You are not logged in.

#51 2012-10-20 09:18:47

Hwiparam

Re: udisksvm GUI UDisks wrapper without writing udev rules

@berbae, sorry for not replying, I've had a lot of work for the last couple of days so I could not test the new version. However, now I've upgraded the package from AUR and it mounts my mobile, as well as my mp3 player (which also could not be mounted with previous versions) and perhaps many other usb tools which I haven't tested yet. Thanks a lot!

#52 2012-10-21 08:36:16

berbae

Thanks Hwparam. Your feedbacks permitted me to improve udisksvm and to extend its functionality to more removable devices.

#53 2012-11-07 14:51:19

berbae

Under full systemd, I post these infos for udisksvm to work properly.

systemd-logind.service must be used,

and the consolekit package removed.

The command 'loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID' should output an 'Active=yes' line.

If using 'startx' to launch GUI, the ck-launch-session command should not be used;

for example to start openbox, I have in ~/.xinitrc :

exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session openbox-session

And startx is called at login from ~/.bash_profile by:

[[ -f ~/.bashrc ]] && . ~/.bashrc
[[ $XDG_VTNR == 1 ]] && startx &> ~/xsession.log

Furthermore the default configuration files are used unmodified for the polkit and udisks2 packages.

I have no permission problems using udisksvm like that.

Last edited by berbae (2012-11-07 14:52:33)

#54 2012-12-01 02:09:14

Trespasser

berbae,
Just joined archlinux forum so I could ask you this question. I'm running Cinnarch. Would it be possible to add a feature that would automatically call the file manager (Nemo, in my case) to open the just mounted usb drive, or call a movie player (smplayer, again, in my case) for an inserted DVD video? Or is it possible already with udisksvm?

New to Arch but not to Linux. I've been using Ubuntu since 2005. smile.

Thanks for any help on this.

Best regards.

Bob

#55 2012-12-01 19:44:39

Trespasser

berbae,
I've already got usb drives to open in Nemo (after automount, of course) by adding a line of code to udisksvm...

os.system("nemo '" + mountpath + "'")

right below...

print('Mounting done at mountpath:', mountpath)

at line 189. Works fine. smile. There's probably a better way to do it, but, hey, I'm new to python (bash I know pretty well).

I'm trying to figure out a way to distinguish between the different types of optical discs (data, video, etc.) so as to direct the appropriate application to be called (file manager...video player, etc).

Anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate some help.

Later...

Bob

#56 2012-12-03 16:18:22

berbae

Trespasser wrote:

Would it be possible to add a feature that would automatically call the file manager (Nemo, in my case) to open the just mounted usb drive, or call a movie player (smplayer, again, in my case) for an inserted DVD video? Or is it possible already with udisksvm?

This feature, though interesting, is not presently implemented in udisksvm; maybe I will add that feature one day...

For now I wanted to keep the script light and simple, with only these functions:
automount, which can be disabled,
mount/unmount or eject using the mouse in GUI?

I always thought that choosing what is done after that, is simple enough with one or two mouse clicks in a WM/DE environment or a graphical task bar, that I preferred not to manage that from inside udisksvm. After all, it is what the WM/DE or a task bar are made for.

But, of course, if you want to add commands to launch applis from it, you can edit the script to just accomplish that, as I see you began to do.

I will post again to give you suggestions on how I would integrate launching a command inside the script.

#57 2012-12-04 21:53:01

Trespasser

Thank you, berbae, for your reply. smile.

I've looked over the udisks2 documentation hoping to find a way to distinguish between the different types of optical disks (data, video, blank, etc.) and have so far added a section to your code for blank disks that calls my dvd/cd burner. Works fine. The only problem I have left is video (movies) and data disks. I can't find any python code section commands that allow me to distinguish between the two of them. Hopefully you can help me in that area.

Looking forward to your next post.

Best regards,

Bob

#58 2013-08-06 15:22:53

berbae

With the new 2.3.0 release of the udisksvm AUR package, I want to give some infos and comments.

Previously the automounting feature was enabled by default and disabled with the '-n', '--noauto' command line option;
now the automounting is disabled by default and enabled with the '-a', '--auto' command line option.

The reason is that when there are several partitions on an external disk, I don't think it good to mount them all by default.

The '-n', '--noauto' command line option is still recognized but not used anymore.

The new notification feature is enabled by default and can be disabled with the '-s', '--silent' command line option.

The 'notify-osd' package in extra is not configurable but there is the 'notify-osd-customizable' package in AUR which permits some
choices, like the position of the popup bubble on the screen. It can be find at:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/noti … tomizable/.

For the ntfs file system type, if the 'ntfs-3g' package is not installed, udisks2 will mount it read only;
if the 'ntfs-3g' package is installed, it will mount it read/write using the ntfs-3g driver by default.

For the ext2, ext3, ext4 file system types, the mount point will be 'drwxr-xr-x'  with 'root' owner/group;
to be able to use it read/write as user, it is necessary to first create under it a directory which is 'drwxr-xr-x' with users owner/group.

