You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-01 13:03:04

PhotonX
Member
From: Munich
Registered: 2008-08-10
Posts: 430

[Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

Hello community,

I've already switched to systemd and everything came back to normal about a month ago, but now that console-kit has been replaced problems start to appear again.

- Suspend and hibernate are grayed out in the Xfce logout dialog
- Reboot just logs me out
- All disks are listed twice in Thunar and neither of the copies can be mounted except of those premounted via fstab

I started Xfce via .xinitrc before with

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch xfce4-session

Now I just removed the ck-launch-session part and got the above problems. loginctl list-sessions gives

# loginctl list-sessions
Failed to issue method call: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

Where shall I search for the problem?

Thanks,
PhotonX

Last edited by PhotonX (2012-11-25 13:40:43)


Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad X200 Tablet, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

Offline

#2 2012-11-01 13:20:18

codycarey
Member
Registered: 2009-08-21
Posts: 154

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

I'm also experiencing these exact same issues.

Offline

#3 2012-11-01 13:30:04

65kid
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2011-01-26
Posts: 663

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

Failed to issue method call: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

this error usually means that your system is not booted with systemd.
Also, you can and should remove dbus-launch. It is autolaunched from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*, provided you use the .xinitrc from /etc/skel/.

Offline

#4 2012-11-01 16:08:49

PhotonX
Member
From: Munich
Registered: 2008-08-10
Posts: 430

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

It is this "mixed" method (described in the wiki). Is this the problem?


Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad X200 Tablet, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

Offline

#5 2012-11-01 17:23:06

Urfaust
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2009-01-30
Posts: 164

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

PhotonX wrote:

It is this "mixed" method (described in the wiki). Is this the problem?

Did you add

init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd

to the kernel parameters in your bootloader?
Also: don't start Xfce with

xfce4-session

, use

startxfce4

instead, so

exec startxfce4

in your .xinitrc is the way to go. Do you use any login manager?

Offline

#6 2012-11-01 17:47:48

PhotonX
Member
From: Munich
Registered: 2008-08-10
Posts: 430

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

The two things (or, presumably some one of them) solved my problems, thanks!


Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad X200 Tablet, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

Offline

#7 2012-11-17 13:16:17

PhotonX
Member
From: Munich
Registered: 2008-08-10
Posts: 430

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

Hi again,

now I also updated my laptop which is set up with the "non-mixed" systemd method and there the same problem appears. Though the ~/.xinitrc is identical with the desktop's one and I also tried to add the kernel parameters line in GRUB, the problem keeps appearing there. Does anybody have a hint what could be wrong?

Thanks again,
PhotonX


Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad X200 Tablet, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

Offline

#8 2012-11-23 15:29:25

PhotonX
Member
From: Munich
Registered: 2008-08-10
Posts: 430

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

Another bit of information:

$ loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID | grep Active
Active=no

But what to do to fix it?

$ ls -l /etc/systemd/system/
insgesamt 28
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1591 31. Aug 22:54 autologin@.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   36  2. Sep 10:01 dbus-org.wicd.daemon.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/wicd.service
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096  2. Sep 10:04 getty.target.wants
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096  4. Sep 13:29 graphical.target.wants
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 25. Okt 02:39 local-fs.target.wants
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 28. Okt 07:05 multi-user.target.wants
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 25. Okt 02:39 sysinit.target.wants
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  157  1. Sep 19:28 tpfand.service

Maybe the autologin@.service doesn't work properly?

$ cat /etc/systemd/system/autologin\@.service 
#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.

[Unit]
Description=Getty on %I
Documentation=man:agetty(8)
After=systemd-user-sessions.service plymouth-quit-wait.service
After=rc-local.service

# If additional gettys are spawned during boot then we should make
# sure that this is synchronized before getty.target, even though
# getty.target didn't actually pull it in.
Before=getty.target
IgnoreOnIsolate=yes

# On systems without virtual consoles, don't start any getty. (Note
# that serial gettys are covered by serial-getty@.service, not this
# unit
ConditionPathExists=/dev/tty0

[Service]
Environment=TERM=linux
# the VT is cleared by TTYVTDisallocate
ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty --noclear -a photon %I 38400
Type=idle
Restart=always
RestartSec=0
UtmpIdentifier=%I
TTYPath=/dev/%I
TTYReset=yes
TTYVHangup=yes
TTYVTDisallocate=yes
KillMode=process
IgnoreSIGPIPE=no

# Unset locale for the console getty since the console has problems
# displaying some internationalized messages.
Environment=LANG= LANGUAGE= LC_CTYPE= LC_NUMERIC= LC_TIME= LC_COLLATE= LC_MONETARY= LC_MESSAGES= LC_PAPER= LC_NAME= LC_ADDRESS= LC_TELEPHONE= LC_MEASUREMENT= LC_IDENTIFICATION=

