You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-16 20:13:28

mr_brightside

Lonely male seeks live transparency terminal for good times

Is there a terminal out there that has live transparency capabilities? Having investigated Eterm, 9term, WTerm, XTerm, Aterm... [list continues]..., I am yet to find one capable of anything better than pseudo-transparency.

I'm looking for something that, when you move it, will not simply retain its last 'transparency' background, and then when in its new position will suddenly switch to the new, 'transparent' background. I want something that continually updates its background, to give an impression of true transparency.

Any clues?

#2 2005-10-16 20:18:59

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Lonely male seeks live transparency terminal for good times

maybe you would be interested in the Xcomposite extensions?

Dusty

#3 2005-10-16 20:41:25

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

an impression of true transparency

That's psuedo transparency - which all the terms do but you obviously don't like.  You want real transparency which can only be achieved with xcomposite, as Dusty already pointed out smile

#4 2005-10-16 20:47:43

mr_brightside

right-o, cheers Dusty and DTW, I'll go check out the wiki for that.

#5 2005-10-16 20:57:57

mr_brightside

OK, I've followed the guide in the wiki, and I do

transset 0

and then click the crosshair on a window, and nothing happens. I've tried it on a few apps, and no effect.

I'm running the latest Openbox from the repositores.

What's wrong?

Edit: What a pillock, I didn't restart X, so the xorg.conf 'Extensions' alteration had not had any effect. Whooops!

OK, new problem. If I right-click over e.g. firefox, where the soft shadowing around the menu should appear, instead the background image of the desktop becomes visible in the shadow area, appearing through the firefox page. Similar problems with the dropdown menu for the address bar in firefox. Any ideas?

#6 2005-10-16 21:20:54

Gullible Jones

IIRC, gnome-terminal and KDE's terminal emulator both can take advantage of the Composite extension.

#7 2005-10-16 22:09:05

mr_brightside

Thanks for that info Gullible, although like I said, everything seems to be working now, just not very well. There are visible glitches all the time when one window is on top of another... is it normal to have such problems with the Xcomposite extension?

Also, when i run

xcompgr -c

as detailed in the wiki, I get a No composite extension error... I don't understand this, since I thought the extension was included in xorg? Am I missing something?

On a side note, having got my ATI drivers working perfectly a while ago, they suddenly stopped working recently... obviously any effects enabled using the composite extension will be better handled on the graphics card, so I wish to get it up and running again... I'd like to use the install script again from the ATI site, since that worked the first itme, but when i click download it takes me to a page telling me I've already got a system optimized for the drivers. Does anyone know if there's a way round this so I can dl the .sh file again?

#8 2005-10-16 23:09:51

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

is it normal to have such problems with the Xcomposite extension

Yes, it is merely a proof of concept at the moment i believe - sorry, mate!

#9 2005-10-17 00:03:10

mr_brightside

balls, ok, ta for the info DTW. I'll have to make do with the pseudo-transparency of rxvt and fix its position or something.

Board footer