For example, I have a disk with an ext3 partition with the label 'linux'; when I mount it with the traydvm right-click menu, I get:

$ ls -l /run/media/berbae
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 25 juil. 16:03 linux

I created as root a 'berbae' directory under the 'linux' mount point, like that:

$ ls -l /run/media/berbae/linux
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 3 berbae users  4096 25 juil. 16:25 berbae
drwx------ 2 root   root  16384 24 juil. 16:34 lost+found

I now have read/write access to '/run/media/berbae/linux/berbae' directory.

Last edited by berbae (2013-08-07 09:40:22)

#59 2013-11-18 11:00:27

syamajala
Website

I made a slight modification to traydvm. If a device is mounted, then when you left click on the tray icon it will open a file browser at the mount point. https://github.com/syamajala/udisksvm

#60 2014-05-30 22:32:49

greenmanspirit

berbae wrote:

The new notification feature is enabled by default and can be disabled with the '-s', '--silent' command line optio.

Nice work, I love this project. I had a question about the new notifications. Is there a notification for automounting? I am not getting one but I do get one for mount and unmount. Thanks!

Last edited by greenmanspirit (2014-05-30 22:34:43)

#61 2014-06-02 20:40:44

berbae

@greenmanspirit
Thanks for your post.
There is no notification when the automounting feature operates, because I think the notification is rather intended to give a feedback after a manual user action, not an automatic one; but you can see the state of the device and its mount point inside the tooltip message, when the mouse hovers over the icon of the device.

#62 2014-10-30 10:27:12

berbae

As the Gnome developers decided to deprecate the Gtk.StatusIcon Gobject since Gtk3 3.14, I decided to use now the Qt5 QtWidgets.QSystemTrayIcon instead of Gtk.StatusIcon through the python-pyqt5 bindings package.

The release 2.5.0 still works with Gtk3 3.14, but I don't like to use deprecated things, which probably are soon to be removed in a future Gtk3 upgrade.
So I did the 2.6.0 release switching from Gtk3 to Qt5 now.

I like the balloon messages QSystemTrayIcon feature which render the use of a notification package unneeded.

I added a 'Close menu' choice to close the menu without choosing an action, from inside the menu rather than clicking outside it;
because clicking outside the menu renders the tray icon inactive until clicking again on it (if someone knows how to prevent this, I would be happy to read infos about that).

#63 2018-03-05 17:49:37

TobiPeter

berbae wrote:

As the Gnome developers decided to deprecate the Gtk.StatusIcon Gobject since Gtk3 3.14, I decided to use now the Qt5 QtWidgets.QSystemTrayIcon instead of Gtk.StatusIcon through the python-pyqt5 bindings package.

The release 2.5.0 still works with Gtk3 3.14, but I don't like to use deprecated things, which probably are soon to be removed in a future Gtk3 upgrade.
So I did the 2.6.0 release switching from Gtk3 to Qt5 now.

I like the balloon messages QSystemTrayIcon feature which render the use of a notification package unneeded.

I added a 'Close menu' choice to close the menu without choosing an action, from inside the menu rather than clicking outside it;
because clicking outside the menu renders the tray icon inactive until clicking again on it (if someone knows how to prevent this, I would be happy to read infos about that).

Hello guys,

I'm using Arch Linux with Cinnamon Desktop.
Is it possible to use Systray with Cinnamon too?
I've tried nearly everything.

Thanks for your help!

#64 2018-03-07 10:27:27

berbae

Hello
Is there not a Cinnamon System Tray applet?

You need an active system tray appli to use udisksvm.

#65 2018-03-07 16:02:19

TobiPeter

berbae wrote:

Hello
Is there not a Cinnamon System Tray applet?

You need an active system tray appli to use udisksvm.

Yes it has, but there is no icon in the system tray.

I have to say that I'm not a Linux pro, so I will tell you how I tried to install it and maybe you can say me what I've done wrong.

1. Downloaded master file from your Github.
2. Unpacked it and opened folder with latest version.
3. Copied them to: /usr/local/bin
4. Opened terminal there and ran "sudo udisksvm"
5. Terminal said that automounting is disabled and systray has been found.
6. Nothing happened.

7. Downloaded snapshot from Arch Repo
8. Unpacked it.
9. Made udisksvm.install runable and ran it in terminal, tried the same with PKBUILD.
10. Ran "sudo udisksvm"
11. = 5.
12. = 6.

Where is my mistake?

#66 2018-03-07 16:27:20

berbae

6. Nothing happened.

Nothing happens until you plug in a removable disk or memory stick.
That's normal.

But did you use 'makepkg' and 'pacman' to install udisksvm from AUR?
It's the way to go, not doing it manually from Github.

Last edited by berbae (2018-03-07 16:34:35)

#67 2018-03-07 16:50:59

TobiPeter

berbae wrote:

6. Nothing happened.

Nothing happens until you plug in a removable disk or memory stick.
That's normal.

But did you use 'makepkg' and 'pacman' to install udisksvm from AUR?
It's the way to go, not doing it manually from Github.

My mistake.
I thought that it can also manage "Hot Swap" SATA partitions. But it doesn't.

Is there maybe a way to use it for that too?
or do you know a GUI program to do that?

And thank you for your help!

#68 2018-03-08 10:01:37

berbae

Try 'udiskie' which can use tray icons.
You can install it directly with pacman from the 'Community' repo.

'udisksvm' works only on block devices with mountable partitions.

Board footer