You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-03 08:39:37

Gallaecio
Website

KVM — Install ArchLinux as guest

I am trying to install Arch Linux as guest (Chakra host), using the 2012-11-01 ISO.

First I followed the instructions in the installation guide. When I finished and I booted from the disk, I got the message “Booting from Hard Disk…”, and it got stuck there.

Then I found the instructions to prepare an Arch Linux guest.

I tried to fix the existing installation by regenerating the linux images with the right mkinitcpio, regenerating /etc/fstab using UUIDs, and regenerating the GRUB config file too. But I got the same message at boot, beyond which the system would not go.

Then I repeated the installation from the beginning, formatting the virtual disk, and mixing the instructions in the installation guide with those for preparing the Arch Linux guest for KVM. These are the steps of the installation guide that I did differently:

• Generated the fstab with the -U option to use UUIDs:

genfstab -pU /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
  • In /etc/mkinitcpio.conf defined the following modules before generationg the initial RAM disk (including virtio for x86_64):

MODULES="virtio virtio_blk virtio_pci virtio_net virtio_ring"

But after reboot, I got the same message. Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss a step? Do I have to do anything on the host?

To be noted that, contrary to what the KVM documentation states, in my system the virtual disk was correctly detected as sda, not as vda (because of GRUB2?).

---

On a side note: Congratulations to the team. The last time I had installed ArchLinux it had an installer, and the installation was a bit difficult and long for me, but I managed to do it and it was definitely worth it. Now, even without the old installer, the installation process has become quicker and easier, and it’s perfectly covered by the documentation, as always. KISS++

#2 2012-11-03 13:10:02

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: KVM — Install ArchLinux as guest

If sdxy nodes and not vdxy nodes are being created, it's because you're not starting the VM with virtio block devices. It has absolutely nothing to do with your bootloader.

No comment on the error you're getting because I've no idea from your description what's generating the message.

#3 2012-11-03 15:18:54

Gallaecio
Website

Re: KVM — Install ArchLinux as guest

Thanks, I mistakenly had used either ide or scsi. However, repeating the process with virtio and /dev/vda1 did not change the final result.

Board footer