You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-15 15:34:04

gaah

how to set mime-types?

I'm wondering how to set icon mime types... I guess this would depend on which file browser is being used... I use nautilus under icewm, any ideas?

#2 2005-10-15 16:12:00

mezoko
Website

Re: how to set mime-types?

I would also like to know this.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

#3 2005-10-15 18:10:09

smoon
Website

That's one thing I'm interested in as well. I know of mailcap ($HOME/.mailcap and /etc/mailcap) which seems to be the way mutt and many other programs look up what to do with what mime type. A line in it could be

image/*; feh '%s'

to open all image files with feh. It's possible to do some tests (check if X is running for example), but I don't exactly understand the syntax and was not able to find any useful documentation about it so far.

I also got /etc/mime.types which I'm not sure of what it's purpose is. Then I asked Google and found this thread on a Debian Mailinglist about Gnome and mimetypes. Looks like Gnome has it's own way of doing mime related things.

Maybe anyone can shed some more light in this?

#4 2005-10-16 05:48:08

Cam
Website

Dibble has a nice app to create/edit MIME types in his repo. It's a ROX-based app I think so I don't know how cross-whatever it'll be. I use ROX and I've set up MIME types for pacman packages among other things and it works fine smile

#5 2005-10-17 15:45:13

gaah

I tried this and that and finally I got it working! I downloaded control-center via pacman which is the gnome controls. And then I copied my theme folder to /usr/share/icons and then I could chose from the list. Now I have the right icons and the right gtk theme, thanks to gnome control center, but I don't have gnome! isn't it amazing? :-D

But how to do this by hand I still have no idea... But that maybe doesn't matter.. And this workes for nautilus only (that I can see), rox filer didn't like the icons, maybe the mime names are wrong but... Doesn't matter that either since I use nautilus!

Board footer