd_panel[3]}"

- i couldnt figure this out but is there a way to change color for current cursor positions , lines etc?

Only by changing or editing your gtk theme.

- can we have an option to drag a folder from one panel to another and create a symlink (have a menu popup choosing copy/move/symlink like other common FM's)

You can hold ctrl+shift before you drop to create a link (standard behavior).  You can also copy the file(s) and use Edit|Paste Link.  No popup menu is planned.

- I may have asked this on github (im getting senile... smile but it would be very cool to have a sort command that works in all platforms where i could bind a key to sort by X and a second press would switch between asecnding/descending etc?

You can assign key shortcuts to any menu item, including the ones to control the sorting.  If I allow the sorting to be controlled via a socket command that creates some additional possibilities for combos, but you can also use socket commands to simulate keypresses.

- is there a way to set the panel in other side to the current panel path (the = command in most dual pane FM's)

You can change the directory in another panel, eg

spacefm --panel=2 --reuse-tab "$fm_pwd"

I don't mind answering some questions - glad you're trying these features.  I do recommend looking through the manual as there's a lot of useful info in it.  It's also incomplete though so feel free to ask if something isn't clear.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-11-07 01:28:55)

#425 2012-11-07 09:54:38

KimTjik

I hope to not duplicate an already made post. I have a question about mount points and SpaceFM. It could be I'm not aware of the reason, but to me it looks odd.

Removable devices like card-readers and USB sticks are auto-mounted to /run/media/USER/DEVICE. First I thought, "oh, have I unintentionally done some system wide changes", but then I check in Dolphin and the mount points become the expected /media/DEVICE.

Any thoughts on this?

Board footer