# Some login implementations ignore SIGTERM, so we send SIGHUP
# instead, to ensure that login terminates cleanly.
KillSignal=SIGHUP

[Install]
Alias=getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service

Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad X200 Tablet, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

Offline

#9 2012-11-23 15:57:35

WonderWoofy
Member
From: Los Gatos, CA
Registered: 2012-05-19
Posts: 8,412

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

There are a number of threads discussing this issue around these forums.  When you say you apparently use an autologin@.service, how are you then starting X (or xfce4)?  Are you simply typing 'startx' or 'xinit' into the console after autologin?  Or do you have something launching it for you?  Or are you autologging in, but still using a display manager?

If you are using something in your bashrc to start X, then what is it you are using?  Do you have a ~/.xserverrc file? If so what is in it?

When you start X does it start on the same tty as you get autologged in to?  Or does it start it on the next terminal over?

Do you like red, blue, or green m&m's?  How long is your left pinky toe?  Where are my pants?

Offline

#10 2012-11-23 16:44:29

PhotonX
Member
From: Munich
Registered: 2008-08-10
Posts: 430

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

WonderWoofy wrote:

Do you like red, blue, or green m&m's?  How long is your left pinky toe?  Where are my pants?

YMMD. big_smile

Concerning the other questions: I'm using a simple ~/.xinitrc file

$ cat ~/.xinitrc
#!/bin/bash
exec startxfce4

Everything else seems to be managed by the autologin@.service and systemd.


Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad X200 Tablet, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

Offline

#11 2012-11-23 16:45:05

fschiff
Member
Registered: 2011-10-06
Posts: 71

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

your pants are on your head

Offline

#12 2012-11-25 12:48:05

PhotonX
Member
From: Munich
Registered: 2008-08-10
Posts: 430

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

Problem still persists, is there any further information I should provide?


Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad X200 Tablet, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

Offline

#13 2012-11-25 12:51:14

65kid
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2011-01-26
Posts: 663

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

65kid wrote:

Also, you can and should remove dbus-launch. It is autolaunched from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*, provided you use the .xinitrc from /etc/skel/.

Offline

#14 2012-11-25 13:18:17

PhotonX
Member
From: Munich
Registered: 2008-08-10
Posts: 430

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

Sorry, I have overseen this comment. Unfortunately using the .xinitrc from /etc/skel (with "exec startxfce4" as last line) didn't change anything.


Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad X200 Tablet, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

Offline

#15 2012-11-25 13:21:51

65kid
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2011-01-26
Posts: 663

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

PhotonX wrote:

Sorry, I have overseen this comment. Unfortunately using the .xinitrc from /etc/skel (with "exec startxfce4" as last line) didn't change anything.

how do you actually start X? you should use startx, not xinit.

Offline

#16 2012-11-25 13:27:22

PhotonX
Member
From: Munich
Registered: 2008-08-10
Posts: 430

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

X is started automatically on boot by an autologin .service file, see also https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1197465


Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad X200 Tablet, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

Offline

#17 2012-11-25 13:29:34

65kid
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2011-01-26
Posts: 663

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

PhotonX wrote:

X is started automatically on boot by an autologin .service file, see also https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1197465

this service file only logs you in automatically, it doesn't start X. Post your ~/.bash_profile.

see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_Login

Offline

#18 2012-11-25 13:40:27

PhotonX
Member
From: Munich
Registered: 2008-08-10
Posts: 430

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

Aah, ok, haven't done any configuration for too long. smile In the .bash_profile indeed xinit is called, with startx everything is back to normal again. Big thanks for your assistance! Is there any reason why xinit causes such problems? Shouldn't it be used in future at all or will it be adapted to work properly without consolekit in the future?

Thanks again,
PhotonX


Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad X200 Tablet, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

Offline

#19 2012-11-25 13:46:48

65kid
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2011-01-26
Posts: 663

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

PhotonX wrote:

Aah, ok, haven't done any configuration for too long. smile In the .bash_profile indeed xinit is called, with startx everything is back to normal again. Big thanks for your assistance! Is there any reason why xinit causes such problems? Shouldn't it be used in future at all or will it be adapted to work properly without consolekit in the future?

Thanks again,
PhotonX

to be honest, I have no idea what  the exact relation between startx and xinit is and in what case you would want to use xinit, so I can't really comment on that. wink

Offline

#20 2012-11-26 12:21:22

PhotonX
Member
From: Munich
Registered: 2008-08-10
Posts: 430

Re: [Solved] Switch to logind makes some trouble

No matter, the most important thing is that it works now and I learned not to use xinit any more. smile


Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad X200 Tablet, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB