You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-02 07:48:06

Zaradrak

[Solved] Newbie installing Arch. Failing and not sure why.

SUMMARY AT BOTTOM

Hello, I'm keep trying to install arch linux for the first time onto my machine and have well... failed multiple times. I've been lurking through the post, but I've never found anything helpful as of yet. So I'd like to ask you if you could give me just a little help.

I the same warnings from pacman while trying to install anything, only while in my mounted /mnt partitions from arch-chroot. Warrning is as follows

warning: could not get filesystem information for /run/archiso/bootmnt : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /run/archiso/cowspace : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /run/archiso/sfs/root-image : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /run/archiso/sfs/usr-lib-modules : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /run/archiso/sfs/usr-share : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/memory : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/devices : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio : No such file or directory

It does seem to work, but I would like to know if someone can explain why during the install I'm getting these warnings?

There is another problem that occurs while installing grub, but since it may be related I'll post about it later. When someone can explain this or tell me how bad my install is looking so for.

Edit: Better title; Info about grub failing.

Last edited by Zaradrak (2012-11-02 21:50:41)

#2 2012-11-02 10:49:31

Vixus

Re: [Solved] Newbie installing Arch. Failing and not sure why.

In what ways does the install fail? I got these same warnings from pacman after chrooting into /mnt and just ignored them.

#3 2012-11-02 16:59:42

Zaradrak

Ok, I get to installing grub and then once again get warnings and an error. I'm fairly certian my board is not (U)EFI (Crosshair iii formula) so the standard install should be fine.

/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple parition labels. This is not supported yet..
/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklist. However, blocklist are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

I'm fairly certain this is the only problem left it could be. Btw in my fstab file, I have set the root partition '/' to have a <pass> of 1.

#4 2012-11-02 17:23:45

ackt1c
Banned

I also receive these, and ignore them as everything processes correctly.

#5 2012-11-02 17:33:35

Zaradrak

Ok... I proceeded when I try and boot up I just get a '_' blinking continual.

#6 2012-11-02 17:48:01

DSpider

Does the bootloader menu show up?

Which bootloader?

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#7 2012-11-02 17:53:12

Zaradrak

No, a bootloader menu doesn't not show up. I simply get '_' without anything. Possibly a problem with my configuration file perhaps? I'm currnetly reading the Grub section in the wiki

#8 2012-11-02 18:46:17

bgc1954

From the error you got when installing grub, it looks like your trying to install grub to your root partition and not the MBR.  Pay particular attention to the section in the grub wiki on installing to a partition.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#9 2012-11-02 20:21:03

Zaradrak

ok, I was just going through what the beginner's guide. I went to get lunch, so I'll continue down that route now and post anything different if it happens.

#10 2012-11-02 21:49:58

Zaradrak

Well... after reading much and finally getting upset enough to think that I'll just force it and deal with the consequence of probably having to recreate again, appending the --force worked.

So for anyone else who is curious and runs across this post here is what has been learned:

warning: could not get filesystem information for /run/archiso/bootmnt : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /run/archiso/cowspace : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /run/archiso/sfs/root-image : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /run/archiso/sfs/usr-lib-modules : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /run/archiso/sfs/usr-share : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/memory : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/devices : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls : No such file or directory
warning: could not get filesystem information for /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio : No such file or directory

Ok to ignore, and just proceed with install.

/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple parition labels. This is not supported yet..
/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklist. However, blocklist are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

Not sure what causes this, but attempt

grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck --debug --force /dev/sda

Before you get very crazy, as a simple reinstall takes little time and this may solve your issue.

Edit; Grammar

Last edited by Zaradrak (2012-11-02 21:51:23)

#11 2012-11-02 22:28:13

DSpider

Yeah, don't install GRUB to a partition. You need to install it to the whole drive (i.e. to the MBR).

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … Guide#GRUB

Last edited by DSpider (2012-11-02 22:30:31)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#12 2012-11-02 22:36:07

nomorewindows

You'd only install grub to a partition if you had another bootloader which you intend to chainload to.  Most operating system load their bootloader embedded with the operating system, but grub replaces the headache of changing the boot flag.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer