You are not logged in.

#1001 2012-09-28 12:35:27

a3e9u

Re: luakit browser framework (almost with jQuery!)

OK, I've found the bug report and it seems it's solved, but in a later version than what I'm running. I see that I can use G and gg for home/end.
The bug report is here: https://github.com/mason-larobina/luakit/issues/108

#1002 2012-10-03 15:39:25

Ambrevar
Website

Wow, thanks for highlighting the ":help" page, nice one!

It reminds me of one of the major missing feature of Luakit imho: a comprehensive man page.
You used help2man to generate the current one, so I presume you don't have time / don't want to write it all by yourself.

I am the main author of the Luakit article on Arch Wiki, and I have some experience with Roff. So if you don't mind and if you don't want to do it yourself, I'd be happy to give a hand.
I'm also using github, so I can request a pull, it's not a problem.

Tell me.

#1003 2012-10-04 02:29:40

mason.larobina
Website

Ambrevar wrote:

Wow, thanks for highlighting the ":help" page, nice one!

It reminds me of one of the major missing feature of Luakit imho: a comprehensive man page.
You used help2man to generate the current one, so I presume you don't have time / don't want to write it all by yourself.

I am the main author of the Luakit article on Arch Wiki, and I have some experience with Roff. So if you don't mind and if you don't want to do it yourself, I'd be happy to give a hand.
I'm also using github, so I can request a pull, it's not a problem.

Tell me.

That would be fantastic, and thanks for your work on the Arch wiki page.

#1004 2012-10-04 16:40:16

SuNjACk

Is it possible to rearrange widgets in the bottom bar without editing window.lua?

#1005 2012-10-10 23:07:27

Ambrevar
Website

Hi,

The man page is ready. I've pulled a request on GitHub.
I'm still not sure about some parts, but let's discuss it on GitHub.

Hope you'll enjoy it.

#1006 2012-10-18 12:07:03

anur

Hi all,
Mason, i do enjoy the luakit and now puzzled with ability to split window in to two zones, one with hbox positioning , this one for tabs and webview and second zone for sbar and so on with vbox.
So the aim is a verical tab list on right o left side.
Thanks.

#1007 2012-10-19 17:02:04

dimchris

Hi I can not accesss drive.google.com. Error page : too many redirects. I also can not upload to dropbox. Any help ?

#1008 2012-10-19 19:02:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I can confirm problems with dropbox.  I rarely use it, so I didn't bother investigating, I just fire up firefox when I really need to access dropbox.

This is more likely a problem in the webkit base though, but perhaps a work around could be discovered.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#1009 2012-10-19 22:33:58

tobias_

Is it possible to make the browser close a tab when I right-click on it (like in dwb)?

PS: google docs problem "too many redirects" occurs here too.

Last edited by tobias_ (2012-10-19 23:56:12)

#1010 2012-10-20 10:39:14

PotatoesMaster

tobias_ wrote:

Is it possible to make the browser close a tab when I right-click on it (like in dwb)?

Add this to your ~/.config/luakit/rc.lua (copy this file from /etc/xdg/luakit/rc.lua if it does not exist), after the line require "window":

window.init_funcs.tablist_tab_click = function (w)
    w.tablist:add_signal("tab-clicked", function (_, index, mods, button)
        if button == 1 then
            w.tabs:switch(index)
            return true
        elseif button == 2 or button == 3 then
            w:close_tab(w.tabs[index])
            return true
        end
    end)
end

This function is called when a tab is clicked. The value of button depends on the button used (1 for the left button, 2 for the middle button, 3 for the right one, etc.).

#1011 2012-10-31 11:08:58

teateawhy
Website

anur wrote:

This is on my wishlist for luakit, too, because it is good for widescreens with limited height.
(Though i realize i am not in the position to demand anything around here.)
On firefox i used an addon called "Tree style Tab" showing the tabs from top to bottom in a vertical window.
Optimally the height of the window should only cover the size of the tabs.

Last edited by teateawhy (2012-10-31 11:09:08)

#1012 2012-11-04 19:52:04

mkaito
Website

A few questions I've been trying to answer over the last few days:

• Can you actually get rid of the tablist? I'm using the tabmenu plugin, and would apprecieate the extra few pixels of screen real estate.

• Can I add key bindings in mine.lua? I'd like to keep my personalizations as localized as possible, to avoid excessive diffing and merging down the road.

• Is anyone working on tab completion for bookmarks for :open ?

• Would it at all be possible to preserve per-tab history across sessions?

Last edited by mkaito (2012-11-04 19:56:43)

Fear me! I have root! Sometimes...

#1013 2012-11-04 22:00:08

teateawhy
Website

mkaito wrote:

Is anyone working on tab completion for bookmarks for :open ?

This is already implemented.
In case you have upgraded luakit without changing to the new configuration files (diffing and merging) it looks like tab completion is not working. (Happened to me once.)

mkaito wrote:

Would it at all be possible to preserve per-tab history across sessions?

You can use suspend to disk, and keep luakit running all the time as a workaround.

mkaito wrote:

I'm using the tabmenu plugin

I am interested in where to find this plugin. Can you share a link please?

#1014 2012-11-04 22:03:13

mkaito
Website

Thanks, teateawhy.

teateawhy wrote:

I am interested in where to find this plugin. Can you share a link please?

It's part of the luakit-plugins repo.

#1015 2012-11-05 07:06:50

anur

mkaito, you are rigth , tab plugin may substitute tabllist, but it need functionality like vimperator has, I mean name filtering or jump to  tab number. As for me I'm trying to do it with dmenu. smile

#1016 2012-11-05 13:24:44

mkaito
Website

To answer one of my own questions, here's how you put key binds in mine.lua:

add_binds("normal", {
	lousy.bind.key({}, "v", "Send hovered or current url to quvi/mplayer.",
	function (w) 
		local view = w.view
		local uri = view.hovered_uri or view.uri
		if uri then
			local cmd = string.format("quvi -f best %q --exec 'mplayer -prefer-ipv4 %%u'", uri)
			luakit.spawn(cmd)
		end
	end),
})

I'm not sure how this would interact with existing bindings from binds.lua, though.

EDIT: By the way, that commands uses the same backend as (c)clive to stream video straight to mplayer without downloading it first. I wasn't really pleased about clogging my home folder with random videos I'd never watch again. I have a complementary binding that actually downloads the video without playing it, into a "watch later" folder.

On that... I wonder if I can query quvi for the download url and feed it to luakit's own download system, so I can monitor and queue downloads.
Yes, yes I can. Get the URI with spawn_sync and call downloads.add(). I'm trying to figure out how to pass a suggested filename to add(), since the one webkit gets from the uri is the same for all videos of a site. You can pass a download object instead of a string, but I've been unsuccessful in trying to find where this object is documented or declared.

I found it, in downloads.c. It doesn't seem to like me trying to tell it what to name it's files, though. I guess I want Mason to chime in on this.

Last edited by mkaito (2012-11-05 15:21:49)

#1017 2012-11-08 13:22:44

shariebeth

mason.larobina wrote:
Trilby wrote:

Thanks, I hadn't, but I also don't think that is my issue for two reasons.  First, I can log in to the forums, close my browser, then reopen to bbs.archlinux.org a minute later and I still have to log in (much less than one hour).

Also, I'm only having this issue on one of my systems ... though the only real difference between the two computers is that one has been switched to systemd and the other hasn't.  This behavior started well after switching to systemd though.

This is my fault, there was a bug in cookies.lua which manifests when browsing local files which fetch external resources (images, javascript, etc).

What would happen is it would add cookies to the database without a host (what is the hostname of file:///home/user/file.html?).

Anyway you can easily tell if this is happening to you, run luakit from a terminal and you should see red (mentioning cookies).

Update luakit & run `sqlite3 ~/.local/share/luakit/cookies.db "DELETE FROM moz_cookies WHERE host IN (NULL, '');"`

Any problems just let me know.

Now I am having this problem and running that did not change a thing.  None of my cookies seem to be saved at all (for any length of time), most notably I am not being remembered on any forum I frequent (username or password).  Running the sqlite3 delete command as mason suggested did nothing, although I did not get any red cookie messages after running luakit from a terminal but I tried it just for kicks anyway and out of desperation. 

community/luakit 2012.09.13.r1-3 [installed]

I found my cookies.lua file finally but I have no idea what to adjust on it to tinker with.
In addition to simply making it work, I'd like to remove the hour timer as well.

Last edited by shariebeth (2012-11-08 13:27:25)

#1018 2012-11-09 02:35:13

mpnordland

Just wanted to say that I too get the too many redirects bug with Drive and Docs.

#1019 2012-11-10 00:23:42

archman-cro
Website

Wow, an amazing browser. Some issues/questions, though:

1. I have a problem with editing quickmarks. If I try editing my facebook quickmark, which is currently bound to 'f',I get
'quickmarks.lua:161 invalid token' if I replace 'f' with 'fb' with the 'edit' function of 'bmarks' menu.
If I manually change it in .local/share/luakit/quickmarks, the quickmark disappears like it's not there at all.

2. How to change default key bindings? I'd love to have 'B' and 'b' instead of 'gn' and 'go'.

3. Can the tab bar height be lowered? Too much space is used for size 8 font on my poor 1024x768 display.

4. Seems like the 'large/small player' button on youtube is a global webkit problem? Sometimes I cannot switch large/small players if I press on the button. Same happens on dwb.

#1020 2012-11-14 06:49:47

HiImTye

archman-cro wrote:

1. I have a problem with editing quickmarks. If I try editing my facebook quickmark, which is currently bound to 'f',I get
'quickmarks.lua:161 invalid token' if I replace 'f' with 'fb' with the 'edit' function of 'bmarks' menu.
If I manually change it in .local/share/luakit/quickmarks, the quickmark disappears like it's not there at all.

you will have to edit the function to handle multiple characters. by default it only handles a mark of one character (so, 0-9, A-Z, a-z)

2. How to change default key bindings? I'd love to have 'B' and 'b' instead of 'gn' and 'go'.

you can change the default keybindings by editing binds.lua (I would copy it to $HOME/.config/luakit/ first). the bindings you are talking about are actually in the qmarks module, so you would need to copy '/usr/share/luakit/lib/quickmarks.lua' and edit it to change them.
note: you will need to change the default binds for bookmarks (B) and go back (b)

3. Can the tab bar height be lowered? Too much space is used for size 8 font on my poor 1024x768 display.

everything in LuaKit can be changed, you just have to modify the right file. I believe that the tab bar is in '/usr/share/luakit/lib/lousy/widget/tablist.lua'

and on to my own question:
how does one add a cookie whitelist for a localhost site? I'm trying to make deluge-webUI remember my settings but adding 'localhost' 'localhost:port' '127.0.0.1' and '127.0.0.1:port' (all in combination) don't seem to to have any effect

edit: nevermind it's actually a symptom of a greater problem, as no cookies are being saved between sessions (as I discovered by actually looking at the sites I had whitelisted)
edit2: solved by updating to the latest release (https://launchpad.net/~mati75/+archive/ … hive-extra). needed to add an entry 'localhost' to cookies.whitelist

new question: does anyone have any idea how to associate magnet links with a webUI? in FF I use the 'BitTorrent WebUI+' extension to get this to work, but I haven't got an idea of where to even start with LuaKit

Last edited by HiImTye (2012-11-15 00:22:35)

#1021 2012-11-17 20:18:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

shariebeth wrote:

Now I am having this problem and running that did not change a thing.  None of my cookies seem to be saved at all (for any length of time), most notably I am not being remembered on any forum I frequent (username or password).  Running the sqlite3 delete command as mason suggested did nothing, although I did not get any red cookie messages after running luakit from a terminal ...

This symptom has returned for me recently as well.  Given the lack of red error messages when run from the terminal, and the inability of the previous fix to help the situation I say it is a similar symptom, though it probably has a different underlying cause.

Edit: oops, I just read the post right above mine.  That works, thanks HilmTye.  FYI: I installed the latest from luakit-git in AUR and that did the trick.

FYI: It seems only the new version is needed.  On my second computer I upgraded to luakit-git but didn't add localhost to cookies.whitelist, and it still works just fine.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-11-17 23:32:31)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#1022 2012-11-17 21:24:43

shariebeth

Excellent!
luakit-git from AUR fixes the saved cookie problem for me too.
Thank you HilmTye and Trilby. 
(If you hadn't posted Trilby, I never would have seen HilmTye's edit!)

#1023 2012-11-23 08:43:23

HiImTye

does anyone know how to make LuaKit (or WebKit) use more than one core? there's no separate process for Flash and some Flash apps are quite demanding and start lagging when the one core maxes out

..or perhaps how to make LuaKit (or WebKit) use a separate plugin-container type process?

Last edited by HiImTye (2012-11-23 08:45:20)

#1024 2012-11-25 22:10:39

tdy

I only saw a couple mentions of vertical side tabs, but didn't seem to find any definitive answers.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1177747

anur wrote:

Hi all,
Mason, i do enjoy the luakit and now puzzled with ability to split window in to two zones, one with hbox positioning , this one for tabs and webview and second zone for sbar and so on with vbox.
Thanks.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 6#p1184526

teateawhy wrote:

This is on my wishlist for luakit, too, because it is good for widescreens with limited height.
(Though i realize i am not in the position to demand anything around here.)
On firefox i used an addon called "Tree style Tab" showing the tabs from top to bottom in a vertical window.
Optimally the height of the window should only cover the size of the tabs.

Are there plans to add the ability to have tabs on the side? Or maybe it's already possible? Thanks.

#1025 2012-11-29 19:42:28

HiImTye

I was having problems getting the black about:blank method I found in google working (https://github.com/mason-larobina/luaki … -Questions), since it was causing LuaKit to struggle to open any pages after about:blank, so instead I just made a simple userstyle for it. this goes in ~/.local/share/luakit/scripts

about:blank.user.js

// ==UserScript==
// @name           black about:blank
// @include        about:blank
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    document.bgColor="000000"
})();

and to make all of the 'basic' bars (including the input bar) black, I put the following into my ~/.config/luakit/rc.lua

theme.font                  = "ubuntu mono bold 9"
theme.sbar_fg               = "#0af"
theme.sbar_bg               = "#000"
theme.ibar_fg               = "#0f0"
theme.ibar_bg               = "#000"
theme.tab_fg                = "#48f"
theme.tab_bg                = "#000"
theme.tab_ntheme            = "#555"
theme.selected_fg           = "#0f0"
theme.selected_bg           = "#000"
theme.selected_ntheme       = "#555"
theme.loading_fg            = "#fff"
theme.loaded_fg             = "#fff"

you will probably want to change the font, unless you have Ubuntu Mono. if you want the Ubuntu fonts they're here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/ttf- … ont-family
here's how it looks: http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5125/s … 211301.png

lastly, to get the tab bar to be always visible (even with only one tab) I had to copy window.lua to ~/.config/luakit and comment out

--        if #tabs < 2 then tabs, current = {}, 0 end

I've been waiting to post a suggestion on github to make a togglable variable but my confirmation email hasn't arrived yet and I had forgotten about it until now

edit: added screenshot and link to fonts

Last edited by HiImTye (2012-11-30 21:16:17)

Board footer