#1 2012-11-04 23:41:58

ismaelvc

Cant start fbpdf from AUR

Hi there you guys!

I get this error when I try to open a pdf:

fbpdf: fbval_t doesn't match fb depth

here seems to be the relevant code.

http://repo.or.cz/w/fbpdf.git/blob/1ae6 … d:/fbpdf.c

I'm starting to learn python from edx.org MITx course, but I klnow nothing about C yet.

Apparently this error came from this function:

int main(int argc, char *argv[])

inside int main() (in line 261):

if (FBM_BPP(fb_mode()) != sizeof(fbval_t))
fprintf(stderr, "fbpdf: fbval_t doesn't match fb depth\n");
else
mainloop();

I have been unalbe to set up X correctly to run a DE but I have managed with links in framebuffer, claws, vlc ncurses, mocp, ranger and such but I really need to keep studying and reading PDFs is a must for me, I will greatly apreciate your help! smile

Laptop: LG LM70 Express                                                  Kernel: 3.14.2-1-ARCH   
CPU: Intel Pentium M processor @1.86GHz                  Hard Drive: 80G
Video: Mobility Radeon X600                                            X Driver: xf86-video-ati
Memory Size: 1.5G + zramswap: 384M + swap: 3G

#2 2012-11-06 14:41:54

ismaelvc

Re: Cant start fbpdf from AUR

I recieved an email from the fbpdf dev, where he answers me:

Ali:

You should know your framebuffer depth.  If you are NOT using a 32-bit
framebuffer you should change fbval_t typedef in doc.h:

* For 16-bit framebuffers change it to unsigned short
* For 8-bit framebuffers change it to unsigned char

Does it work now?

I'm still trying to figure out how to know the current depth of my framebuffer, but even when I find it I'm not sure how to edit the mentioned file, any suggestions? wink

Laptop: LG LM70 Express                                                  Kernel: 3.14.2-1-ARCH   
Video: Mobility Radeon X600                                            X Driver: xf86-video-ati

#3 2012-11-06 18:12:52

rix

Hi,

I don't know quite anything about framebuffer's depth but I think you'd just try.

I've never seen the doc.h file you've mentioned above, but I know that unsigned short and char are C variables types. So open the file with your editor of choice, and change the fbval_t type as dev's suggested to you.

At least give it a try and don't forget that Google is your friend.
Oh, and good luck for your studies. I'm in the same condition of you. smile

---
Edit:

Sorry for the ot, but are Edx's lessons video courses? I can't understand it from its portal.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by rix (2012-11-06 18:32:41)

#4 2012-11-06 22:09:20

ismaelvc

Yes among other type of tools, I think its excelent!

I suggest you to create an account and login, I recommend MITx course and Harvardx one both are for beginners, it's free so don't worry, once you check out and suscribe to a course, you can read the sillabus, etc. there are exams and projects, but frankly I just use it to study on my own, I don't have time for the tasks, etc, at least not to make it on time on the dead lines, anyway, Its the bet resource I,ve found by far , If you don't like it just unsuscribe.

But really give it a try!! wink

EDIT: the best thing is the community around it, its active, realtime, and the teachers are brilliant!, high quality education for free thanks edx!!

EDIT2: they also have subtitles in a lot of languages for all their videos.

Last edited by ismaelvc (2012-11-06 22:14:18)

#5 2012-11-06 22:15:01

rix

Many thanks mate. Really. wink | Edit: also for reading pdf's in a tty with $TERM set to linux, you'd try fbida (which includes fbgs the one you need). Hope this will help you and sorry for this post's syntax but I can't use return in my Nokia N8. smile

Last edited by rix (2012-11-06 22:35:22)

#6 2012-11-06 22:17:58

ismaelvc

this is doc.h

[fbpdf.git] / doc.h
   1 /* framebuffer depth */
   2 typedef unsigned int fbval_t;
   4 /* optimized version of fb_val() */
   5 #define FB_VAL(r, g, b) fb_val((r), (g), (b))
   7 struct doc *doc_open(char *path);
   8 int doc_pages(struct doc *doc);
   9 int doc_draw(struct doc *doc, int page, int zoom, int rotate,
  10                 fbval_t *bitmap, int *rows, int *cols);
  11 void doc_close(struct doc *doc);

EDIT: Ok so line #2 is the one that need editing, but does any one know the default framebuffer depth in arch linux or is it hardware dependent? I have to say I love to have this feature, now I can actually do serious work on the gettys, without it fonts are too big, just add tmux to the mix and it's almost like the perfect no X setup yay!! I've already made videos work but pdfs are like the last one of my needs, and with these specs:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           372        366          6          0         20        172
-/+ buffers/cache:        172        200
Swap:          372          0        372

(372 of wap are from zramswap)

Is just what I needed, although trinity is really good on this old laptop I still want to make this program work, for geeks sake! big_smile

Last edited by ismaelvc (2012-11-06 22:28:18)

#7 2012-11-06 22:29:16

rix

So have you tried to change the

[...] typedef unsigned int fbval_t; [...]

? | Edit: really sorry I can't help with framebuffer depth you know. Btw can you watch videos with Vlc in Tmux running in framebuffer?

Last edited by rix (2012-11-06 22:34:00)

#8 2012-11-06 22:35:03

ismaelvc

I've made it work using feh, learned it from the inx live cd:

http://inx.maincontent.net/

but it takes a long time and I think MuPDF is better for this, (that is if it behaves the same on the tty as it does under X)

Thanks for fbida suggstion I will also try that and see which one is the ultimate pdf viewer for tty. wink

#9 2012-11-06 22:43:29

ismaelvc

I use mplayer to play videos in the tty, but I can't do it inside tmux.

Also links -g (you need gpm running) doesnt work inside a tmux prompt, but both work in a normal tty, since you have 6 by default I think there is no problem, but there also must be a way to make it work under tmux (just cheking not even the scrollback works in tmux (SHIFT+PG_UP/PG_DOWN), if you have various splitted terminals)

Did I expalined myself correctly in the last paragraph?, If you dont understood me I'll try to explain myself better.

I know there is a ncurses interface for vlc, but never used it I will try it tonight!

#10 2012-11-06 22:54:01

rix

You was clear my friend and I surely could tell you that you can (maybe) see videos with Vlc in tty and in Tmux with Mplayer and also read pdf's in tty easily with fbida (I use fbpdf in Tmux). I can't give you details right now because it's night right here, but tomorrow I'll do. We apparently use Arch in the same way for the same purpose and it's a pleasure can give you an help. wink

#11 2012-11-06 23:17:09

ismaelvc

Thanks a lot rix!! I really apreciate your help dude!

Using arch this way has taught me a lot about programming and bash, etc. and I really love it, I also love desktop environments (kde) and for coding productivity goomwwm!! (window manager), but this feeling I get when I can do almost all I need in the tty and with total comfort, still amazes me! and makes for a better no distraction environment. I still have lots to learn (sed, awk, c) but next year I finally get to start university and guess what I'd like to be? lol

EDIT: Just to clarify from my first post I use vlc ncurses to play music (somafm) but havent tried videos, right now I'm not at home but will try latter, and also I managed to run trinity in the end, but still I love the whole INX concept, I also want to setup my raspberry pi this way + KDE , when it arrives yaaaay!!

#12 2012-11-07 10:10:23

rix

Good morning dude. smile
You're very welcome. We love Arch in the same way. big_smile

Few differents are that I can't go to Uni and I don't know Python. Neither Sed and Awk. But I know C syntax and Bash.
Oh, and when I'm not in tty (so just for using a better browser), I use Dwm from long time now.

Ok then, for videos I used to use Nvlc which comes with Vlc. There are other cli interface for it but I think this one is more usable.
But now (I can't get why) it just works in tty. In Tmux it renders every videos with libcaca. I think I've tried everything.
So I've passed to Mplayer because everyone know about its framebuffer support and I launch it with

mplayer -vo fbdev2 <file>

for normal video's sizes and with

mplayer -vo fbdev2 -fs -zoom -xy 1280 <file>

for fullscreen.

Then for pdf's you know I used to use fbida and it's excellent but it doesn't work in Tmux.
We'd say another program exist. I don't remember the name and can't get it compiling thou.
Now I use fbpdf from Aur. There is a thread in this board.

For images I use fbv and fbi.

As browser W3m for inline images and Elinks for the hints feautures.

Mutt for mail and Vim as editor and for coding. Rtorrent-color for torrents.

If you need some config's or spec's just ask and let me know.

---
Edit:

I'm now registered on Edx's portal but I just see nine courses. How does it work? What am I missing, where's other ones?
Thanks so much.

Last edited by rix (2012-11-09 21:28:39)

#13 2012-11-09 15:27:15

ismaelvc

Thanks dude!

and sorry for the late responce ... exams are making me go crazy!!

I sadly broke my arch install after trying to make direct rendering work, (mach64, just get a black screen), I officially give up on that, and will reinstall arch again today, now I can perform the install process without a hitch lol.

I will set it up for complete use of the fremebuffer (where possible .. at least thats the goal lol) and cli programms, and a minimal goomwwm desktop for when in need of GUI multi-tasking, but I'm also thinking that instead of using a minimmal desktop I can in theory start a program in another X instance, I remember doing this with games that go full screen (urban-terror), It may be wotrth to try to use the web browser this way, (one in which we can use flash, etc. but still lightweight like netsurf).

I don't remember the command but basically you just select another tty in which to run it, I will try to figure it out again after re-installing arch (I have to make a record of those usefull but nearly unused commands somewhere!)

This way one just switches with CTRL+ALT+F{1...7}, to the next graphical application without the overhead of window manager or desktop environment, usefull only if one knows wont be needing 20 more graphic apps running at the same time, if not then just fire up goomwwm (or your DE/WM of choice).

Another thing I'm noticing is that arch live-cd opens the ttys on demand this can save some memory too, but I also wish to know if its possible to have more thatn 6 tty open at one time, that and finding a way to make tmux work with framebuffer programs, I will try to tackle down all this over the weekend.

That and to finally finish reading all systemd related wiki articles, I thank you for your help again my friend!

Have a nice day.

NOTE: So you did try edx!! Have you figured it out by now? if not just feel free to ask again and I will try to help you too big_smile

Last edited by ismaelvc (2012-11-09 15:30:16)

#14 2012-11-09 21:53:58

rix

ismaelvc wrote:

Thanks dude! [...]

You're really welcome and don't worry for the delay. smile

ismaelvc wrote:

[...] I will set it up for complete use of the fremebuffer [...]

If needing help, you know I (and we) am here.

ismaelvc wrote:

[...] but I'm also thinking that instead of using a minimmal desktop I can in theory start a program in another X instance, [...]

I love you. I've to admit it. big_smile
I never thought about it, it'd be a great idea I think.

---
Edit:
I tried to run (example) Firefox via .xinitrc, without Dwm from Tmux's consolle and it works but I can't see Tmux's statusbar and unable to use Firefox's menu.

ismaelvc wrote:

[...] It may be wotrth to try to use the web browser this way [...]

But how do you handle windows without a windows manager? Does browser's window maximize itself by... itself?

ismaelvc wrote:

[...] I thank you for your help again my friend! [...]

Thanks to you my friend. wink

ismaelvc wrote:

[...] NOTE: So you did try edx!! Have you figured it out by now?

Yeah I've tried it but I can find just nine courses. Where are others?

ismaelvc wrote:

[...] if not just feel free to ask [...]

Many, many thanks and have a nice day you too. smile

---
Edit:
Can I ask you why Goomwwm over Dwm?

Last edited by rix (2012-11-12 10:36:59)

#15 2012-11-16 01:39:33

ismaelvc

Sorry again for the late reply, there are 2 courses related to introductory computer science, have you tried them yet, there are 9 courses as of now in edx but not all are computer related, still there are also  other 4 courses not intended to beginners all by Berkleyx; 2 of them aobut Saas, another about AI, and onother for introduction into computer graphics.

I am in both MITx's and Harvardx's computer science introductory courses. ( I have cheked and Harvardx's one has subtitles in Italian, MITx's one only in english

This is how EDx MITx looks:

instant_nea2.jpg

by the way to start a program in another tty:

xinit /usr/bin/okular -- :1
xinit /usr/bin/prboom -- :2
xinit /usr/bin/qupzilla -- :3

I noticed that the program must have ended in a maximized state previously in another DE or WM (goomwwm in my case) if not the window only ocupies the last size it had, but for example, I mostly only use the web browser in this one, so I've set it up to startx without any window mangaer and only executing qupzilla(web browser), if for some reason last time I used my WM the browser window size wasnt maximized the only way then to make it use all screen state is by using F11 (in this example prboom already startx fullscreen allways, and ocular and many other programs can also become fullscreen with F11 like shortcut), but for example if then I want to play and read a pdf I just issuse the same command but in another screen ( -- :4) and instead of window manager you just then use CTRL+ALT+F{1, ..., 9} to change between them, as I said its only useful if you will have some graphical program running but the rest of your work is being done in CLI, this is the way I use least RAM.(without buffers) 

I see there is an interesting book about tmux called:

tmux, productive mouse free development.  I think is from the pragmatic bookshelf

Also I have tried many tilling WM but goomwwm easy configuration won my heart, also this whole idea of tilling makes sense to me, but I never liked automatic tilling, goomwwm is a manual tiller, should you feel like trying it don't forget to visit:

http://aerosuidae.net/goomwwm/tutorial

#16 2012-11-16 10:51:31

rix

ismaelvc wrote:

[...] there are 2 courses [...]

Got it my friend. I was just thinking there was more courses.
Such a great project anyway. Thanks to you I'm trying it as "Introduction to computer Science and Programming". smile

ismaelvc wrote:

[...] I am in both MITx's [...]

We can say we are colleques so. big_smile

ismaelvc wrote:

[...] I have cheked and Harvardx's one has subtitles in Italian, [...]

You had care of to check my mother tongue, and to check if there is a translation for me on Edx.
Speechless. Just thanks! Really. smile
By the way I'm quite good in english so I understand it, but I still need practice with speaking.
I understand without problem texts but not so much talking people and in such case subtitles help a lot.

ismaelvc wrote:

[...] by the way to start a program in another tty: [...]

I'll try and let you know.

---
Edit:
Tried and Firefox works in the same way as started with a statement in .xinitrc. Still with a broken menu that continues to disappear when invoked.
---

Many thanks again, I really appreciate your suggestions.

ismaelvc wrote:

[...] prboom [...]

I play to it too. big_smile And I'm also stuck in one level... sad ... and have just three wad files.

ismaelvc wrote:

[...] Also I have tried many tilling WM but goomwwm [...]

Thanks for clarify. wink

Last edited by rix (2012-11-16 11:28:44)

Board footer