You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-05 04:45:47

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Conflicting packages --> what-to-do?

Code "pacman -Qi <package-name>" displays information on a given package. The header "Conflicts With" shows if the package conflicts with any packages. If conflicts are found, what are we suppose to do? For my information, how does conflicts occur?

Example:
When I run pkgsweeper, it found the following conflicting packages:

iputils --> conflicts with : arping
module-init-tools --> conflicts with : modutils
mozilla --> conflicts with : mozilla-include

According to "pacman -Q arping" the package doesn't exist. But the program does exist.

[root@localhost root]# whereis arping
arping: /usr/sbin/arping /usr/man/man8/arping.8.gz

Package Sweeper:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=2187

Markku

#2 2004-01-05 05:58:05

jlvsimoes
Website

Re: Conflicting packages --> what-to-do?

i was k but as i said the arping is owned by iputils so there is no problem with the pkgs becouse there is no real comflict

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GU/ d- s: a- C L U P+ L+++ E--- W+
N 0+ K- W-- !O !M V-- PS+ PE- V++ PGP T 5 Z+ R* TV+ B+
DI-- D- G-- e-- h! r++ z+ z*
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

#3 2004-01-05 10:01:24

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I also thought the same. But the actual question was "what-to-do" if there is a conflict. In general, what does the "Conflict With" means..... is it a missing package??

Markku

#4 2004-01-05 10:11:24

andy

Disclaimer : I haven't used pkgsweeper yet.

But anyways :-) ... I don't think the conflicts are a problem <b> as long as you have not installed both packages</b>. It simply means, don't install both packages that conflict. And in fact, pacman won't let you install conflicting packages (maybe you can force it really hard somehow).

My take on this output : too much information :-) ... it is only useful if accidently both packages are installed. Then your best choice is - generally - deinstall both, and reinstall the one you want (if that is possible).

And one more bit of information : there actually do exist or existed the confliciting packages arping, modutils etc. The conflicts are simply introduced so that pacman can remove them once you install iputils etc.

#5 2004-01-06 02:51:38

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I am concluding about the Pkg Sweeper's "Check Package Conflicts" function, how the search scrpt is written currently, its better to remove to not confuse the user.... to avoid complaining users on this forum smile. I may take a second look at the search if it can be modified to find "real" conflicts.

Markku

#6 2004-01-10 19:29:35

sarah31
Website

from the output i see in your first post it looks as though you may have been doing some package forcing. when you force packages you can run into conflicts where some old features of old apps are still there while the new package is actually the one in the db.

be very careful with forcing and consider forcing when you are making the warnings for this sweeper app.

a good idea for an app though.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer