You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-04 16:11:58

dontbugme
Banned
Website

Laptops and HD video playback

What laptop one should buy if playing hd videos is must? What are the things to look for and what to avoid?

#2 2012-11-04 16:19:34

Gusar

Re: Laptops and HD video playback

Avoid: Nvidia Optimus. Radeon.
Look for: Nvidia where Optimus is optional (too bad it isn't written anywhere if it's optional). Intel.

So, basically, your best bet is something with Intel-only graphics.

#3 2012-11-04 16:56:02

ernetas

Gusar wrote:

Avoid: Nvidia Optimus. Radeon.
Look for: Nvidia where Optimus is optional (too bad it isn't written anywhere if it's optional). Intel.

So, basically, your best bet is something with Intel-only graphics.

What's wrong with Optimus? I read that there will be a driver soon?

#4 2012-11-04 18:49:20

Gusar

ernetas wrote:

What's wrong with Optimus?

It only works for OpenGL (not VDPAU, which is what you need for hardware video decoding) and even then only using a hack.

ernetas wrote:

I read that there will be a driver soon?

That article is internet "journalism" at it's finest. Or to say it another way - it's total bullshit: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-71 … ml#7163006

#5 2012-11-05 06:50:23

WonderWoofy

I have an ivy bridge i5 3210M, and the HD4000 is actually pretty impressive.  Certainly not the same integrated gpu's of yesteryear.  I went for an Intel based machine specifically for Linux compatibility, and I love the fact that it saves me from a billion headaches and buggy binary blobs.  I have an AMD/Nvidia desktop, and it is just so much more finnicky than my Intel Thinkpad.

#6 2012-11-06 15:33:17

ernetas

Gusar wrote:
ernetas wrote:

What's wrong with Optimus?

It only works for OpenGL (not VDPAU, which is what you need for hardware video decoding) and even then only using a hack.

Could you elaborate? I have a shitty 520 M, but it's with Optimus and VDPAU and both seem to be working.

Gusar wrote:
ernetas wrote:

I read that there will be a driver soon?

That article is internet "journalism" at it's finest. Or to say it another way - it's total bullshit: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-71 … ml#7163006

Anyways... I would find it very awkward if after Valve's statement about plans for Ubuntu, NVIDIA would continue doing such non-existant development under Linux.

#7 2012-11-06 15:44:40

Gusar

ernetas wrote:

Could you elaborate? I have a shitty 520 M, but it's with Optimus and VDPAU and both seem to be working.

Do they work or do they "seem" to work? Which player do you use, how is it configured, and how do you start it?

ernetas wrote:

Anyways... I would find it very awkward if after Valve's statement about plans for Ubuntu, NVIDIA would continue doing such non-existant development under Linux.

Did you read the stuff I linked to? That "anyways" leads me to think you haven't. The problem is not Nvidia. It's the kernel devs not giving them access to dma-buf. And without dma-buf, Nvidia can't support Optimus.

#8 2012-11-06 16:02:31

ernetas

Gusar wrote:
ernetas wrote:

Do they work or do they "seem" to work? Which player do you use, how is it configured, and how do you start it?

mplayer, with a command line, of course. VLC is doing only 2 times better, while mplayer reduces CPU usage by ~10x.

Gusar wrote:
ernetas wrote:

Did you read the stuff I linked to? That "anyways" leads me to think you haven't. The problem is not Nvidia. It's the kernel devs not giving them access to dma-buf. And without dma-buf, Nvidia can't support Optimus.

I did it twice, now. And I still don't understand why can't they use dma-buf for developing their drivers. The problem is in licensing?.. But who _would_ get them to court for this? Who did for any other infringements?

EDIT: I realize that you probably won't believe me, so here's a video: http://youtu.be/no7U9yht8sc?hd=1

Last edited by ernetas (2012-11-06 16:09:31)

#9 2012-11-06 16:06:25

David Batson

Of course display technology and resolution is important.  IPS displays have better color resolution and wider viewing angles than TN displays.  You should try to get something with a display resolution that gives a higher pixel density.  See following for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_d … resolution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_density

#10 2012-11-06 16:23:07

Gusar

ernetas wrote:

mplayer, with a command line, of course. [...] I realize that you probably won't believe me, so here's a video

No optirun or anything similar? Means you're *not* in Optimus mode, you have a hardware mux that is currently set to Nvidia.

ernetas wrote:

The problem is in licensing?

Yes, the problem is licensing. dma-buf symbols are available only to GPL modules.

ernetas wrote:

But who _would_ get them to court for this? Who did for any other infringements?

A big corporation like Nvidia can't afford to play games. They cannot willfully go against the rules in the hope that no one will bother to sue them. Alan Cox, the biggest opponent of Nvidia getting access to dma-buf, works for Intel. So that's a potential "who".

#11 2012-11-06 20:30:22

ernetas

Gusar wrote:
ernetas wrote:

mplayer, with a command line, of course. [...] I realize that you probably won't believe me, so here's a video

No optirun or anything similar? Means you're *not* in Optimus mode, you have a hardware mux that is currently set to Nvidia.

True. But everything else apart Optimus works just fine. Why then Intel, not NVIDIA?

#12 2012-11-07 01:46:09

Gusar

ernetas wrote:

True. But everything else apart Optimus works just fine. Why then Intel, not NVIDIA?

Dude, seriously? Sorry to be rude, but when the answers are already there...

Avoid: Nvidia Optimus
Look for: Nvidia where Optimus is optional (too bad it isn't written anywhere if it's optional)l

Optimus only works for OpenGL (not VDPAU, which is what you need for hardware video decoding) and even then only using a hack.

Last edited by Gusar (2012-11-07 01:52:35)

Board footer